Go Back   LS1TECH > LS1-LS2-LS3-LS6-LS7 PERFORMANCE > Forced Induction
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register iTraderTimeslips Photos Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Used CarsVendor Directory
Search

Forced Induction
Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers
Sponsored by
RPM Motorsports

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!

Old 01-16-2008, 02:12 AM   #1
TECH Apprentice
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 2
Default ls1 with powerdyne

so i just bought an ls1 and it has a powerdyne supercharger, if i understand this correctly its alcohol injected.. my lt1 has a procharger on it which is intercooled. anyone have an input on the powerdyne, im not sure if im going to keep it on there, sell it , or if maybe find a trade. it did decent numbers.. 9psi stock engine 481 rwhp. i mean what would you guys do. keep it on ? idk if i like the thought of refilling the liquid everytime its low and not knowing when its low when im gettting on it.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:11 AM   #2
TECH Resident
2001 Pontiac Firebird
My Garage

Well you can look at it this way, powerdyne went out of business. If it works use it. Theres nothing wrong with using water/meth for cooling boost. If theres a way you can route piping to an air to air intercooler maybe you might want to consider that. Or just try and sell it all together.
1999 Firehawk-A4, D1SC 10LBS, 5XXrwhp, 5XXRWTQ, twin 4.5in ic's,lvl5 FLT 4l60e, Yank 3600, comp cam, comp 918 springs, tfs pushrods, snow meth kit, ls6 intake, 60lb injectors, racetronix fuel pump with wiring harness, Tuned by Rick at Synergy Motorsports.

2001 T/A WS6-Patriot stg2heads;TFS III cam;fast 90/90;slp lts;slp maf;slp lid;slp lm1;ory;42lbs injectors;pro 5.0;asp pulley;445rwhp & 422ft lbs. Tuned by Rick at Synergy.

WWW.quicklaptopcash.com
allthrotle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 04:51 AM   #3
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthrotle View Post
Well you can look at it this way, powerdyne went out of business.
I did not know this. When did this happen?
Old 01-16-2008, 05:01 AM   #4
EPP
FormerVendor
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 22

I would sell it before the internal belt breaks. Bob
EPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:50 PM   #5
TECH Resident
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 28

I run one and have had no problems. 9 psi is spinning the blower pretty hard. Consider a 928 motorsports rebuild using ceramic super high speed bearings and kevlar belt. If you continue at 9 psi you should also consider forged pistons and con rods.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:52 PM   #6
TECH Resident
2001 Pontiac Firebird
My Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Legend View Post
I did not know this. When did this happen?
I cant remember for sure exactly it was but, I want to say sometime in the begining of last year. I just know for sure that they went out of business.
1999 Firehawk-A4, D1SC 10LBS, 5XXrwhp, 5XXRWTQ, twin 4.5in ic's,lvl5 FLT 4l60e, Yank 3600, comp cam, comp 918 springs, tfs pushrods, snow meth kit, ls6 intake, 60lb injectors, racetronix fuel pump with wiring harness, Tuned by Rick at Synergy Motorsports.

2001 T/A WS6-Patriot stg2heads;TFS III cam;fast 90/90;slp lts;slp maf;slp lid;slp lm1;ory;42lbs injectors;pro 5.0;asp pulley;445rwhp & 422ft lbs. Tuned by Rick at Synergy.

WWW.quicklaptopcash.com
Old 01-16-2008, 01:58 PM   #7
TECH Resident
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 28

Well the Powerdyne America site is still up and running.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:21 PM   #8
TECH Resident
2001 Pontiac Firebird
My Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgeZ28 View Post
Well the Powerdyne America site is still up and running.
Well tried to contact them, I tried and all I got was some voicemail system saying to leave a message with your name and question and someone would return my call, ya that never happened so I started asking around and was told that they were going under.

WWW.quicklaptopcash.com
Old 01-16-2008, 06:04 PM   #9
TECH Apprentice
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 14

I think somebody bought them out. You can still get in touch with them I'm told. I put 42K miles on my old 93 Indy Pace Car with the Powerdyne and never had any problems with it. But 9 psi is pushing it with any supercharger on a stock motor.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:08 PM   #10
TECH Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 1

Their website is still up.
"99 NBM WS6 - M6..Vinci/Crane, MSD, Hurst, Detroit Tru-Trac, Edelbrock, Percy, ARP, QTEC, Flow., GMPP, Centerforce, Lakewood, Eibach, Bilstein, Hotchkiss, Susp.Tech, SLP, KN, Autometer, Optima, LS6 Intake, !Cats, 3:73's, Hood Pins, Fire Ext.....4 - Power Tours
NHRAMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 06:44 PM   #11
TECH Resident
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 12

I thought i heard vortech bought them out?
Old 01-17-2008, 10:38 PM   #12
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus View Post
I would sell it before the internal belt breaks. Bob
BlackSuperchargedLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:44 AM   #13
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 0
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylergarceau View Post
so i just bought an ls1 and it has a powerdyne supercharger, if i understand this correctly its alcohol injected.. my lt1 has a procharger on it which is intercooled. anyone have an input on the powerdyne, im not sure if im going to keep it on there, sell it , or if maybe find a trade. it did decent numbers.. 9psi stock engine 481 rwhp. i mean what would you guys do. keep it on ? idk if i like the thought of refilling the liquid everytime its low and not knowing when its low when im gettting on it.
Tyler, as I understand it from reading many, many, different posts and various websites, the powerdyne is a good supercharger if you understand their limitations and stay within them. First, it was designed as a low boost blower: 4-6#. Second, the idea of using a Kevlar internal belt to drive the impeller is certainly an improvement over the Paxton/McCullough [Yeah, I do go back that far] planetary ball drive, but they are an expendable item and you will be replacing it every so often depending upon the unit you have, how many # it is set up for, and how often you wing your Ls1 to 6,500 rpm or beyond. Third, although most of these units seem to be on 302W Mustangs, I think they might be better suited to 4.8 or 5.3 truck engines.

Your alcohol/H20 injection is a poor man's intercooler. Change the pulley, drop the boost down to 6# and keep the RPM below 6,000 or so and this unit should give you many miles of quiet use.

If you really like the performance of a blown LS1, then you probably should be looking at other options that are designed to pump out 10-15# or more and are intercooled. ATI and Vortech come to mind.

Sale price on e-bay for PowerDynes ranges from $450 to, maybe, $1,000 depending upon both the condition and the completeness of the kit. By comparison, both ATI and Vortech [depending upon the head unit] go for around $2,000 -2500 used on EBay.

Finally, I think that "PowerDyne" has been sold and that the new company is selling PowerDyne's last model [which dumped the belt drive and went with a direct gear drive].

If you decide to sell the PowerDyne, send me a PM.

z
zgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:54 AM   #14
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 0
Talking PowerDyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylergarceau View Post
Tyler, you can also google any of the Mustang sites for PowerDyne and get an eyeful. Check out this supercharger repair site: http://www.superchargerrebuilds.com/?page_id=23 for prices.

Finally, if you are going to sell it: better do it while the internal kevlar belt is still in one piece.

z
zgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:36 PM   #15
TECH Enthusiast
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 8

There is plenty of places to rebuild them so why get rid of them. If the belt breaks atleast it dont puke in your motor like a vortech will if a gear breaks or a bearing go's. keep the boost low and dont over rev the blower and you will be fine.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:36 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
9psi, business, ls1, meth, nevada, powerdyne, powered, procharged, procharger, sale, sparks, supercharger, superchargers, vbulletin, water