Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Couple pics of custom rear mount install....

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 08:24 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple pics of custom rear mount install....

It's coming along slowly but here are some pics of my rear mount turbo install so far.....
Attached Thumbnails Couple pics of custom rear mount install....-hot-side.jpg   Couple pics of custom rear mount install....-rear-view.jpg   Couple pics of custom rear mount install....-cold-side.jpg  
Old 11-25-2007, 08:53 AM
12 Second Club

Looks like a good time, bet you can't wait to get it done.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:31 AM
On The Tree

this is the sts rear mount ?I guess that may have been a dumb question,i havent seen but 1 rear mount for the camaro,& it was the sts kit .How many pounds of boost are u plan on running ?I have a friend who has a Turbo rear mount sts ,he blew his motor up lol trying to outrun another Buddy of mine 06 Z06,He put a new motor in his car with forged internals,the day he gets it back ,he turns out of the High performance shop & Some drunk t bones him & Totals his car ,he is in the process of putting it back together now ,good luck with the rear mounts
Old 11-25-2007, 09:39 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by vette#3
this is the sts rear mount ?I guess that may have been a dumb question,i havent seen but 1 rear mount for the camaro,& it was the sts kit .How many pounds of boost are u plan on running ?I have a friend who has a Turbo rear mount sts ,he blew his motor up lol trying to outrun another Buddy of mine 06 Z06,He put a new motor in his car with forged internals,the day he gets it back ,he turns out of the High performance shop & Some drunk t bones him & Totals his car ,he is in the process of putting it back together now ,good luck with the rear mounts
Jeesh that's insane
Old 11-25-2007, 10:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Are you going to run the cold pipe under the axle? I got my pipes custom mandrel bent from the turbo to the intercooler to the TB for $380
Old 11-25-2007, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^^ looks good
Old 11-25-2007, 03:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that looks cool b4cya

i am in the middle of the same process.....i like your small but useful brackets that are supporting the turbo......i have all kinds of problems using the over the axle exhaust and the rubber grammet that holds the filter to be the only things keeping the turbo off the ground.......i will prob be doing the same thig you have done
looks good man
Old 11-25-2007, 08:01 PM
10 Second Club

wow you tucked that up nice.... lookin good!

as for the charge pipe going over the axle, i had nothing but problems with it banging stuff. my PH bar is bent now because of it... route it under the axle
Old 11-25-2007, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a question but keep in mind I have very limited FI knowledge compared to most of you FI gurus.

Wouldnt hard mounting the turbo like that be bad for it, dont you want some kind of dampener in there to keep all the shocks and vibrations from being transfered directly to it and the turbo and connected parts have no piece to relief them. Im talking about something like a polyurethan shock absorber or something like that.

I was asking cause I always thought that was the reason a bunch of those stainless turbo headers break and crack, hell Ive seen 3 cast turbo manifolds break on a VERY small turbo Mr2 spyder but he did have the HARDEST/STIFFEST suspension Ive ever seen, he had less than 2" of wheel travel from full sag to fully loaded,s o that could have added to the problem, to bad it was complete overkill and just hurt the handling though.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks nice and safe....tucked in very well! Cant wasit to see it finished
Old 11-26-2007, 01:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by B4Cya
It's coming along slowly but here are some pics of my rear mount turbo install so far.....
what turbo is that?? looks like Holset on the cover. how much do you see this custom costing??

thanks Chris.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:39 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the responses guys.

The kit has been fabbed up from parts. It's got pacesetter mids with the EGR crap deleted, welded the crossover pipe and deleted the cat. From there it's a stock 2.5" stock I pipe to the custom built rear section/bracket. All of the exhaust fittings have header collector flanges so the exhaust can easily come apart.

The turbo is a Holset H1E w/22cm exhaust housing (split T4 flange) capable of 70lbs/min. I'm going to run an ebay wastegate @7psi.

Some more pics: test fitting the intercooler, test fitting the bumper cover, and the intercooler mounting bracket.
Attached Thumbnails Couple pics of custom rear mount install....-bracket1-resized.jpg   Couple pics of custom rear mount install....-dats-tight-fit-resized.jpg   Couple pics of custom rear mount install....-lil-trimmins-resized.jpg  
Old 11-27-2007, 01:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

where the hell is that intercooler from???? its massive. lol

Chris.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:01 AM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whats the motor setup?

Tony.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Do you think that intercooler is big enough???
Old 11-27-2007, 11:59 AM
Staging Lane

LOL! Yeah I think it's from a Duramax but am not sure.

A friend of mine dropped by and offered me the intercooler for $20. It's a little bent on the bottom but that will be covered by the tray (which is visiable from the front, hangs about an 1" below the bumper or so).

This a very low budget build and is taking some time. The motor and tranny are completely stock, I'm hoping if I tune it safely they'll hold up for at least a little while. I'll be adding a big tranny cooler before she fires up.

48lb injectors and Walbro 255 will be supplying the fuel.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by B4Cya
It's got pacesetter mids with the EGR crap deleted,
Swap back to the stock manifolds and wrap the entire exhaust for a nice fast spooling setup
Old 11-27-2007, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

How tall is that intercooler.. ???? Any idea on hp rating or flow rating?
Old 11-27-2007, 07:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Zombie
Swap back to the stock manifolds and wrap the entire exhaust for a nice fast spooling setup
i agree...........sell the pacesetters and put the money somewhere else!!!! i love cheap fi builds like this.....keep it up!!!!
Old 11-27-2007, 07:18 PM
TECH Resident

x1000 Sell the exhaust you have run stock cast iron manifolds. They hold in heat better which you will want for better spool=faster boost. OH ONE VERRRRRY IMPORTANT SUGGESTION THAT YOU SHOULD DO= Keep the exhaust/y-pipe that runs exhaust TO THE TURBO 2.5" that alone will save you a lotttttttt of spool time, the difference between 3" and wrapped 2.5" exhaust pipes is AMAZING, feels very similar to a front mount setup. Also like mentioned above wrap all the exhaust everywhere and anywhere you can. You will not regret it Looks alot like the custom rearmount i had on mine, except i used a master power T70. Ah i rememebr those endless days and nights of fabricating and seein if **** will fit or not lol...Gotta love that sawzall

Quick Reply: Couple pics of custom rear mount install....