Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Which turbo is a direct swap for my ITS GT80

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 07:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which turbo is a direct swap for my ITS GT80

the turbo that has been collecting dust under the hood of my truck is a ITS GT80 with 1.15 A/R on a 8.5:1cr 408 with ET245 heads. The build has been, um, interesting. Anywho, it is suspected that the turbo may have some issues and Innovative is out of business. Two questions:

-is that turbo a good fit for my truck to be a bad *** daily driver that will make 750rwhp?

-if not, what turbo would be that would be a direct fit? can't be physically bigger due to lack of space where it is mounted

if it helps the kit uses truck manifolds and a 4" downpipe and 4" exhaust with no cats.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ST80 from Forcedinductions
Old 12-21-2007, 08:49 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking at sig. Pm me with details and we can see about buying and finishing project.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

that turbo should make what you want. i made 780rw with mine back in the day and it wasn't maxed out.

from there i went to a custom 76mm and made a little more hp, then i went to a pte-88 and made more still, though the 88 is larger by a bit.

what do you mean innovative is out of business?
Old 12-21-2007, 11:27 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
what do you mean innovative is out of business?
I think he means they are no longer operating

Last time I tried to contact them I got squat. I'm pretty sure they are done for.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:33 PM
TECH Addict

their website is down, they don't answer there phones(or so i'm told). The only site that is up is the .com/au site.

anywho, I know jack about jack when it comes to turbos. It recently on 6lbs boost recorded 30lbs backpressure. Anyone else see a problem here? Not sure what the problem is. It's being investigated
Old 12-21-2007, 12:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

no offense but maybe your turbo systems pipes are all jacked up?

poor layout will make backpressure but not boost.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
no offense but maybe your turbo systems pipes are all jacked up?

poor layout will make backpressure but not boost.
or heavily undersized turbo...
Old 12-21-2007, 02:49 PM
TECH Addict

it's all way over my head. I'm sure the guys at W2W will figure it out. I just figured I'd thow it out there to see if anyone had ideas. They are off now until Jan 2 so I'm gonna try to learn a bit in the mean time.

They did tell me it is running awesome aside from the boost/backpressure issues.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

have pics of the layout?
Old 12-21-2007, 02:54 PM
TECH Addict

i'm certain the guys at w2w will figure it out, obviously. I'm just throwing it out there to see what the concensus is. I'm voting for something must be wrong with the turbo. Either that or someone stuck a pumpkin in my tailpipe and i didn't know it, lol
Old 12-21-2007, 03:06 PM
9 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Let's put it this way... that turbo makes enough HP in the TTI Race kit to push a 3700lb car 9.9 at 140mph. That's a 402 LS2 with a mild cam, out of the box AFR 225 heads, LS2 Intake running at 15psi on 94 octane pumped by mototron 60lbs injectors. All hooking up on a Turbo 400 trans and a 9" rear with drag radials out back with stock front wheels just the way the car drives around town. There is some more left in the combo too.

With the 1.15 A/R and 4" down pipe and exhaust you aren't as far into the back pressure world as I am yet but you'll be a bit higher up the RPM range for full boost. My car can make 12psi on the transbrake at 3,600 rpms and be at 15psi by the 60' when I shift to 2nd gear.

Now if you think there is something physically wrong, you might be able to give Rick Head a call at Exile Turbo to see what he thinks. I'll apologize in advance to the sponsors and mods for posting his new business but I would think he's probably the most knowledgeable person that's reachable when it comes to legacy ITS products.

Rick
Old 12-21-2007, 03:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DanaliHD
i'm certain the guys at w2w will figure it out, obviously. I'm just throwing it out there to see what the concensus is. I'm voting for something must be wrong with the turbo. Either that or someone stuck a pumpkin in my tailpipe and i didn't know it, lol
still have catalytic converters? I remember seeing a similar problem and it was a clogged cat...
Old 12-21-2007, 04:29 PM
9 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

True drop the cat and run a cutout before the muffler when you want to run anything over 15lbs of boost. The electric cutout works great for quick and easy management of the power vs. stealth appeal.

Rick
Old 12-21-2007, 06:26 PM
TECH Addict

High exhaust pressure can be caused by any number of things.

Of course, it can be caused by the obvious stuff. . . too small a turbine wheel, too small AR, too small exhaust, restrictive muffler or cat.

The not-so-obvious stuff can also cause it, such as too small a compressor for the cid.

And the things that most don't know about can also cause high backpressure. Things such as a restrictive air filter, restrictive intercooler or piping, or even a throttle body that's not opening all the way. You see, the turbo is trying to produce a certain amount of boost. When you restrict the cold side, the wastegate will route all the exhaust through the turbine to try to reach said boost level. In doing so, the exhaust pressure will go through the roof.

Mike
Old 12-21-2007, 08:49 PM
TECH Addict

keep it coming. i would have to say the exhaust is NOT the issue. no cats. stock dmax exhaust, very free flowing. I'm liking the idea of the other end being the problem.

hmm, i do seem to recall Dez saying something about my intercooler collecting water at one point in time about a year ago. something to think about i'm sure. The TB is a NW90. I had a vacuum test done back in march or april before the kit was pulled apart and re-welded cause the first guy welds like a 3rd grader and there were a few leaks found. One was on the input shaft to the TB. it was minor but definately there. Another thing to look at after the holidays.

I emailed the guy I bought the turbo from to get more specific specs. Waiting on a response. If for some reason the turbo was damaged, would that cause the symptoms it is showing? low boost, high back pressure etc???

The reason I ask is, they found a BOLT inside the turbo the other day. Totally lodged in there but didn't appear to cause any damage. Still builds boost to a certain point, blades spin freely, no chips, cracks, etc in the blades. No difference in performance pre/post bolt, lol.

I almost bought a GT4276 with 1.28 a/r (recommended by precision) today to replace the GT80 but I decided to gather as much info in the next few weeks as possible before purchasing another turbo, just in case you all come up with a rational answer to my problems.

Thanks for the responses. Keep em coming please
Old 12-21-2007, 10:33 PM
TECH Addict

there's some pics of the setup in this thread

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...056&highlight=

i think thats the thread that talks about the water in my intercooler and exhaust. not sure
Old 12-21-2007, 11:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DanaliHD
...The reason I ask is, they found a BOLT inside the turbo the other day. Totally lodged in there but didn't appear to cause any damage. Still builds boost to a certain point, blades spin freely, no chips, cracks, etc in the blades. No difference in performance pre/post bolt, lol. ..
That's weird, I found a washer in the turbine snail of mine one time. I removed it and it picked up at least 50 hp. It is possible that the bolt damaged the blades or the compressor blades are damaged due to some other FOD. Those are very easy to check. Just pull the shrouds off both sides and have a look.

Mike
Old 12-22-2007, 08:44 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Go big or go home Dan, I suggest putting in the biggest turbo you can fit in replacement considering you have a large 408 feeding it!

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 12-22-2007, 08:45 AM
TECH Addict

i suspect the crackheads who did the powder coating/polishing of the turbo are responsible for the bolt.

Lets assume the turbo is thrashed and that is the reason for the boost/backpressure issues. Would a ST80 be a good choice? direct fit?
Can't go bigger, no room

Quick Reply: Which turbo is a direct swap for my ITS GT80