Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

03 Cobra owner thinking bout comin back**Have some questions/need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 12:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Cobra owner thinking bout comin back**Have some questions/need help

Hello everyone,

As the thread says, I currently own an 03 Whipple putting down about 580ish, car has gone 10.95 at 129, 101 in 1/8th e.t.c..

I have owned a vette before (99 Conv) and am seriously considering going with a vette again. Was wondering if some of you that are veterans here that have been there done that with diff Vette setups could maybe chim ein and help with suggestions that may send me in right direction.

A little background, and someinsight on what I am looking for: Any help is greatly appreciated.

First off let me say that I 'm 6'7 and to be honest--if I could somewhat be comfortable fit in a C6 I would start there. I CAN fit (allthough snug) in a C5 and that is why I may, out of necessity need to stick with a C5. By the way, if anyone Knows for sure how to get extra leg room in the C6 by any means possible PLEASE let me know. I have been told that the plate/board behind the seat back can't be messed with due to the tank being right there, or even the frame there?? Again please--if anyone knows how to get an extra 2-3 inches by somehow getting the seat to move back I will basicallyPAY you to make that happen.

I am in amode right now where I can either stick with something I can play with and have fun, or jus tgo super comfortable and smoothe and not worry about any warranty issues and or th possible perrils of madding a car and just grab a 745i and be done for a while..

With all of that above stated... These are the things I would like to know...

*** What would you all recommend/suggest I do with the following in mind.

#1 First and foremost I want the car to be as as issue free as possible, no tuning problems, no lopey idle, as quiet as possible, and stock like drivability.

#2 I want about 500-520 rwhp. At this level, with me in a Z the car will weigh about 3400 lbs. Using the follwoing calculator http://www.theddddirectory.com/calcu...4mileET_HP.php (hopefully that's ok to paste that??) will leave me with "generally" a high 10 sec car.

This is all I need... THere isn't a track I can go to that will allow me to play at that level without a cage,and I'm not caging the car..

#3 I assume my goals are easily obtainable.?? But I am curious... I hear many talk about the pistons and rods in the Vettes and I wanted to ask the experts---what is the true limit if these parts? Some say 450 rwhp?? some say 530ish-550is ??? Thats a big swing..

I have had some suggest doing a procharger stage 2 kit--keep it at 6#'s max to stay good on 93 octane , safe tune it, Long tubes and be done. That that combo should produce 500-510 all day long and I should be good..

Does all this jive?? I'm not used to the non forged pistons and good rods deal, but that's why I'm asking..

I understand the necessity of a good tune. My concerns are that a ZO6 that is already at 11:1 doesnt leave much room for boost as it is... Am I crazy here? Are there tons of Prochargers/Maggies/Vortechs running around like this with no issues??

If I CAN fit into a C6 I would really like to do a MAggie set up on it and be done.

Please guys and gals--tell me what you think/recommend. I know it's a lot of questions but please help out if you can. Thank you very much.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Chris
Old 10-26-2007, 08:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are my thoughts on your questions...

1.) Nowadays, the blower kits are much better than when they first came out, whether you choose Procharger, Novi, or Magnacharger. And, running at low boost levels will keep problems to a min. I would guess the Kenne Belle kit would work well too, but it is fairly new for the Vettes and I haven't seen too many posts on it. However, if you're looking for quiet, as you know, blowers aren't exactly known for their stealthiness. The whistle at idle can be kinda loud if you don't like it. If that's the case, you may want to check into the ECS Novi 2000 kits. Although it would be way overkill for what you want, the Novi's are supposed to be ALOT quieter than the Prochargers. Plus, it would leave you plenty of room for expansion (800+rwhp) if you so choose to in the future. The folks at ECS are great guys and have an excellent kit. If you choose Procharger, give Bob at Exotic a call and he'll hook you up. Of course, if you want total stealth, you could also check into the APS turbo kit. That way you wouldn't have to worry about the whine and still easily make 500+rwhp. Again, I think it is fairly new, so you would have to research the results people are having.

2.) Not sure on this one, but you should be pretty close. You may need to lighten up the car or get a little more power to hit the 10's. I'm sure more of the seasoned track vets (no pun intended) will chime in here.

3.) This is basically the luck of the draw. Some people get 500rwhp and the stock motor goes within a day or two. Others have 600+rwhp with FI and the stock motor and are still running strong after a year or two. If you can afford to go forged in the beginning, go ahead and do it for the peace of mind. Otherwise, just expect the worst and if the motor lasts, be happy. Plus, 500rwhp is pretty common today (on FI) and tuners have alot of experience tuning them, even on 91oct.

Good luck!

Gary
Old 10-26-2007, 09:02 PM
10 Second Club

Buy a C5 Z06, and Procharge it. My friend is making 603 with that, and a full exhaust and a nice tune. No lopey idle, nothing too loud, etc. I'd go for that in your situation.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

I have a ECS Novi 2k on my 00c5 Nice setup ,Chris has enginnered a nice kit,the kit is being installed now ,95% complete ,i have to hook up blower gauge & elec fuel pressure gauge,i have TPIS lngtubehdrs,ECScam,3600yank,3.42 grs,Z06intk,patriot stg2 5.7ltr hds,Msd2350Bap,Flt tranny, 60LB lbinjctrs, ,PortedShanerTb,LpeHardendhalfShaft,CompLifters, O ya i went ahead & Bought a 402 For my Back up just in case ,the 346 is stock interNals with a 3.75 pulley i should make 8lbs of boost = 530 to 550 rwhp ,I am running an A4 Btw theres a Fellow over @ CFforum Who has the same kit i do ,RUNNINg an Auto ,& Has never taken the heads off the car Running 10.30s with Stock heads with the Novi2k on the C5 corvette,I have video if u want

Last edited by vette#3; 10-26-2007 at 09:15 PM.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

A GTO is the only LS based car that I can think of that has a shot in hell of comfortably fitting a 6'7" tall person.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Aftermarket seats may help, theyre usually a bit deeper than stock stuff.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:29 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by gametech
A GTO is the only LS based car that I can think of that has a shot in hell of comfortably fitting a 6'7" tall person.
+1, my legs felt cramped in a vette and am pretty squished in the camaro. the gto felt very roomy and loved the interior. but to stay on topic....f1r
Old 10-28-2007, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

im 6'5" and around 300lbs, i can fit comfortably in a c5 Z and the c6 is a tad but tighter. i also know a guy thats 6'9" and he fits very comfortably in a GTO.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I'd get the C6 if you fit comfortably in it. More $$ up front, but it's a much better package to start with. Especially the 08 model with the new LS3. The 08 model also has the benefit of much better steering control and suspension. I've seen "stripper" models for just under 40K in the Maryland/DC/Virginia area.

If you fit ok in an 03 Cobra, I'm not sure you'll notice too much difference in head room in the Vette. The Cobra has always struck me as a "small car", but that's due to the width, not the seat height. I am not a fan of "rubbing elbows" with the passanger. That's why I like my Camaro. My dad has an 03 Cobra. Fun to drive, but I always feel like the passanger is sitting in my lap......and hitting my knuckles on the radio when shifting into third gear (not to mention reaching into never-never land for the shifter) sucks. The Vette w/ FI would also have the added benefit of not starting to accelerate and then roasting the tires upon hitting 4K RPM in 1st and 2nd gear. Having a Cobra, you know exactly what I'm referring to

The GTO struck me as a nice car, but it's also a narrow car too (compared to the Camaro). You may sit nicely in it, but the width is what makes you feel "claustrophobic". The benefit of the GTO is that the aftermarket parts are cheaper than the Vette.

My personal suggestion, go test drive the Vette (and the GTO). That'll answer your Q.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:51 AM

I want to say thank you to ALL of you for answering. I am so torn.. It sucks. I know I can fit in a C5, I had one, and yeah it was tight but it was ok.. The C6's, I swear I love them soo much. I did not like them when they first came out, didn't like the headlights and thought the back end looked like it was just cut off. Then after about a month or two I started seeing them driving around. Now, I can't find a bad angle.

I went and spoke with Robby and Corvette masters and I plan on talking also with Geoff at NLP soon after I get back from SEMA. I looked behind the seat of a C6 and it looks like behind that lay over cover pc that there may be a couple extra inches I can gain there. The problem is though ( I think) that when I look at the seat rail, the far bolt in the back is at the very end of the rail, AND it appears that the rail itself is recessed into the floor a little leading me to believe that even if I did gain some inches behind the seat back, that the track rail itself (and where the seal rides on it) may not be able to be improved on. Which totally SUCKS>>> Uggh, it is so frustrating to not be able to fit in a car that you want to drive...

Oh well, I will try again to see if there is any way to do this.. If I figure out a way, I will get a C6 and prob go with a Novi and keep it quiet/reliable / and about 530ish.

If anyone else has any other suggestions pls let me know. and thanks again very much for answering / helping. !!!!
Old 10-30-2007, 04:52 PM
Teching In

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae6NKc29JKA

The editor from grassroots motorsports shows how to get more head and legroom out of a c5 if you were interested. I love that magazine
Old 10-30-2007, 07:54 PM
10 Second Club

you can't go wrong with a C6 and a Maggie, Whipple, Kenne Bell, or any of the centrifugals. They will all make that power easy. Definitely go on the bigger side of head units. You know and I know you will want to make a little more power and want room to grow.

The current trend is turbos, APS makes a real nice clean turbo kit for that car. I'm sure Geoff will recommend it cause he installs them.

Whatever route you go, make sure to spend the money on the fuel system. Over engineer it. Trust me on this.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At 6'8 250 pounds I fit in a C5 Z but C6 was way too cramped. I couldnt even turn shift without my leg hitting the steering wheel or pushing my leg up against the drivers side door trying to get around the wheel. Also, I agree doesnt looklike there is much room to adjust the seat, and the worst thing is driving uncomfortably, so id say unless someone has a solution for the seating in the C6 id pass. Def get eithr a C5 Z or a C5 FRC and toss a kenne bell on there and be done with it.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:59 PM

HEy Everyone, again, thank you so mauch for the suggestions andinfo.

Was at SEMAthis wholeweek, andtalked to Geoff and Next level. We are goingto try hard to see if there is anything we can do to fit my big *** int he C6 and then go with an APS TT kit. Man they soooo nice. was looking at the kits at thier booth, and geez, it's just so complete, I really think it's the way to go.

On that note--- How far can and will the stock clutch hang in there at 550 rwhp??? Is next best bet going with a Z clutch??

Thanks again.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Somewhere Between Mild Insanity and Complete Psychosis

ECS NOVI KIT and blower cam.

Mid tens.

ProCharger's kit is garbage compared to the ECS and A&A kits. Better intercooler/plumbing, better brackets, especially ECS.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1844701
Old 11-04-2007, 08:26 PM

Thanks , yea man it is hard to discount the ECS and AA kits... AndI'm even thinkin that I might be better off going with an auto as well. Are the Yank 3200's and 3600's I see everyone running tight? I assume so.. Wondering how drivability would be..

Can get some C5's non Z's pretty cheap. Make the Tranny stout and then build the power from there. But then again, the Z's I thinkk will hold value better. Uggh, constant choices.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:50 AM
10 Second Club

Pro Yank 3400 is what Yank will recommend. Its a very tight converter, personally it didn't flash high enough for me.

I'd go with the Pro Yank 3600 , it'll hit the tires less harder and you'll be more efficient up top.

a SS3600 will probably do the job and it will be cheaper.

If you do go auto you will need your 4l60e built. (figure 2 grand for that) , the current trend is to go with the 4l80e which is a truck tranny. A stock one will probably hold up real well, you can get those built to handle 1000-1200 hp and still have a nice overdrive.

go Z06 if you do a C5 or standard C6. Personally I think the C6 looks better.

Quick Reply: 03 Cobra owner thinking bout comin back**Have some questions/need help