Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

How big of an intercooler / intercooler theory

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 02:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How big of an intercooler / intercooler theory

In general, is it best to go with the largest intercooler that you can fit under the hood? For example, right now I am looking at a Spearco 2-230 air to water intercooler. This particular intercooler flows up to 1500cfm. I figure I would be pushing a little less than 1100cfm before I max out the MAF gms/sec reading, so is that intercooler overkill if it will never see its max cfms?

The only drawback that I can see to running a large intercooler that will never see its full cfm flow would be unnecessary boost pressure drop. The Spearco 2-230 air/water drops 0.37psi at 1100cfm. Not too bad...right?

Next question(s); again, if I went with an air/water intercooler would it be wise to get the largest heat exchanger (i guess you could call this a radiator) to cool the water that would be flowing through the intercooler? I am thinking of going with something like a 19"x24" single row radiator to get this job done. It would be going in front of my current radiator, but do you think I should go with a smaller two core cooler to allow for better air flow to the radiator? Would a two core cool the water for the intercooler just as well as a larger single core (which in theory the larger single would have more direct air contact)???

FWIW HERE is a link with specs to that Spearco air/water intercooler. Thanks for your guys' input right now I am waiting for Spearco's intercooling theory book which I hope will answer some of these questions too.
Old 07-01-2003, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: How big of an intercooler / intercooler theory

What i would do is take a look at the lightning guys intercooler setup. A few of the tuners have made up a super cooler for those trucks
Give you better idea of how big to go with it they're pretty close to us Truck guys.
F150online is a good resrource check it out
Jim
Old 07-01-2003, 11:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how do you convert lb/min to CFM
anyone know?
Old 07-01-2003, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lbs/min / .069 = CFM

and if you only have CFM and want to find out lbs/min you'd use:

lbs/min = CFM * .069
Old 07-01-2003, 01:36 PM
TECH Addict

GMC SKI this setup will blow away a lightning intercooler. I know the Radix and Lightning intercoolers could be way better. The Radix Magnacharger setup uses an oil cooler for a heat exchanger I can see why they did this though to conserve space (and possibly allow more direct air to hit the engine coolant radiator) That was one of my questons...but I think I want to go with a large single core heat exchanger for the intercooler.

I have looked at the Vortech SC kit for F-bodies. They come with an air/water intercooler that is half the size of the Spearco 2-230. If the Spearco would only drop it another two degrees compared to something like the Vortech's intercooler size, then I may just save cash and boost pressure and run a size smaller than the Spearco 2-230??? Any ideas?

EDIT: i get what you are talking about GMC SKI. The L-guys like to run a JDM heat exchanger, which looks like a small thick two or three core radiator. I was figuring to use a large single core the size of a radiator.
Old 07-02-2003, 03:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

I run 2 of the 2-230's on my race car, now its not a street setup but I have researched a lil about setting up some heat exchangers on the car basically what I was going to do is get a few high qaulity ones and mounting them for the return lines back to the water cell. (made up a custom water and fuel cell) I would take a look at a simple heat exchanger from a lightning (will be cheap) Or possibly running two of them.

What blower are you going to run?
What psi?
I have pics of them mounted on my site if you want to look or need measurements etc.. the one thing to take into account is the water lines where to put them in and out etc..

Steven
Old 07-02-2003, 11:21 AM
Launching!

I have been contemplating augmenting the heat exchanger of my Radix, too. First I need to get some means of recording the temperature of the water on both sides of the system to see what the current state is and what improvement, if any, occurs with the additional heat exchanger area. I am thinking some kitchen thermometers with remote probes would do the trick

My plan was to get a 3 or 4 heater cores (they come is quite a variety of sizes) and hook them up in series or perhaps a Lightning intercooler (need to check the dimensions) and put it in the empty lower grill hole on my Silverado SS. Add some ducting and electric fans behind them and I could triple the cooling capacity. Off course, the best you can do it get the water down the ambient air temp. So if I am already getting close to that, then there is not much point in the improvements. That is why it is important to measure things, before and after. I have read the Lightning guys have a replacement heat exchanger available, but there is some debate as to whether it is worth it.

The next challenge will be getting the temps below ambient....
Old 07-02-2003, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

i'm running the largest BM tranny cooler as my heat exchanger
Old 07-02-2003, 02:49 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the heat exchanger replies guys.

zturbo, you seem to know a little bit about FI I am running a Whipple twin screw 2.3L super charger at 6# currently. It does not get nearly as hot as roots blowers as the rotors do not touch on a twin screw and create frictional heat. However, going up two more pounds of boost shows a great increase in heat output from a graph of the Whipple sc performance characteristics. Other guys who have bolted on the 8# pulley notice a lot of pinging on pump gas. Well, I want to run 10# of boost, so I am fabricating an air/water setup.
zturbo, if you could help me out with this question:
In general, is it best to go with the largest intercooler that you can fit under the hood? For example, right now I am looking at a Spearco 2-230 air to water intercooler. This particular intercooler flows up to 1500cfm. I figure I would be pushing a little less than 1100cfm before I max out the MAF gms/sec reading, so is that intercooler overkill if it will never see its max cfms?

The only drawback that I can see to running a large intercooler that will never see its full cfm flow would be unnecessary boost pressure drop. The Spearco 2-230 air/water drops 0.37psi at 1100cfm.
Thanks again
Old 07-04-2003, 01:22 AM
TECH Addict

I went ahead and went with the Spearco 2-230. From what I have researched, if you can fit it go with the largest you can (with minimal boost pressure drop) I did a ton of measuring today, and this thing is going to fill up a ton of space- even in a truck engine bay. I have made sure it is out of the way of any heat soak such as headers and whatnot also. This will be sweet!
Old 07-04-2003, 04:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

In general, is it best to go with the largest intercooler that you can fit under the hood?***
**There is a limit to needed area why go with the empire state building if all you need is a 2 bedroom apt..
For example, right now I am looking at a Spearco 2-230 air to water intercooler.
**My curious thing though is how are you going to mount the 2-230 under the blower? Isn't the whipple just like the lightning and has a intercooler under the blower? You will not get benefits putting the intercooler before the blower if i am reading this right
The wonderful thing about the 2-230 is you can mount it anywhere i mounted mine in front of my tires too keep the weight low in my car.
Old 07-05-2003, 03:16 AM
TECH Addict

The whipple setup is right outboard the even bank cylinders. It doesn't sit on top like the Magnacharger Radix setup (or Lightning also).

I could see how you were confused as most normal people would not think about doing this to their truck

The actual cooing surface area of the 2-230 is 405 cubic inches. It flows 1500cfm
The next size smaller that I saw was the 2-231 that is half the cooling surface area of the 2-230, and it only flows up to 700cfm. I decided to go with the 2-230 because I know my setup will be flowing more than 700cfm. I figured it would be better to not be outflowing the cooling ability of your intercooler. Thus the Empire State building
Old 07-06-2003, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

Ryan - Where are you planning on mounting the intercooler? I am just starting to gather data and parts to fabricate my own intercooler and re-mount my whipple so as to get rid of the additional crank pulley and run everything with one belt and am curious since it seems you already have fab plans.
Old 07-06-2003, 08:26 PM
Launching!

I have also been contemplating an intercooler for a whipple and have yet to figure how to incorporate it between the whipple and the intake. I am very curious as to how you will accomplish this Ryan. Also, just me 2 cents, I was recently reading on a turbo buick site about the differences between air-to-air and air-to-water. It basically said that most of the time air-to-air is better because when using a an air-to-water you cannot get as close to ambient air temp because you are actually trying to cool 2 fluids instead of one i.e. water first then air. Example Air-Water: Ambient air = 80 deg
Water temp = 90 deg
Intake temp = 100 deg
OR
Air-Air :Ambient Air = 80 deg
Intake Temp = 90 deg
Just my 2cents, take it or leave it, it made sense to me, I will see if i can find that site again, it had lots of good info.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:18 AM
TECH Addict

I knew the truck guys would come through! I just posted here to see if there were any intercooler geniuses, and I am trying to keep this on the down low - purely for shock value Honestly it will be sweet, and I am doing a little more than intercooling it too (mostly to make stuff fit though) It will be done in a month. If you guys need ideas right now though, I could scan a drawing, but I will have finished the real thing pretty soon...

Quick Reply: How big of an intercooler / intercooler theory