Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Profec B vs HKS EVC VI

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 09:31 AM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Profec B vs HKS EVC VI

Anyone have any experience with either. I know it's not going on a LS1, but a boost controller is a boost controller. I am trying to decide which one to get. I know one is cheaper, but I'm looking at features here; so price really doesn't matter.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I use the profec B spec II and have setup several others for people. Cheap and works well. The problem is most people are not smart enough to set them up correctly and then blame the controller because they didn't follow the directions. I've seen more people complain about this controller than any other one simply because the end users didn't know what they were doing.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:45 AM
8 Second Club

Sadly I need the easiest to use, which maybe the HKS. I am looking at $16k-$20k (at least) if my motor pops. I understand how they work, but I don't really have any margin for trial and error.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just installed the HKS EVC VI but havent had a chance to use it since I'm changing motor/turbo setup. I got it for the features and adjustibility.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:50 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dunno the profec b is pretty easy to use. They are super reliable and pretty cheap.

Honest opinoin though since you have so much money riding on the boost controller, maybe go with a hallman pro manual? simpilest to use, you can adjust from inside the car with attachment, and its pretty cheap.

Good luck, Chris
Old 01-03-2008, 08:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Profec B works fine for me too.....Lots of the more expensive ones just have flashy bits that nobody actually needs.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sideways240sx

Honest opinoin though since you have so much money riding on the boost controller, maybe go with a hallman pro manual? simpilest to use, you can adjust from inside the car with attachment, and its pretty cheap.

Good luck, Chris
I agree and think this is what I'll be going with too
Old 01-04-2008, 06:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mr Powell
Anyone have any experience with either. I know it's not going on a LS1, but a boost controller is a boost controller. I am trying to decide which one to get. I know one is cheaper, but I'm looking at features here; so price really doesn't matter.
Im thinking about ordering the HKS EVC VI simply because I want the ability to map boost against throttle position.. My problem isn't one for you since you have awd, but I don't want to make full boost in the middle of the turn when Im applying half throttle, especially with a traction limited car.. With the EVC VI, I can map boost against TP & RPM/Speed..

Figure out what you need from a controller and go from there..
Old 01-04-2008, 06:20 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by TheAngryTitty
Im thinking about ordering the HKS EVC VI simply because I want the ability to map boost against throttle position.. My problem isn't one for you since you have awd, but I don't want to make full boost in the middle of the turn when Im applying half throttle, especially with a traction limited car.. With the EVC VI, I can map boost against TP & RPM/Speed..

Figure out what you need from a controller and go from there..
Good call...The Apexi AVCR can do that too. although its a PITA to work with.

Never used the EVC VI though.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:49 AM
NLR
LS1TECH Sponsor

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=ams-500

Here is a link to the most accurate and flexible controllers in the world. Winning races and setting records every weekend!
Old 01-06-2008, 10:49 AM
10 Second Club

profec b is very easy to use. has that hi/lo boost at the touch of a button which is cool.

hks is kind of old school.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:04 PM
TECH Resident

I used the Greddy Profec B on both of my previous cars with very good results.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:48 AM
On The Tree

Here is the thing you need to ask yourself. Will you REALLY be using some of the features that the HKS offers? I have seen a ton of DSM guys buy the latest and greatest in EBC technology only to set boost at X psi and never change it.

If you really need some of the features then by all means buy it up, but the more features it coems with the more complicated it will be to use. On the flip side the Profec is very simple to use and hook up, but it does lack some features.

I love my original Profec B in my DSM. Setting it up was super easy and setting my boost for low and high was as easy and turning a **** and watching a boost gauge.

Quick Reply: Profec B vs HKS EVC VI