Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Pre-Vortech install questions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 10:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pre-Vortech install questions.

Had a couple questions before I start my vortech install.
. Is it better to use the stock crank pulley or can you use an aftermarket pulley?
Also I noticed in this install pic that there is a number of bolts in the middle of the pulley...I thought you just had the one that goes through the middle for mounting?

. With the powercooler do you have to relocate the egr like the instructions say (i think)? Would it be better just to delete EGR?

. Does the power steering pulley have to come off as well as the reservoir to mount supercharger bracket? I know that I have to relocate the reservoir anyway.

Please excuse my noob questions, thanks for help.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:13 PM
12 Second Club

Is it really that big of a burden for someone to reply What is the point of having a forced induction section if no one wants to help someone who's asking some questions?
And before someone tells me to search......nevermind.

Last edited by sworaz; 12-05-2007 at 11:14 PM.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeez, man you only gave people like 7 waking hours to answer your question, maybe during the worst time - Friday night and Sat morning. You gotta give your post some circulation time.

You can use the stock pulley unless you plan on driving the blower with a different ratio and don't want a really small blower pulley, which can lead to slippage. That's mostly why people would go to a larger drive pulley.

Most Chevy balancer assemblies have one large bolt in the center and a triangle of 3 bolts outside it. The center one is to hold the entire assembly to the crank, and the 3 outer bolts attach the pulley to the balancer unit. All 4 bolts should be Grade 8 or better.

Jim
Old 12-01-2007, 04:50 PM
TECH Resident

Delete EGR.

I would sell the vortech kit if I were you.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cracker
Delete EGR.

I would sell the vortech kit if I were you.
Why ?
Old 12-05-2007, 11:16 PM
12 Second Club

Here's another pic. I see 3 pulleys and the first pulley doesn't look anything like my stock pulley...? Is this an aftermarket pulley? Why is there 3 of them?
Old 12-05-2007, 11:25 PM
Restricted User

i would do like the other guy said and sell it. i have a procharger and its the best supercharger kit for an f body in my opinion. all of the vortech kits i have worked on suck *****. they have oila ll in the intake stream and they leak oil all over the place. its just waaay too much relocation involved and time consumtion. plus i dont like how you have to hack the hood up to fit it. plus you have to take all that stuff off to do anything to the engine.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:46 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OAKLAND MAROBOY
i would do like the other guy said and sell it. i have a procharger and its the best supercharger kit for an f body in my opinion. all of the vortech kits i have worked on suck *****. they have oila ll in the intake stream and they leak oil all over the place. its just waaay too much relocation involved and time consumtion. plus i dont like how you have to hack the hood up to fit it. plus you have to take all that stuff off to do anything to the engine.
Give me a break like changing a belt on the procharger kit is fun!

Sworaz- Look you have to use the ATI dampner (They are rebuildable and bolt together.) that comes with the kit it is held by a single bolt in the center just like the stocker, but it has an additional pulley on the outside to drive the S/C. And while the instructions don't mention it you should use and ATI pin kit to pin the crank as they have a tendency to come off. And yes you have to take the Power steering pulley off to relocate the resivor and use a different power steering line. Just follow the instructions and give me a ring if you need some help.
Jeff
Old 12-06-2007, 12:06 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Inspector12
Give me a break like changing a belt on the procharger kit is fun!

Sworaz- Look you have to use the ATI dampner (They are rebuildable and bolt together.) that comes with the kit it is held by a single bolt in the center just like the stocker, but it has an additional pulley on the outside to drive the S/C. And while the instructions don't mention it you should use and ATI pin kit to pin the crank as they have a tendency to come off. And yes you have to take the Power steering pulley off to relocate the resivor and use a different power steering line. Just follow the instructions and give me a ring if you need some help.
Jeff

i can have the blower off and belt changed in less than 30 mins. its not that easy getting to the tensioner on the vortech with the upper radiator hose right in front of it and the fans under it so u cant push it down or the relocated ps pump lines keeping one from pulling it up. so you havet seen the oil those things let off into the intake? and how do u like doing your tune up with that thing on there? lol
Old 12-06-2007, 04:08 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

i can have the blower off and belt changed in less than 30 mins. its not that easy getting to the tensioner on the vortech with the upper radiator hose right in front of it and the fans under it so u cant push it down or the relocated ps pump lines keeping one from pulling it up. so you havet seen the oil those things let off into the intake? and how do u like doing your tune up with that thing on there? lol
Ran it for several years and had some oil with the line running from the pasenger valve cover, but as soon as it was removed no oil. and tune ups were a breeze. I just disconected a few hose clamps and moved the cooler over. The belt was easy too. Just pull the air lid which is a stock design and the radiator hose moves where ever you need it for the tentioner. Did you leave the power steering cooler support in? It too is just a turn away from letting you push the radiator hose out of the way. They are great for power levels in the 500-550 rwhp range and I and a few others made 600+ with the kit and it was trouble free. Are there better systems sure, but are they cheaper probalby not.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:22 AM
12 Second Club

wtf, I don't care about what your personal preferences on superchargers is. Your posts have nothing to do with this thread
Old 12-06-2007, 07:26 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Inspector12

Jeff
Jeff thanks for the insight. To clarify, there is only two pulleys...the ATI balancer and the aluminum colored one on top of it? There is no using of the stock crank pulley?
Old 12-06-2007, 07:31 AM
12 Second Club

Think I found my answer from Vortech. The guy I bought it from only sent the outside pulley.

4GK116-031 CRANK PULLEY ASSEMBLY 1
4GK016-011 Damper Assy, 6 Rib 1
4GK018-031 Crank Pulley 1
7C016-010 LS1 Damper Bolt, M16 x 2.0
Old 12-06-2007, 02:22 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Yeah they are expensive too. That balancer is specific to the kit and like $700. I have and ATI balancer that I am selling that may work if yon need one. We can find out if it will work if he doesn't get you the right one etc... Just read the instructions and you see what you need etc...
Jeff
Old 12-06-2007, 04:28 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah he has it on the car yet but didn't know it went with the supercharger. He's going to send it soon I guess.
Stock there is only one pulley..just the crank pulley right? I'd look at my car but it's in storage.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:41 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by sworaz
Yeah he has it on the car yet but didn't know it went with the supercharger. He's going to send it soon I guess.
Stock there is only one pulley..just the crank pulley right? I'd look at my car but it's in storage.
Yeah it is a one piece cast iron pulley with a 6rib for all the main drive accessories and a 3 rib for the A/C by its self.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sworaz
wtf, I don't care about what your personal preferences on superchargers is. Your posts have nothing to do with this thread
hey bro.i have a f1r going on my f-body.if you like vortech stick with it.this is all about what you like and no one else.vortech makes a killer kit for the f-bodies. dont let anyone get you down on your project.keep up the good work!
Old 12-06-2007, 06:19 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks Bro
Old 12-07-2007, 06:58 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by platinum1
hey bro.i have a f1r going on my f-body.if you like vortech stick with it.this is all about what you like and no one else.vortech makes a killer kit for the f-bodies. dont let anyone get you down on your project.keep up the good work!
good choice lmfao
Old 12-07-2007, 09:12 AM
12 Second Club

good choice lmfao

Quick Reply: Pre-Vortech install questions.