Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Porting an LS2 intake for Procharged motor

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Porting an LS2 intake for Procharged motor

Im getting ready to start my Procharged 408 motor build....Before anybody says junk the LS2 and use a FAST, IM NOT BUYING A FAST...MY build is on somewhat of a budget and I would rather sacrifice a few hp than spend that kind of money on another intake. I came across a new, never installed LS2 intake very cheap a while back. I want to try porting this intake myself. Does anyone have any suggestions for my first port job??? Also if I decide to not try it myself, who on this site offers a porting service, and what is the going rate??

Another question i have is what kind of o-rings do i need to run on my injectors? I still need to buy injectors and was wondering if I could just order ones that fit right..

Any info is appreciated....
Old 12-20-2007, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best thing to do is contact Bob at Exotic Performance Plus.com.They build more Pro Charger motors than anyone in the world.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:11 PM
TECH Addict

Injectors come with the right O-rings.

For porting, I'd look around for details and do it myself. You'll end up with some new tools, new knowledge and the satisfaction of knowing exactly what was done to your baby.

Jim
Old 12-21-2007, 05:43 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Tony Mamo at AFR has more intake porting knowledge than anyone else that I know of, you might try giving Tony a call.
You can use the standard fuel injectors, and then use adaptors for them, but recently larger fuel injectors that swap right in for the LS2 have come out.
We sell these Bosch injectors http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...html?item=1118 and I believe Accel or someone recently came out with some higher flow ones. Bob
Old 12-21-2007, 06:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

do you ususally use a dremel or what other kind of tool
Old 12-21-2007, 07:17 PM
TECH Addict

For porting I use a Sears Flex-Shaft grinder, sort of a larger, heavy duty Dremel. And I actually use Dremel collets and abrasive wheels in the Sears tool - you can buy them in bulks of 25 rolls, large or small, in 3 different grits at Home Depot or OSH.

I also use an electric die grinder for heavier/fast work. That uses either commercial tools or Dremel heads with a simple collet change.

That and a nice face shield, a couple clamp-on work lights that you can move around (backlighting your work is a useful porting trick - point the light up the port from the rear), and WD-40 on metal. A little might be useful on plastic too.

Jim
Old 12-21-2007, 09:36 PM
Banned

porting would seem to be unneccessary with a procharger. the very little it would gain if any under boost could be made with ...more boost. my guess is the best port job in the world on an ls2 @10psi would be out flowed by a stock ls1 @12 psi. i would spend the money else where. belt slip is an issue with prochargers.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cjg454ss
porting would seem to be unneccessary with a procharger. the very little it would gain if any under boost could be made with ...more boost. my guess is the best port job in the world on an ls2 @10psi would be out flowed by a stock ls1 @12 psi. i would spend the money else where. belt slip is an issue with prochargers.
if that was completely true, everybody would run stock heads/intake/ and tb on all forced induction motors. If i port the intake myself, it won't cost any extra. Belt slip won't we an issue with the 8 rib setup and somebody that really knows what they are doing setting everything up.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by cbra-klla
if that was completely true, everybody would run stock heads/intake/ and tb on all forced induction motors. If i port the intake myself, it won't cost any extra. Belt slip won't we an issue with the 8 rib setup and somebody that really knows what they are doing setting everything up.

ls2 is supposed to be better than ls6 so you should have me beat leaving it alone.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
ls2 is supposed to be better than ls6 so you should have me beat leaving it alone.
if thats the case, lets swap intakes........lol
Old 12-22-2007, 05:29 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here we go again LOL... Don't touch the intake manifold. Leave it be. Do a search for LS6 vs FAST and read the billion page thread about it. I doubt you'd see any HP gains on a dyno between the FAST and unported LS2. Don't gimme that "if that was completely true, everybody would run stock heads/intake/ and tb on all forced induction motors" either. Heads are completely different because they have better flowing EXHAUST ports- which is the key to FI motors. Since the air is being forced in regardless of how (un)restrictive your intake manifold is, getting the exhaust out of the cylinders becomes the more important issue.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
Here we go again LOL... Don't touch the intake manifold. Leave it be. Do a search for LS6 vs FAST and read the billion page thread about it. I doubt you'd see any HP gains on a dyno between the FAST and unported LS2. Don't gimme that "if that was completely true, everybody would run stock heads/intake/ and tb on all forced induction motors" either. Heads are completely different because they have better flowing EXHAUST ports- which is the key to FI motors. Since the air is being forced in regardless of how (un)restrictive your intake manifold is, getting the exhaust out of the cylinders becomes the more important issue.
i do understand all that, and that heads and intake properties work completely different on a FI motor. So you are saying don't even bother porting the intake? WHat about just swapping to a stock intake and tb? I was just wondering what kind of difference it would make compared to the LS2 intake and 90mm tb?. I have read many threads on here but i can't spend countless hours reasearching every thread. I'm new to FI and don't know everything, just wanting to learn as much as i can.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:48 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you already have the LS2 intake and TB great- use that. But don't port them. IF you got any gain at all out of porting, it would be minimal at best. Probably not even anymore gain than what a 2° ambient temperature gain would net you.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:18 PM
TECH Resident

Port it,Take it appart and port the inside as well not just the runners

If anyone has felt the runners you know that just smoothing it out helps alot

The gains with porting in a FI is not as clear as in N/A but there is a gain

IMO Price vs Gains are not worth it to go with Fast,If you do your own porting that´s just free Hp
Old 12-22-2007, 07:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by cbra-klla
do you ususally use a dremel or what other kind of tool
Don't even think about it

Quick Reply: Porting an LS2 intake for Procharged motor