Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Consistancy of a turbo car in bracket/index racing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 02:50 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Consistancy of a turbo car in bracket/index racing?

I am in a bind on what I want to do. As everyone knows turbo cars can produce some very good numbers and track times, but how consistent are they at the track?
I bracket/index race my car quite frequently and do not plan to build a turbo car that would be a contender in a LSX Drag Radial class or any other class of that sort. anywhere from a consistent 9.50- 10.0 car is what I would be happy with.

I know with the way the car is setup now, by adding a dedicated fuel cell, some weight reduction, and the trans (TH400) with a brake I can get my car in the range that I am looking for. Of course there is the drawback to nitrous, is always filling bottles and not having the power on tap on the street.
I realize with the turbo the car will be much more street friendly in aspects of idle quality and overall drive ability. This is one of the main things drawing me towards a turbo setup.

The question is not what kit or combo I am using (Though it would would probally be 408 - 427 CI with an 88MM turbo) The question I have is, how consistent can I make a turbo car? One thing that comes into play is building boost the same time,every time out of the gate and not suffering reaction time. Are 2 steps that reliable to be able to do that? I know I will not nail it down the first time out, any setup takes tweaking.

Is there anyone out that that actually races bracket/index with a turbo car and has kept it consistent?

I am not planning to do this over the winter, would be more like a over the next 2 years. I would just like to get some input from people that have raced turbo cars and maybe help sway my decision.

Thanks,
Leo
Old 11-21-2007, 03:03 PM
10 & 11 Second Club

I have not run a turbo car but I do bracket race all year and run heads up races with my Purple car. You dont see many fast turbo cars bracket racing probably because you can have traction issues much more of the time then NA cars. Many turbo guys are good on the tree but inconsistant due to traction in the heads up races I`m at.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Caveman
I have not run a turbo car but I do bracket race all year and run heads up races with my Purple car. You dont see many fast turbo cars bracket racing probably because you can have traction issues much more of the time then NA cars. Many turbo guys are good on the tree but inconsistant due to traction in the heads up races I`m at.
I understand that the traction would be an issue. This is another part that I have looked into with leaving on lower boost and relying on a boost controller to control the waste gate to ramp in the boost as needed.
A nitrous car with a big hit can be the same way, but with a progressive controller can help ease most of that. This also wears on solenoids a little more than it normally would by simply opening and closing and being pulsed.

Is a 2 step reliable enough where you can consistently make "X" amount of boost and leave the same every time?

I understand that weather is going to have a big effect on performance. If it slows the car down that is fine. I would just like to keep it consistent.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, theoretically, it should be just as reliable/consistent as a blown/na car, just make sure you don't go messing with things (ie boost controller, leaving at different r's, adjusting 2-step, etc). If you leave on a brake at 4500 every time, and hook the same every time, you should run within a few hundredths every time also.

Quick Reply: Consistancy of a turbo car in bracket/index racing?