Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Sts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 05:50 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Sts?

Ok I'm seriously looking at forced induction on my 2000 ss. I really like the idea of the S.T.S. turbo. My car is lowered 1.5 inches. I'm wondering if I'm going to have clearance issues with the piping if I go this route. I like the fact I can keep my headers with this turbo, and the tunability with turbos. Anybody with some pics or experience with these systems would be great. Thanks
Old 12-07-2007, 06:00 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im doing my install as we speak.. Some of these questions would help me out!

Last edited by RearMountKing; 12-08-2007 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Sts (not)!!!

Hey guys,I was where you guys are a few years back!First if your gonna spend the money on a FI setup,SPEND IT RIGHT the first time!!!Havent you ever wondered why theres always STS kits on here for sell really cheap?and yea there pretty cheap for a FI kit,But it always turns into M O R E !!!money when FI ing TRANNY,REAREND SUSP,FORGED INTERNALS I can go on and on.You gotta have the bucks to go FI. Now with STS,The main reasons I stayed away, was with the piping itself,you cant really lower your ride that much and all this info I got from a buddy of mine who owned a performance shop and was a cert. STS dealer and installer.Secondly, you lose the option for subframe connectors,especially on the one side! they just wont fit because of the return piping,Third, the bullshit electric pump which returns the oil from the turbos has a 100% failure rating.Forth, dont get stuck on a highway, in a down pour because of where the airfilter is positioned,on top of the rear tire, once is wet thats it,and camaro mag. actually did a artical on this, when they were talking about one of there STS installs,.And finally if looking to go FI, your obviaslly looking for more power and without sub frames, your gonna reap havic on your F body, if thats the car you guys own!SAVE your money guys, and go with a procharger setup or a APS twin turbo and you guys will never regreat it! like most of the STS guys do !LOL!!! NOW,If your only looking to run 6 to 8 ps1 450 - 475 HP on your stock block then this STS will be fine,But even then look for your stock tranny to go there shortly after. If you guys are not in a hurry theres always somone selling a used FI kit like ATI or INCON on here pretty cheap,but be carefull with the incons, because their out of bussiness and most of the ones ive seen ,the hoses are all taped up and are in pretty pore shape. Stay away from those.because you can no longer buy them!I bought my incon from somone on here for 3K and sure enough the hoses were like **** but i knew that going in and had a (new) spare set my buddy had,So GOOD LuKE GUYS and if funds are low, me personally, Ide go another route,because it is VERY VERY expensive once you start LOL!!
Old 12-07-2007, 07:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since we have had one unbiased opinion, I will present another.
STS kits now have a shielded air cleaner which they claim resolves the water issue. BTW, it is to the rear and inside of the rear tire, not on top of the rear tire.
My oil pump has never failed (it's only 4 years old), so I guess it is in the 110% area.
My car is not lowered, so I can't comment on that. If you believe Sam Strano, subframe connectors are not needed. But you can still run the right one, and I have heard (but never seen) of someone modifying a diamond SFC to fit around the pipe on the driver's side. My kit allows both SFCs by running up the center, so it is not an issue for me.
AFA power, it is well known that the transmission and rear end will fail with the added power. No matter how you add it. Of course, I know someone who blew out their rear end with stock power, so it's a crap shoot there.
If you do not mind the whine (I hate it) and are willing to deal with the belt, a supercharger is also an option.
I like the fact that I can still work on the engine, and all my parts (alternator, etc.) are in their stock location.
Would I sell my STS? No way, no how. Would others? Sure. See how many people sell cams, heads, headers, etc. Just the way it goes with adding power, not everyone will be happy.
But I refuse to stoop to slamming other solutions, not much point in that.
Best of luck.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:51 PM
TECH Addict

Cool Whoa!!!!

Originally Posted by barnat
Hey guys,I was where you guys are a few years back!First if your gonna spend the money on a FI setup,SPEND IT RIGHT the first time!!!Havent you ever wondered why theres always STS kits on here for sell really cheap?and yea there pretty cheap for a FI kit,But it always turns into M O R E !!!money when FI ing TRANNY,REAREND SUSP,FORGED INTERNALS I can go on and on.You gotta have the bucks to go FI. Now with STS,The main reasons I stayed away, was with the piping itself,you cant really lower your ride that much and all this info I got from a buddy of mine who owned a performance shop and was a cert. STS dealer and installer.Secondly, you lose the option for subframe connectors,especially on the one side! they just wont fit because of the return piping,Third, the bullshit electric pump which returns the oil from the turbos has a 100% failure rating.Forth, dont get stuck on a highway, in a down pour because of where the airfilter is positioned,on top of the rear tire, once is wet thats it,and camaro mag. actually did a artical on this, when they were talking about one of there STS installs,.And finally if looking to go FI, your obviaslly looking for more power and without sub frames, your gonna reap havic on your F body, if thats the car you guys own!SAVE your money guys, and go with a procharger setup or a APS twin turbo and you guys will never regreat it! like most of the STS guys do !LOL!!! NOW,If your only looking to run 6 to 8 ps1 450 - 475 HP on your stock block then this STS will be fine,But even then look for your stock tranny to go there shortly after. If you guys are not in a hurry theres always somone selling a used FI kit like ATI or INCON on here pretty cheap,but be carefull with the incons, because their out of bussiness and most of the ones ive seen ,the hoses are all taped up and are in pretty pore shape. Stay away from those.because you can no longer buy them!I bought my incon from somone on here for 3K and sure enough the hoses were like **** but i knew that going in and had a (new) spare set my buddy had,So GOOD LuKE GUYS and if funds are low, me personally, Ide go another route,because it is VERY VERY expensive once you start LOL!!
Let me help you out.

!. 100% fail rate on the oil pump =false mine got weak after three years of boostin on my daily drivin 4xx lsx gt76 build. **** dont last for ever.

2. My car is slamed big time. I have macs mids and a three inch Y the only thing in my car that rubs is my umi drive shaft loop.

3.Sts is good for stock blocks and 400+ not really my car did 620 on 7 psi with a built 6.0 lsx

4, And there are sts cars with subframs I dont have none on mine yet.

Your opinion is fine but your facts are misplaced. As for STS kits, the kits are fine just replace the intake pipe from the turbo and your good TRT has a good deal on their kits. Their is allways room for improvments on anything. APS, STS, Procharger etc.. In my book I like procharger alot But in my case for easy on access to my motor I went to sts.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by stingr
Ok I'm seriously looking at forced induction on my 2000 ss. I really like the idea of the S.T.S. turbo. My car is lowered 1.5 inches. I'm wondering if I'm going to have clearance issues with the piping if I go this route. I like the fact I can keep my headers with this turbo, and the tunability with turbos. Anybody with some pics or experience with these systems would be great. Thanks
Your idea of keeping the headers with sts is a no-go. They will ruin your spool time to the point of wishing you hadn't bothered with FI. If you go sts, sell the headers and re-use the stock manifolds to recoup part of your cost. This is not opinion, but rather tested and proven fact. If you catch a day when the search is working right, you will find several threads on this issue.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:38 PM
12 Second Club

Uh oh
Old 12-07-2007, 09:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
Let me help you out.

!. 100% fail rate on the oil pump =false mine got weak after three years of boostin on my daily drivin 4xx lsx gt76 build. **** dont last for ever.

2. My car is slamed big time. I have macs mids and a three inch Y the only thing in my car that rubs is my umi drive shaft loop.

3.Sts is good for stock blocks and 400+ not really my car did 620 on 7 psi with a built 6.0 lsx

4, And there are sts cars with subframs I dont have none on mine yet.

Your opinion is fine but your facts are misplaced. As for STS kits, the kits are fine just replace the intake pipe from the turbo and your good TRT has a good deal on their kits. Their is allways room for improvments on anything. APS, STS, Procharger etc.. In my book I like procharger alot But in my case for easy on access to my motor I went to sts.

1. Ditto

2. Ditto

3. Ditto

4. Ditto

5.. i lived in Florida for the last 6 years .. 2 years with the STS kit on the car.. I drove in every kind of rain, sideways rain, big ole drops o rain, stinging rain, and sometimes rain that seemed to fall up..car never ever had water issues in the intake.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:56 PM
On The Tree

Mine spools very fast with headers.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:24 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Scott(382-$T$)
Mine spools very fast with headers.

and as for the lowered issue, my car is slammed pretty good and i dont have any issues, granted that i dont drive the car like a lifted truck. check my cardomain pics and see for yourself....
Old 12-08-2007, 12:30 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RooRnZ28

and as for the lowered issue, my car is slammed pretty good and i dont have any issues, granted that i dont drive the car like a lifted truck. check my cardomain pics and see for yourself....
Hey thanks! I looked at your pics there on car domain. Thats what I wanted to see. Those pipes are a bit low for my liking and I know I will hit them on. Thanks!
Old 12-08-2007, 09:02 AM
TECH Regular

Rear mounts arent all bad,there are some very good setups on this board and some very fast cars.I think sometimes folks are a little too quick to run them down.They have their engineering problems but so do all types of setups.Some of the guys have found very innovative solutions to make them work great,including the ground clearence issues.I had a basic setup on a pretty much stock 02 ss,it made 470 rwhp,very much fun to drive and I had no problems with it.Rear mounts have their good points,one of the best is ease of installation.Good setup to learn on.DO LOTS OF READING and research before you go with any type setup.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:24 AM
TECH Resident

I had my first issue this past weekend after driving the car in the rain and somewhat ragging on it a bit...even with the shield on. The next weekend when I drove the car, as soon as I hit boost, the car just fell flat on its face

After driving it for 43.8 miles though, all the H2O in the intake cleared out and the car boosted like a ****.

Other than that...and the fact that when it gets REALLY cold, the oil pump sounds like it's dying while you're starting the car...I like my kit a lot!
Old 12-08-2007, 09:41 AM
Teching In

I have the Eibach Pro-Kit on my car. I never have any clearance issues with the turbo, but the mass air pipe kinda hangs low in front. I have scraped it a few times but never the turbo.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:11 PM
11 Second Club

What's an STS? I have never heard of such a thing here.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by geeteego
What's an STS? I have never heard of such a thing here.
I hope you're being sarcastic so i don't look stupid, lol. It's a remote mounted turbo(Turbo works as a muffler) and you get all the lag in the world. If you're gonna buy the STS, save the extra $$$$ and buy the APS kit. By the time you're all set and done you're about there. Read up other threads about the STS, i thought about it but the pump sending oil all the way to the back of the car scares me. But good luck with your set up.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:00 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LebaneseShowoff
I hope you're being sarcastic so i don't look stupid, lol. It's a remote mounted turbo(Turbo works as a muffler) and you get all the lag in the world. If you're gonna buy the STS, save the extra $$$$ and buy the APS kit. By the time you're all set and done you're about there. Read up other threads about the STS, i thought about it but the pump sending oil all the way to the back of the car scares me. But good luck with your set up.
LOLzers...look at my Fquick page.

For that matter, look at my avatar.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

all these expert on turbos afraid of an oil return system that the STS kit uses, how do you expect the APS system to return oil??? the turbos sit as low as the bottom of the pan, they have to have some kind of return pump...

i have several friends with twin front mount kits on mustangs and they have to run a return pump plumbed to each turbo.... so dont make it look like STS is the only one with a return pump... yes its is mounted in back but if you have a pump failure you will see oil in tailpipe and charge pipe, you change the pump clean out the pipes and your good

knock on wood after almost 3 years original pump is good and this is my daily driver... eventually i know it will break , but so will everything on the car , especially if you mod it..
Old 12-08-2007, 05:59 PM
Launching!

my sts kit has been lots of fun.. i have subframe connectors on both sides... the slp kind that connect to the trans crossmember as well.. yea thats stupid to call out the oil pump.. because most turbo set ups have one. i dont even have a shield and the rains never hurt me.. i do have a kn filter though.. and yes i love having a STOCK engine bay, i can work on anything, and still have ac.. plus my turbo sounds awesome so close to the tailpipe
Old 12-08-2007, 06:11 PM
Banned

I actually recieved and installed my STS kit last night, and finsihed it up about 8 hours ago...

Fairly easy to install.. Running 6.5 psi..

And these guys bashing on sts, are just misinformed.....

1) Im hitting full 6.5psi @ ~ 2900-3000

2) The Filter is covered by a waterproof sock, and a metal deflector shield with a hole tapped in the bottom, so that any water that makes it way into there is drained out immediatly..

3) Oil pump is the same oil pump (with an STS sticker) as many other companies use..

4) Got it on the dyno about an hour ago, on a weak, rich tune, made 447rwhp, and 431rwtq on 6.5 psi..

5) Got the intercooler kit from Texas Rear Turbo's ,when I ordered the kit (FROM A NON SPONSOR) , .. Lost about 1.5 psi through the intercooler, as expected... Changed the boost Reference point, added a 9.5 psi WG spring.. Walla! about 8psi at the motor.. Made RIGHT under 500hp and 500tq...

6) Intercooler kit is relatively cheap and took about 2 hours to install (most of the time was spent with the nose being taken on and off)

7) I WOULD go with a built transmission.. I have a RPM tranny sitting in the shop waiting on my buddy to get here so i can start on that..

8) The only really low spot was right infront of the rear tire.... Took the piping off, put about another 30* bend in the pipe.. Fixed the problem..

9) Also I replaced the STS Silicone TB elbow, with a Metal one.( I had heard they were blowing out)

Conclusions:

Kit is awesome.. Price is even better.. Power is VERY good..

Trannys, rears, and all of that stuff is a problem with ANY type of FI..

Quick Reply: Sts?