Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Muffler shop damaged my turbo, need help in fixing

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muffler shop damaged my turbo, need help in fixing

Hey guys, so unfortunately for my quest to quiet down my car resulted in the destruction of my GT-67 exhaust turbine.

Apparently without my knowledge the muffler shop welded a muffler near the turbo but didnt disconnect the turbo. Well when I drove home I heard jingle bells coming from my car. Took it apart and found 3 giant dabs of weld floating around, bent the exhaust turbine and also chipped a part of it.

Now I am looking for replacement turbines but I am in the shadows of how this works.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Old 11-04-2007, 11:33 PM
Teching In

I would hope the muffler shop is going to pay for the damage they created.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:40 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why did they put a muffler near the turbo...wheres is it at a rear mount? what did you go up there for and ask them to do?
Old 11-04-2007, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

first i had a magna flow muffler with 2 glasspacks not installed

i first asked if they could put 1 glasspack per side of the y pipe and then the magna flow where the y pipe connected.

Then he said he could do something better with using one glasspack and magna flow

They welded magnaflow right before the flange of the turbo, it would have been fine if the turbo was disconnected, i didnt know... but i found out that big chunks of weld was left in the muffler which got into the exhaust turbine

pics of the weld pieces on the way, pics of the damaged turbine tomorrow

i have a small t04b I am putting on just so I can drive it around, since i dont feel like plugging oil holes, ect.

But I do need help on what to do for rebuilding. I am just curious on how much a rebuild could possibly be.

Another note: what are my choices on recourse with the shop? The bad part is I did not get a reciept since it was a 30 dollar job, I didn't bother to have it but I do have evidence of welding bits, compared to the weld job.

I will go back there tomorrow and talk to the guy.

Last edited by Cchris1109; 11-04-2007 at 11:59 PM.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah no crap.. They should be smart enough and competent enough to not break someone else's stuff for one... For two, if they are a good shop they should have enough customer relation to right their wrongs.. Goodluck bro..
Old 11-05-2007, 12:15 AM
12 Second Club

before bringing it to there attention they fucked up go back and ask for a recipt
Old 11-05-2007, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99DWPTA
before bringing it to there attention they fucked up go back and ask for a recipt
haha "hey can I get a reciept?"
"thanks"

"oh hey you kinda fucked up my turbo"
Old 11-05-2007, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

but i also need help on replacing this broken turbine, anyone know a website or what not. Curious on the price of the actual turbine.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:32 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WTF? I don't understand.... they welded in a muffler BEFORE the turbo??
Old 11-05-2007, 02:23 AM
TECH Resident

I dont think that muffler shop is responsible AT ALL. There was NEVER a factory turbo in the rear of a car. You brought a highly unorthodox modified car into their shop and YOU should have gone over everything with them and warned them that it would need to be disconnected.

In my opinion you are solely to blame for this. That shop is not repsonsible in the least bit. They have done probably ten thousand cars, and i bet your the only one with a turbo in the back like that. It is not their responsibility to know about these things in my opinion.

On another note, why were you welding in glasspacks/mufflers in fronty of your turbo again?
Old 11-05-2007, 10:04 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by BIG BAD BLACKSS
I dont think that muffler shop is responsible AT ALL. There was NEVER a factory turbo in the rear of a car. You brought a highly unorthodox modified car into their shop and YOU should have gone over everything with them and warned them that it would need to be disconnected.

In my opinion you are solely to blame for this. That shop is not repsonsible in the least bit. They have done probably ten thousand cars, and i bet your the only one with a turbo in the back like that. It is not their responsibility to know about these things in my opinion.

On another note, why were you welding in glasspacks/mufflers in fronty of your turbo again?

Although he might be the only one with a turbo in the back,and maybe they never seen a turbo located like that,that is the first sign of the muffler shop to STOP working on the car until they consult the owner!! If the muffler shop is unsure or any other shop for that matter, they should of just stop working on it!The guy who brought in the car is not a welder or muffler guy,so he is leaving it to the expert's in that field to take care of him and in the end the muffler shop screwed up something!The muffler shop should pay for damage's.That is why they have insurance,Hopefully!

Last edited by HUNTER02SS; 11-05-2007 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

well i feel the muffler shop didnt do it properly, the welds were very sloppy and when you find pieces of weld this size *pics down below* good to know i dont have exhaust leaks

i have a free flowing muffler and i want it to be quieter, i dont care for the spool up, cause i hardly noticed anything.

and when they have a 67 camaro ss in the back of the shop fully decked out with a blower...i would assume they know something about highly unorthodox cars. the guy was even asking me about boost and whp numbers.

sorry for bad pics, the shiny piece is a quarter:

Old 11-05-2007, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

update: well i talked to the muffler shop

they were very friendly and helpful, they asked me to bring the car in tomorrow so they can look at the turbo and the welder bits to see if they can fix it
Old 11-05-2007, 06:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lets hope they don't try welding up your turbine.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Give Jose at Force Inductions (sponsor) a call. I and many others on this site have used him for all our turbo repairs.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:26 AM
Launching!

Default interesting

interesting topic.. funny thing when i got a y pipe made.. i told them you cant get any pieces of weld inside the pipe... because when you start the car the only place those pieces can go is through the turbo.. they said ok.... later they day they called and said my cars done.. i go to pick it up... start it.. and of course you can hear the weld pieces boucing off the turbo.. i mean wtf when they started the car didnt they notice this... and when i told them to be carefull, didnt they figure id notice when i start the car.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:28 AM
TECH Resident

Any update on this?
Old 11-10-2007, 09:55 AM
TECH Addict

**** me I'd snap, I don't trust anybody

Quick Reply: Muffler shop damaged my turbo, need help in fixing