Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

400inch motor + F1C + SDCE... thoughts/ opinons?

Old 12-20-2007, 03:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400inch motor + F1C + SDCE... thoughts/ opinons?

Just curious to see what you guys think about this???
Old 12-20-2007, 04:41 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Works for me LOL!
Old 12-20-2007, 04:53 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It may work, but you will probably encounter belt slippage. My '99 Z28 is finally making it back home to me today from being on display at Sema, and we're going to work on a 12 rib set-up for it when we get a chance. I was in no hurry for my car, as we are currently as busy as we are in the Spring, which is why I haven't had the car back yet. With a 12 rib belt set-up, an F-1C should work out without any problems at all. Bob
Old 12-20-2007, 02:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is it possible to run a 12rib SDCE???

ANYONE DONE IT? TRIED IT?

J
Old 12-20-2007, 03:07 PM
Banned

hey bob i want a 12 rib kit.HURRY UP LOL!
Old 12-20-2007, 03:18 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
It may work, but you will probably encounter belt slippage. My '99 Z28 is finally making it back home to me today from being on display at Sema, and we're going to work on a 12 rib set-up for it when we get a chance. I was in no hurry for my car, as we are currently as busy as we are in the Spring, which is why I haven't had the car back yet. With a 12 rib belt set-up, an F-1C should work out without any problems at all. Bob
I agree that your 12 rib set up is probably going to be a better to fight belt slip, but I haven't had any issues with belt slip as of yet and I don't think KP has either on his F1C. But if you haven't bought anything yet I'd give Bob a call for sure.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:22 PM
kp
8 Second Club

I only use an F1A which isnt that bad to turn and the SDCE is just barely keeping up with that. I myself wouldnt put a F1C or F1R on a drag car without a cog setup and one of those fancy ATI sprag pulleys. I know the renegade guys do it with an 8 rib but they are also using crank supports/struts and really tightening the crap out of those belts.

Not sure how much more effective a 12 rib will be over a good 8 rib setup, there is dwindling return the wider you go with a serpentine belt from what I understand.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:17 PM
8 Second Club

I was going to go with a F1R but after talking to some "mod motor" folks it seems the F1C is the way to go and spinning it with a 8 rib should be no problem. The F1A has gone as fast as 9.62 on a 03 cobra, stock bottom end on 6 RIBS!!!!!!. And don't forget-they use 1 belt to spin the water pump, power steering, blower, crank etc-there belts are over 110" long!!!!!Apparantly the F1C was made as the alternative to the F1R for the guys with small motors to spin-it draws alot less power to spin-and if it can make over 1000 rwhp on a 4.6-then we should not be worried.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:54 PM
kp
8 Second Club

F1C still takes quite a bit more horsepower to drive than a F1A, the only real way to see is to try it. I dont think the 8 rib I have will handle a F1C and I'm not going to spend 3K to find out. Because if I cant use that F1C for everything its worth than its of no use to me Heck I still havent maxed out the F1A yet..
Old 12-20-2007, 09:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by eb02z06
I was going to go with a F1R but after talking to some "mod motor" folks it seems the F1C is the way to go and spinning it with a 8 rib should be no problem. The F1A has gone as fast as 9.62 on a 03 cobra, stock bottom end on 6 RIBS!!!!!!. And don't forget-they use 1 belt to spin the water pump, power steering, blower, crank etc-there belts are over 110" long!!!!!Apparantly the F1C was made as the alternative to the F1R for the guys with small motors to spin-it draws alot less power to spin-and if it can make over 1000 rwhp on a 4.6-then we should not be worried.
what belt drive do you use on your zo6 w/ F1C??? How much boost you make & what are your crank/ blower pulley sizes??? This would REALLY help out my decision on what to go with!

thanks!

Jay
Old 12-20-2007, 09:51 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by kp
F1C still takes quite a bit more horsepower to drive than a F1A, the only real way to see is to try it. I dont think the 8 rib I have will handle a F1C and I'm not going to spend 3K to find out. Because if I cant use that F1C for everything its worth than its of no use to me Heck I still havent maxed out the F1A yet..
Sorry to have got the wrong head unit in my responce earlier, but there really isn't much difference in the F1 A or the C. When I talked to ATI about changing my F1 to a C he told me it was just a discharge housing change same impeller etc... I know it could still cause more drag moving more air, but I don't think it would be a huge change, but the R he said was a totally different animal.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:11 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Blownramair
what belt drive do you use on your zo6 w/ F1C??? How much boost you make & what are your crank/ blower pulley sizes??? This would REALLY help out my decision on what to go with!

thanks!

Jay
Jay-I use a 8" crank and i have tried a 3.4, 3.55, 3.7 and 3.85. I have seen 20 psi in the summer with the 3.7 and 16 psi @4000 rpm with the 3.4. The F didn't like blowers pullies under 4"-3.85 was about the limit.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:13 PM
Banned

Thats what I have, a nice polished f1R. bahahahhaha!!!!!!!!
Old 12-20-2007, 10:47 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Inspector12
Sorry to have got the wrong head unit in my responce earlier, but there really isn't much difference in the F1 A or the C. When I talked to ATI about changing my F1 to a C he told me it was just a discharge housing change same impeller etc... I know it could still cause more drag moving more air, but I don't think it would be a huge change, but the R he said was a totally different animal.
An F1 and F1A are similar, a F1C and F1R are similar. The F1C and F1R are larger diameter volute and the inlet is a larger diameter. Look at the specs, there is a good sized jump in CFM from a F1A to F1C.

I guess it depends who you talk to at Procharger, they told me the F1C would put out quite a bit more than the F1A, if it was just a little bit bigger I would have bought one instead of the F1A.

F1 = 1525cfm
F1A = 1650cfm

F1C = 1850cfm
F1R = 2000cfm

200cfm is a good jump, so I cant see how anyone could say its not much more than an F1A. Now a F1A is only a slight jump over a regular F1, not sure I would take that upgrade path and maybe thats what the guy at procharger was talking about. Either way if you are moving 1850cfm its going to take x amount of horsepower to do it - no free rides..
Old 12-20-2007, 11:15 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by kp
An F1 and F1A are similar, a F1C and F1R are similar. The F1C and F1R are larger diameter volute and the inlet is a larger diameter. Look at the specs, there is a good sized jump in CFM from a F1A to F1C.

I guess it depends who you talk to at Procharger, they told me the F1C would put out quite a bit more than the F1A, if it was just a little bit bigger I would have bought one instead of the F1A.

F1 = 1525cfm
F1A = 1650cfm

F1C = 1850cfm
F1R = 2000cfm

200cfm is a good jump, so I cant see how anyone could say its not much more than an F1A. Now a F1A is only a slight jump over a regular F1, not sure I would take that upgrade path and maybe thats what the guy at procharger was talking about. Either way if you are moving 1850cfm its going to take x amount of horsepower to do it - no free rides..
Well yeah I know about the sizes of the inlets and all the flow stats I've looked at them. I am just telling you what I was told by a guy at ATI after a lengthy conversation about these S/C's about upgrading or changing head units etc... And just like what I said is what I was told The C and the R are only related in how close the flow numbers are. The F1 and the F1C are just different inlet/discharge housing. So I said that it couldn't be a huge difference because of the fact that it was the same step up ratio and impeller etc... Said it would cost me $300 to send it to them and have them fit the new housing on there as he said they basicly try a bunch of different housings until they find the one with the right clearances.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:40 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Either way I cant see how 325cfm over an F1 is not an upgrade or worth it, especially for 300.00, I would take that in a heartbeat. F1R has the same step up also..

Guess they must like you better than me because they never offered to upgrade my F1A to an F1C for 300.00 .
Old 12-20-2007, 11:46 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i'm runnng the F1C with the SDCE. the only way is the SDCE... thanks kp for the advice. the standard ATI bracketry and 8 rib= problems. 6 passes/3 belts. SDCE... 6 passes/same belt.
theres no way around a certain amount of slip with rib belts. but.... as of now the sdce 8 rib for the f-bodys is definetly the way to go.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:49 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by kp
Either way I cant see how 325cfm over an F1 is not an upgrade or worth it, especially for 300.00, I would take that in a heartbeat. F1R has the same step up also..

Guess they must like you better than me because they never offered to upgrade my F1A to an F1C for 300.00 .
I don't know about liking me LOL! They were giving me a hard time about the LARGE amounts of metal shavings that came out of the S/C when I drained it and wanted to send it back for inspection and they told me many times that I was waisting my time as it was fine LOL! So that was when I started asking what would it cost me to upgrade etc... Needless to say I haven't done anything I did just what they said put fresh oil in it and drove it. Works great and is now the quietest F1 I have ever herd LOL! I will probably send it back for the upgrade soon though I am like you it seemed like a deal for the increased CFM's. On another note he told me the F1a Had a different impeller but same intake/discharge housing. So upgrading an F1A would be more because of changing both impeller and housings?? Did they ever give you a price?
Old 12-21-2007, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

I will let you know prety soon(hopefully a couple of weeks) 402, SDCE 8 rib, F1C, 4" blower pulley. If this setup works out well with no belt slip, and it runs without any detonation, I will try out the 3.7".
Old 12-21-2007, 12:22 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Inspector12
I don't know about liking me LOL! They were giving me a hard time about the LARGE amounts of metal shavings that came out of the S/C when I drained it and wanted to send it back for inspection and they told me many times that I was waisting my time as it was fine LOL! So that was when I started asking what would it cost me to upgrade etc... Needless to say I haven't done anything I did just what they said put fresh oil in it and drove it. Works great and is now the quietest F1 I have ever herd LOL! I will probably send it back for the upgrade soon though I am like you it seemed like a deal for the increased CFM's. On another note he told me the F1a Had a different impeller but same intake/discharge housing. So upgrading an F1A would be more because of changing both impeller and housings?? Did they ever give you a price?
Price they gave me was sell it on ebay and buy a new F1C. A F1C would have cost 300 more when I was buying new but its not worth it to upgrade the F1A to an F1C they told me. I had a regular F1 here and the impeller and housing was different than the F1A, even where the air filter attached was machined completely different so I dont know. All I can go by is what the people at procharger tell me since I'm not going to buy a F1, F1C and F1R and take them apart to see exactly whats different

Either way if I really wanted a F1C (or R) I would buy one, I think the F1C would be best for a mid-range CID car and you would see less boost dropoff between shifts, at the expense of some peak flow. But seeing a F1R can put a car in the 7s I dont think I would possibly use an F1R to its potential. But I still dont think the SDCE will handle a F1C or F1R to be honest, but I'm sure Jimmy P will let us know.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 400inch motor + F1C + SDCE... thoughts/ opinons?