Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

engine mods to handle forced induction?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 11:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default engine mods to handle forced induction?

Ok guys i dont know a whole lot about forced induction, im no where near buying any turbos but i would like to twin turbo my 5.3l. Right now im tearing the motor down and starting on the rebuild. I just want to know what i need to do to the internal engine to make it handle the added pressure as far as pistons/rings/rods. I am planning on keeping the iron crank.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

forged pistons and rods with clevite engine and rod bearings, arp rod bolts, arp main bolts, arp head bolts (you can also use studs for added bite but...$$) Also throw some decent heads and cam on there, even if its stock LS6 stuff. You should be good with that. Stock crank will handle anything you throw at it basically so it should stay to save some money on your build. Little stuff would be good to like upgrading timing chain, oil pump pushrods, Good luck either way all this crap adds up quick especially the boosted cars
Old 12-12-2007, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

You need to talk with Bob at Exotic Performance Plus.com. He is the expert in this area.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:12 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BLNLS1/RX7
You need to talk with Bob at Exotic Performance Plus.com. He is the expert in this area.
Thanks, take a look at what we used in this build. Stock crank making 740 rwhp and is being used on a 2.5 mile road course. Bob
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=40
Old 12-13-2007, 07:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by fenix999
forged pistons and rods with clevite engine and rod bearings, arp rod bolts, arp main bolts, arp head bolts (you can also use studs for added bite but...$$) Also throw some decent heads and cam on there, even if its stock LS6 stuff. You should be good with that. Stock crank will handle anything you throw at it basically so it should stay to save some money on your build. Little stuff would be good to like upgrading timing chain, oil pump pushrods, Good luck either way all this crap adds up quick especially the boosted cars
Is all this necessary? well the question is how much boost do you plan to run. I have tuned BONE STOCK C-5's that make 500 RWHP and all my customers are still driving around for a few years now. Ask Bob and he will tell you the same..
Old 12-13-2007, 07:45 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
Is all this necessary? well the question is how much boost do you plan to run. I have tuned BONE STOCK C-5's that make 500 RWHP and all my customers are still driving around for a few years now. Ask Bob and he will tell you the same..
True, true. Check this GTO out.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=46 Bob
Old 12-14-2007, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fenix999
I agree, this is good advice for building a properly built forged boost motor which I just had built for me from ERIK KOENIG of HKE RACING which is being shipped as we speak (and this is pretty much EXACTLY what I did)!
Old 12-14-2007, 08:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

i agree forged pistons are good insurance, but i wonder if the stock rods are ok with arp bolts-there are some cheap rods out there, i figured maybe the stock rods would be better than cheap aftermarket-how many people have actually experienced rod failure?
Old 12-15-2007, 07:24 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by forcd ind
i agree forged pistons are good insurance, but i wonder if the stock rods are ok with arp bolts-there are some cheap rods out there, i figured maybe the stock rods would be better than cheap aftermarket-how many people have actually experienced rod failure?
We've never wanted to find out....lol For six hundred dollars, I feel the Callies Compstar rods are worth the added reliability they give to the engine.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=683

The engine in this Corvette is using the factory crank, Compstar rods and Diamond pistons, is producing 740 rwhp and is driven on a 2.5 mile road course for two hour practice sessions twice a week during the season. The engine has been together for two years without any problems.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=40 Bob
Old 12-20-2007, 12:16 AM
On The Tree

well i figured since the stock rods are powder metal, they are awesome compared to the old small block stuff. i mean people drop some serious $$$ for these types of rods
Old 12-20-2007, 12:16 AM
On The Tree

but thanx for all the info.

Quick Reply: engine mods to handle forced induction?