Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Something fishy w/ this deal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 11:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something fishy w/ this deal?

Wasn't sure where to post this, so mods if put it in the wrong place, please move it for me

I might be putting the egg before the chicken or however that saying goes haha. I found a supercharger for a c5 for sale. The seller is throwing in the cowl hood as part of the deal. Here is what he wrote for the description. Keep in mind he only wants $2500 for the whole deal:

"Corvette Super Charger Kit for a C5 LS1 350 with hood. This was purchased directly from "Lingenfelter Performance Engineering" as a low mileage - Take off Magnison Super Charger in 10/2005 and unused since.
This is a complete kit that includes; a hood designed for this system (RK Sport Hood), detailed installation Instructions, all necessary hardware, and a Lingenfelter Programmed PCM (computer) for my cars application (1999 6 speed) and can be reprogrammed thru Lingenfelter to fit your cars application for a small fee.
This is a non-inner cooled system that adds 100+ horsepower and a 100+ foot pounds of torque. "

I plan on having a vette soon so this would just sit around for the next 6 months or so, but it seems like way too good of a deal to pass up. Is it indeed that, way too good to be true? Thanks in advance guys!

-Bryan
Old 12-13-2007, 11:41 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a decent deal IMO. The hood alond is about 1K I believe??
Old 12-13-2007, 11:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The saying goes...

Counting the chickens before the eggs hatch.

And yes sounds like a good deal to me also.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you can either pick it up or get real pictures of it then I'd be okay with it... I'd have him write something that you make up on a piece of paper and take a pic of it.. Just to make sure that he isn't posting someone else's pictures...
Old 12-14-2007, 01:10 AM
TECH Junkie

I might be putting the egg before the chicken

SORRY BUT I COULD NOT RESIST.....
if you have the cash and it is actually a truthful post go for it!
just be cautious
Old 12-14-2007, 07:40 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Sounds way too good to be true. As stated the hood costs about $800ish. That puts the kit around $1700. I can not see the seller selling a $5000 kit for $1700 unless there is something seriously wrong with it. I would stay clear of this one.

Every deal that I have heard about parts priced way too good always turn out bad. Either missing items, broken parts, etc.

Keith
Old 12-14-2007, 09:29 AM
FormerVendor

While I'm not familiar with that specific kit, I do know that when I was at LPE, we would get a customer every few months that wanted to take off his Maggie and go with a twin turbo. I bought several myself for 2500.00 so I don't think the deal is too good to be true.

Call the seller and get his name, if he's not the person who had it removed at LPE, get that person's name and call LPE to check it out. You have to remember, the typical LPE customer has a little more disposeable cash than the rest of us, so the convenience is worth it to them.

If you don't end up buying it5, forward me the information! that's a good deal

Ed
Old 12-14-2007, 09:38 AM
On The Tree

If u really wanted this charger ,& he plans on selling it @ that price ,see where he lives & try to contact some people in the area he is living in ,this way u will know if its ligit,in the c5 forum there is a place there where u can contact people who own vettes who live in & around your surrounding area ,i would pm someone who lives close to him & ask if they would check into it,or u could take the extra money u saved by buying it used & Pay for a plane ticket to his front door with money in hand ,this way u will know for sure ,u can get a fairly reasonable priced airfare ticket any where in the continent of the us fairly cheap as long as u give them a little notice ahead of time,or make a road trip & check it out ,just some options/ideas throwing around u may or may not wanna use,i have been burned before on the net even after talking to the guy who was a nice guy over the phone the cam he sold me was junk & would make a good anchor ,i am very hesitate to send alot of money over the net for used items to a private party for this reason,i try my best to only buy new items on the net if i can ,& only from vendors , i work to hard for my money for someone else to misrepresent something & then they get my hard earned cash ,it makes the honest people suffer
Old 12-15-2007, 05:39 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

I did think it was too good to be true. But when a sponsor says its ok, then thats all there is to it.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:29 AM
Banned

Just pointing it out, it is probably nothing, but ya never know. The entire paragraph had near perfect spelling and grammar, the only word misspelled? Magnuson.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:47 PM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
I did think it was too good to be true. But when a sponsor says its ok, then thats all there is to it.
Then again the sponsor took it off and knows the exact condition. There are sellers out there that will sell a turd wrapped in gold foil as a solid nugget of gold.

Keith
Old 12-15-2007, 02:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep in mind that it did state "This is a non-inner cooled system". These are somewhat cheaper than the innercooled ones. Even so that is a good deal with the hood included.

Good luck with that.
-Dave
Old 12-15-2007, 11:55 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Originally Posted by ls1290
Then again the sponsor took it off and knows the exact condition. There are sellers out there that will sell a turd wrapped in gold foil as a solid nugget of gold.

Keith
That was exactly my point. I think you read into my post. I'll rephrase it for you. I thought it was too good to be true. But when a sponsor that has experience with these types of superchargers says its a good deal then in my book I respect that knowledge.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:15 AM
TS6
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ed @ Late Model Speed
While I'm not familiar with that specific kit, I do know that when I was at LPE, we would get a customer every few months that wanted to take off his Maggie and go with a twin turbo. I bought several myself for 2500.00 so I don't think the deal is too good to be true.

Call the seller and get his name, if he's not the person who had it removed at LPE, get that person's name and call LPE to check it out. You have to remember, the typical LPE customer has a little more disposeable cash than the rest of us, so the convenience is worth it to them.
Ed

If you worked at LPE then you know that if someone actually tried to contact them for information like this they would give you a big old "**** you" and send you on your way. I'm speaking from experience.

Quick Reply: Something fishy w/ this deal?