Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Running in under load procedure?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 04:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running in under load procedure?

My 383 tune has been tweeked to suit bigger injectors (was 42Lb, now 60Lb on 427, so we can start the engine & check for oil pressure etc.

After that, the consensus seems to be to run the engine in on a dyno under load to prevent the bores from glazing.

The plan seems a bit vague. Is this secret engine builder/tuners business, or is there a common-knowledge best procedure for bedding boosted rings under load on a dyno?

This build will be a daily driver so I'm chasing longevity.
Intercooled 3.3L twinscrew initially ~14Lbs
The Warhawk/Allpro combo with 6 studs should be good for 30Lbs
T56 & 3.73's. Yeeeha!
Old 12-29-2007, 05:49 PM
Teching In

Must be a secret huh?
Old 12-29-2007, 05:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've heard that should be done on all new engine break ins.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:51 PM
Staging Lane

if the top rings are chromoly they should be seated under pressure (boost). operating temperature is key as well as some heat cycling for fastners, gaskets, etc.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:13 PM
Launching!

I was always told rings seat under vacum.

I later comfirmed this when I had a old sbc that had been freshend up, I drove this motor for months with nasty blow by, It was the first time I had an engine where the rings didnt seat. So an old timer told me to get the motor up to temp cruise about 60mph and down shift two gears ( like useing the engine as a brake)untill the truck had slowed to the point where it at idle . I did this three times and no bull the blow by stoped. So the next time I did a motor I would rev it up real slow to high rpm then just let the throttle blades shut quick, basically putting large vacum against the rings.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

interesting concept
Old 12-29-2007, 11:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BigJls1
I was always told rings seat under vacum.

I later comfirmed this when I had a old sbc that had been freshend up, I drove this motor for months with nasty blow by, It was the first time I had an engine where the rings didnt seat. So an old timer told me to get the motor up to temp cruise about 60mph and down shift two gears ( like useing the engine as a brake)untill the truck had slowed to the point where it at idle . I did this three times and no bull the blow by stoped. So the next time I did a motor I would rev it up real slow to high rpm then just let the throttle blades shut quick, basically putting large vacum against the rings.
vacumn does not affect the rings push against the wall, it is all about BMEP. high cyl pressure force ring to outside of wall, making good wear. high BMEP for a long period of time will cause glazing of the wall.

pressure, short bursts, vary load - no overdrive low RPM wot pulls, and stay at operating temp
Old 12-30-2007, 08:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by cast iron
vacumn does not affect the rings push against the wall, it is all about BMEP. high cyl pressure force ring to outside of wall, making good wear. high BMEP for a long period of time will cause glazing of the wall.

pressure, short bursts, vary load - no overdrive low RPM wot pulls, and stay at operating temp
I gotta ask what is "it is all about BMEP."

I was also toying with the idea that under hard vacum with the throttle blades closed if the cylinder wall gets a little hotter than normal because there is way less fuel to cool the charge and if that in turn heated the rings to a point where they finaly set.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:47 AM
Launching!

you know I just read where the big shots that run a belt driven vacum pump on the engine.....why....to increase ring seal hmmmm.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:09 PM
Staging Lane

you know I just read where the big shots that run a belt driven vacum pump on the engine.....why....to increase ring seal hmmmm.
that has to do with blow by, not seating rings on a new build. the big shots run very big camshafts that do not create large vacumn that a production car would - thus the pump or using an exhaust pull

please follow this link, it covers the information i convey:
http://www.ntnoa.org/enginebreakin.htm
Old 12-30-2007, 09:13 PM
Staging Lane

I gotta ask what is "it is all about BMEP."

I was also toying with the idea that under hard vacum with the throttle blades closed if the cylinder wall gets a little hotter than normal because there is way less fuel to cool the charge and if that in turn heated the rings to a point where they finaly set.
depends on decel enrichment and timing of the efi controller. there is very little cyl pressure (BMEP) so rings will not be pushed towards cyl walls

wall temp is subject of maginitude of wall wetting (decel enrich), AFR, and timing

all are usually kept at safe/minimal levels for longevity
Old 12-31-2007, 03:02 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by cast iron
that has to do with blow by, not seating rings on a new build. the big shots run very big camshafts that do not create large vacumn that a production car would - thus the pump or using an exhaust pull

please follow this link, it covers the information i convey:
http://www.ntnoa.org/enginebreakin.htm
good info

Quick Reply: Running in under load procedure?