Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

sts electrical questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 02:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default sts electrical questions

i bought a used kit.......i doesnt have any of the wiring that is supposed to come with the kit.....what do i need to do about wiring and how important is it.....i do know there is wiring for the oil pump.....also for the new fuel pump....but what else comes with the kit and can i hook up a turbo with out it......i contacted sts and they do not promote people trying to "piece" their own turbo kit together.....so doing a search isnt good enough....i need info from someone that knows their sh*t about installing a sts kit
Old 12-10-2007, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so they wont sell you a harness?
Old 12-11-2007, 06:04 AM
TECH Resident

no i talked to a guy named dave and he said that if you dont buy the kit complete then they will not sell me individual pieces to get the kit together on my own
Old 12-11-2007, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

There is wiring to the pump, that is fed off the fuel pump feed. (uses a relay so the fuel pump feed is not also feeding the oil return pump). If the fuel pump is on, the oil return pump is on. That's through a resistor for slow (quiet) operation when not boosting. When a hobbs switch in a vacuum line detects boost, it bypasses the resistor and runs the return pump at full voltage.

There's also a warning buzzer if oil pressure is building up between the turbo and the return pump. That's another hobbs switch.

And an optional switch to flip a boost controller from low boost to high boost.

Some people just run the oil pump at full voltage all the time. That would be the most basic setup you could get away with.

I'm running a stock-type fuel pump. (with a KB boost-a-pump I had wired in, back when the car was a sprayed v6, so that's all independent of the STS wiring on mine)
Old 12-11-2007, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

Back about a year or so ago. I was about to buy a new complete harness from them. Because I also bought a used kit and it ended up being for a LT1 car. So I had to just make crap work. I don't know why they have changed this around now. When you call get a different area rep on the phone and see if they will sell you the harness. If not Im sorry to hear that. I haven't really had any good dealing's with anyone of the Reps. Good Luck!

Also I ended up wiring my oil pump up with just a switch in the inside of the car. The pump would NEVER turn on high! So now it stay's on high no matter what r.p.m./boost level im at. The only other thing you would have to try to make work is the P.C.V. system. Other than that you can make it yourself.

Jimmy
Old 12-11-2007, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

you need the Hobbs switch for the front too.
Call them and hit ext. 809 and ask Freddie.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ls1leadfoot
no i talked to a guy named dave and he said that if you dont buy the kit complete then they will not sell me individual pieces to get the kit together on my own

tell them you destroyed the harness while taking eng in and out...

say you bought the kit from a sponsor on here , what they dont know wont hurt them
Old 12-13-2007, 09:17 AM
TECH Resident

haha that sounds like the idea i had earlier.....i was going to tell them i had an electrical fire and need the harness.......well for now i have other worries on the car but i need to get the ball rolling because after christmas all money i earn in going straight into the car......thanks guys

Quick Reply: sts electrical questions