Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Help With a turbo build!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 05:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help With a turbo build!

So i finally decided i had to make a jump into FI, problem is that this is unchartered water for me so I need some help from the veterens. Basically I need to know what Im in for in this venture, and also what I will need to complete it, and mabye some opinions on what to do too. basically I have goal of 650WHP

I have decided to use the STS kit, and the OBX FM on ebay, are there any upgrades to this kit i should cosider?

What about my short block, I wouldn't even think about trying to build an NA LS1 to 650WHP, can it be done reliably through FI though? If not should I build the bottom end or go with an aftermarket short block (probably a 370) from a vendor?

What other parts will be needed to get this goal, I will be getting a FAST 90/90, either SVO 42's, or 60's, Patrick G turbo cam, What will i need for the rest of the fuel system? and what else am i missing?

Last edited by LS1IMPULSE; 01-20-2008 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:15 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fast 90/90 and a custom turbo cam??? Are you trying to blow money?? They are totally unnessisary. Spend the money on a forged short block by all means though! A LS6 cam and a really good tune from someone who does forced induction tunes on a regular bases.

60's, rails, and a Walbro will make it to 650whp. Anymore and you will need another walbro.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:31 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

650 rwhp is easy with an ls1,i would spend your money on forged rods and pistons,as well as main and head studs,ls6 intake and cam will work great,we recently put a twin kit on an 03 zo6,with a bone stock motor we made around 625 with 11 lbs of boost,backed down the boost due to stock bottom end
Old 01-20-2008, 07:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice guys this is exactly what I was looking for. few questions though.

-Im guessing the 90/90 would me more power than the LS6/PP LS1 TB right? (I may be wrong just wondering) but are you guys saying it wont be enough to warrant the money spent?

-Same question as above only this time relating to the LS6 cam VS. A custom spec'd turbo cam.

-would I be better off forging my current bottom end or going with an aftermarket forged bottom end (for the price some of these sponsors offer shortblocks at it seems like it would be best to purchase a 0 miles forged shortblock)

Also I plan to have all the tunning done by jeremy formato.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

upon ready it seems some other tips specific to the STS kit i have found would be to sell of the LT's in favor or truck manifolds and a 2.5" ORY back to the turbo all wrapped, or double wrapped, in fiberglass exhaust wrap.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

also I found an STS kit wit a ball bearing GT78 turbo, guy doesn't know the a/r off the top of his head (i think its his buddies kit) but he going to get it for me.

How would this turbo match up to 370 and what a/r would i need it to be to spool quickly and still make good power on the STS kit?
Old 01-21-2008, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

no opinions on the gt78?

Quick Reply: Help With a turbo build!