Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

P1SC + 385 ci LT4 Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default P1SC + 385 ci LT4 Question

I am trying to figure out my best options for setting up the "most efficient" engine combination for mainly street use (not a max effort or track car).
Engine:
385 ci LT4 built by SDPC
Callies Magnum Crank
Manley 5.7 rods
JE flat top pistons
10.5 to 1 CR
Titanium retainers, SD1007 valve springs, manley steel valves
Lingenfelter Ported heads and intake
4 bolt main LT4 block
Gm LT4 Hot cam
485 FWHP at 6300 rpm
467 FWTQ at 4600

I want to run this engine with a Twin Intercoooled P1SC Procharger system at about 7-8 psi (to keep pump gas). I already have this kit otherwise I would have gone F1 or Turbo.

I already plan to buy...
60 lb/hr injectors
Walbro fuel pump
Pacesetter LT headers and Y pipe
Custom dyno tune
MSD Pro Billet Opti

Will this combination work for street use, and make about 600 RWHP?
Would a cam change, front mount intercooler, D1SC upgrade, or Piston change really improve this setup to justify the cost? I don't want or need over 600 RWHP, but I want to get near that number.
Any recommendations would be great.
Thanks
Old 11-11-2007, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A P1SC on a built 355 would do 600RWHP IMO.
That 385 is a pretty efficent motor, and a P1SC would not have to work overally hard to achieve your goals, so pump gas would not be a problem (Hell 15lbs can be done on pump gas) Just get a REALLY good tune and make a 4inch setup off the blower, the stock ATI setup is very restrictive on the LTX cars.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I highly sugest a FMIC like the one Exotic performance offers.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm not sure if that FMIC from Exotic performance will work with a 93-97 Trans Am nose.

Maybe Bob will will chime in on this thread and let us know... I would love to find out myself!
Old 11-11-2007, 08:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GrnDragon
I am trying to figure out my best options for setting up the "most efficient" engine combination for mainly street use (not a max effort or track car).
Engine:
385 ci LT4 built by SDPC
Callies Magnum Crank
Manley 5.7 rods
JE flat top pistons
10.5 to 1 CR
Titanium retainers, SD1007 valve springs, manley steel valves
Lingenfelter Ported heads and intake
4 bolt main LT4 block
Gm LT4 Hot cam
485 FWHP at 6300 rpm
467 FWTQ at 4600

I want to run this engine with a Twin Intercoooled P1SC Procharger system at about 7-8 psi (to keep pump gas). I already have this kit otherwise I would have gone F1 or Turbo.

I already plan to buy...
60 lb/hr injectors
Walbro fuel pump
Pacesetter LT headers and Y pipe
Custom dyno tune
MSD Pro Billet Opti

Will this combination work for street use, and make about 600 RWHP?
Would a cam change, front mount intercooler, D1SC upgrade, or Piston change really improve this setup to justify the cost? I don't want or need over 600 RWHP, but I want to get near that number.
Any recommendations would be great.
Thanks
First of all I love your car I am pretty sure I have seen it on cardomain. I think you should just get a D-1 kit and don't waste anytime with the P-1sc, Also you have a built motor that will def support a D-1 with 15 psi that will get you to 750rwhp. Also I have researched alot and a self contained on a LTX motor will get too hot because our unit is close to the header and they leak because the seal will get too hot and there goes all the oil and the blower will ****. If I was you I would def get a just a D-1 kit. Talk to Bob he is extremely helpful. But I understand because you already have the kit if 600 is your goal then go for it.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:31 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by phantomLT1
First of all I love your car I am pretty sure I have seen it on cardomain. I think you should just get a D-1 kit and don't waste anytime with the P-1sc, Also you have a built motor that will def support a D-1 with 15 psi that will get you to 750rwhp. Also I have researched alot and a self contained on a LTX motor will get too hot because our unit is close to the header and they leak because the seal will get too hot and there goes all the oil and the blower will ****. If I was you I would def get a just a D-1 kit. Talk to Bob he is extremely helpful. But I understand because you already have the kit if 600 is your goal then go for it.

Originally Posted by GrnDragon

reading is good
Old 11-11-2007, 10:37 PM
TECH Resident

Don´t get a MSD opti get a LTCC or Delteq ignition
Get a Custom Cam from Lingendelter or to match the Port work or Port Pros,Cam Motion are good
Keep the P1sc

600rwhp is not a goal,that´s esay
Old 11-11-2007, 10:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Frost
reading is good

But I understand because you already have the kit if 600 is your goal then go for it.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Houdini
I'm not sure if that FMIC from Exotic performance will work with a 93-97 Trans Am nose.

Maybe Bob will will chime in on this thread and let us know... I would love to find out myself!
It sure does

Old 11-12-2007, 11:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your Green Dragon looks badass. That should be a great combo - very similar to what I am running, except mine is a 383 SBC with Vortec-style heads instead of LT4.

Plenty of low end with the cubes, kickass mid-range and screamin top end...

Jim
Old 11-12-2007, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys this is all great information. This engine combo is actually for my 93 Orange and Black TA, the Lime Green TA is still waiting for an engine.

I'm only shooting for 600 RWHP so I don't need to upgrade the Transmission AGAIN (I just bought the Performabuilt Level II) and I can use the stock fuel system with an upgraded pump and adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

With the EPP Front Mount, since there kit is designed for the LS1, do you just order the intercooler for $299 or will all the piping work for the LT1?

-Is a Cam swap necessary to get 600 RWHP?
-What would be the better upgrade the MSD Opti or the Delteq?
Old 11-12-2007, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is a Cam swap necessary to get 600 RWHP?
-What would be the better upgrade the MSD Opti or the Delteq?
The LT4 hotcam is a 218/228 on a 112 with .525 lift, not a bad cam IMO for forced induction but I would opt for a little better grind if you got the money. If not then don't worry you'll still make crazy power with the hotcam.
I have had the Delteq on my car since about a week after they came out, same wires and everything. I plan on using it still here in a few months when the blower setup goes in.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I can't back what I'm going to recommend with experience...

Even though it's a small blower, I think it'll get you there because the LT4's flow really well. But, I would get the FMIC if you don't mind doing a FMIC. You're looking for a reliable street car.. Keep the IATs lower with a FMIC, tune to 600rwhp, and you can avoid some detonation.

Personally, I know where you're coming from about pump gas... I don't want to be adding meth, race fuel, anything like that... But LS1tech has convinced me otherwise.... Either add something to your pump, or just don't set your goals to high.. My goals will be higher than yours, but you're using pump. You're putting trust in a gas station actually giving you the 93 you're paying for... (Although I don't think the FMIC is required) If you're getting something lower than premium 91-94 octane, a FMIC will give you an extra layer of security
Old 11-12-2007, 02:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mahhddgtp
I can't back what I'm going to recommend with experience...

Even though it's a small blower, I think it'll get you there because the LT4's flow really well. But, I would get the FMIC if you don't mind doing a FMIC. You're looking for a reliable street car.. Keep the IATs lower with a FMIC, tune to 600rwhp, and you can avoid some detonation.

Personally, I know where you're coming from about pump gas... I don't want to be adding meth, race fuel, anything like that... But LS1tech has convinced me otherwise.... Either add something to your pump, or just don't set your goals to high.. My goals will be higher than yours, but you're using pump. You're putting trust in a gas station actually giving you the 93 you're paying for... (Although I don't think the FMIC is required) If you're getting something lower than premium 91-94 octane, a FMIC will give you an extra layer of security
Good info, I am also curious about the FMIC that Bob is selling if it will work for my car and the price after you figure it out please keep me updated on your build I love that car. If that P-1sc is used I would make damn sure it has good seal on it. I have heard horror stories about those self-contained blowers on LT cars leaking because our unit is right by header it is a heatsoaked ***** and procharger will not cover it they will tell you to buy a new blower. This is not from personal experience but people that have ran those self contained blowers on LT cars.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

I bought epp's front mount and did my own piping, but I hear the piping for ls1 cars is just slightly different for us lt1 folks.
As far as the self contained units heat soaking issue and ruining seals, I have yet to run into any problems on that issue.
Good luck with the build!
Old 11-12-2007, 04:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Funkybird
I bought epp's front mount and did my own piping, but I hear the piping for ls1 cars is just slightly different for us lt1 folks.
As far as the self contained units heat soaking issue and ruining seals, I have yet to run into any problems on that issue.
Good luck with the build!
How does the air get directed to the FMIC with the LT1 T/A nose?

I'm sure it gets plenty of air with the nose off, but how's it's efficiency with the nose on... it dosent get the license plate cut-out like the LS1 front end.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Houdini
How does the air get directed to the FMIC with the LT1 T/A nose?

I'm sure it gets plenty of air with the nose off, but how's it's efficiency with the nose on... it dosent get the license plate cut-out like the LS1 front end.
I am wondering the same thing! I do not want to cut any holes in the nose of my car! Can holes be cut in the bottom of the nose and deflect enough air to the intercooler?
Old 11-14-2007, 04:51 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our front mount intercooler kit will indeed work with an LT1, only one tube needs to be reworked. We did the LT1 front mount intercooler install on Call911's Camaro, and it came out really well.
Call911 drives his car back and forth from New Jersey to Indiana quite often, as he has relatives in Indiana.
As far as heat with the self contained ProCharger on an LT1 F body, we have never had a heat problem with them. My brother's '95 Formula has had an ATI ProCharger P-1SC for five years with no problems. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...tCar.php?car=7 Bob
Old 11-14-2007, 12:38 PM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've got Bob's FMIC kit as well and it needs modifying. How much is up to you but it can be done w/ modifying the one tube. I modified 2 tubes as I wanted it to tuck up better underneathe the car. You can view my pics here to get an idea. It is a great kit for the money.

http://fbodyeurope.org/Gallery/main....y-Ghost-Album/
Old 11-14-2007, 07:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
Our front mount intercooler kit will indeed work with an LT1, only one tube needs to be reworked. We did the LT1 front mount intercooler install on Call911's Camaro, and it came out really well.
Call911 drives his car back and forth from New Jersey to Indiana quite often, as he has relatives in Indiana.
As far as heat with the self contained ProCharger on an LT1 F body, we have never had a heat problem with them. My brother's '95 Formula has had an ATI ProCharger P-1SC for five years with no problems. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...tCar.php?car=7 Bob
Bob, thanks for the info... but that really didn't answer the questions we had asked.

We (those of us with LT1 Trans Am noses) would like to know if your FMIC has ever been applied to our style of front end?

If so, how is the efficiency of your FMIC affected by the LT1 T/A nose (if at all)?

Can anything be done to increase it's efficiency with the LT1 T/A nose... aside from cutting a gapping hole in the front?

Again... This is for a LT1 Trans Am nose.

I mean absolutly zero disrespect with my line of questioning... just want to know if your product is an option for our cars. I really want it to be an option, as I've narrowed down my future forced induction plans to a F1A + FMIC from you, or just sending the whole damn car to SPEED INC for a custom turbo setup.

Believe me, my wallet wants your option to be #1... and I'm inclined to agree with it. But I want results and my money will go where I can get them.

GrnDragon - Been following your car for a while... your T/A is mint!

Quick Reply: P1SC + 385 ci LT4 Question