Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

How does the Boost controller work?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 02:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does the Boost controller work?

Im going to be installing an sts kit on my 98z soon and i was just wondering..... how the hell do you turn up the boost manually? A friend of mine told me that you can get a manually boost controller for cheap and then all you have to do is turn a ****. But, where the hell is the ****? Im a little confused, lol. Sorry, im pretty much a newb when it comes to turbos. Also, how would an electronic boost controller work? Im guessing its like a remote bottle opener, in the sense that you just push a button and it turns the oject for you. Let me know, thanks.

And another thing.... the kit im buying is used and the guy says it has a 5lb spring in the wastegate. So im I limited to only 5lbs of boost? How would i be able to up the boost? Change the spring in the wastegate and then just turn the boost up?

Last edited by 1fastz; 01-08-2008 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Boost controllers basically control how much boost the waste gate filters out. I am not very familiar with sts but I believe that there waste gate is at the turbo so if you wanted a manual boost controller you would have to climb under your car to set it. I could be wrong though anyone else have something to add.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:54 PM
TECH Addict

5 lb springs means you cant run less then that... you should be ok.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:41 PM
Staging Lane

without a boost controller you will only see boost up to the amount of your wastegate spring. with a boost controller you the least amount you can run is what your waste gate spring is. here is a nice manual controller
http://www.joepmbc.com/mbc.html
Old 01-08-2008, 07:56 PM
Banned

Willem @ Fuel Injection Concepts's Avatar

Originally Posted by 95FbFormula
I am not very familiar with sts but I believe that there waste gate is at the turbo so if you wanted a manual boost controller you would have to climb under your car to set it. I could be wrong though anyone else have something to add.
OR.. install the boost controller right at the vacuum source the turbo is getting from the intake manifold.

Quick Reply: How does the Boost controller work?