Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo Damaged in Shipping?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 12:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Damaged in Shipping?

I recently sold a turbo to someone on ebay, and when they received it they said it had a lot of shaft play and is no good. At the time we shipped the turbo it had no shaft play in/out or side to side and it was still in perfect condition and unused.
The guy who bought it wanted it shipped without the turbine housing because he didnt need it so it was shipped with the turbine unprotected. I was wondering if it could have been damaged in shipping enough to make it seem like shaft play.
Thanks.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen a lot of turbos that people claim had "lots of shaft play" that were actually normal with nothing wrong. I think too many people freak out over what is actually normal for a turbo.

If you shipped it without a housing it's best to bubble wrap the hell ou tof the turbine to make sure it's safe.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also hope you marked it (like with a scribe or stamp) to ensure no one's trying to pull a fast swap...

Jim
Old 01-29-2008, 03:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Zombie
I've seen a lot of turbos that people claim had "lots of shaft play" that were actually normal with nothing wrong. I think too many people freak out over what is actually normal for a turbo.

If you shipped it without a housing it's best to bubble wrap the hell ou tof the turbine to make sure it's safe.
People just don't understand that journal bearing turbos are supposed to have .018-.022 side to side shaft play...
Old 01-29-2008, 03:36 PM
TECH Resident

the turbo (td06-1) he is talking about was shipped by me and sold by me via ebay. the person that i sold it to has had his mechanic look at it and they said that it is worse than the one that he took of of the motor. the mechanic told me that the side to side "play" is enough to cause the blades to hit the housing.

can this be caused by shipping damage. the turbo was shipped with it wrapped in 1 inch thick of saran wrap and then it was put into a cardboard box and more cardboard was inserted in the box to strengthen it.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:49 PM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Originally Posted by jester1614
can this be caused by shipping damage. the turbo was shipped with it wrapped in 1 inch thick of saran wrap and then it was put into a cardboard box and more cardboard was inserted in the box to strengthen it.
Certainly if it was shipped USP Seriously though, if it was packed like that and the box was not totally crushed upon receiving it, then chances of it being damage dare small if that. What is the humans crap-bay rating? If it is low, then it sounds like s/he is trying to do a quick switch.

Keith
Old 01-29-2008, 06:51 PM
Launching!

I'd ask for his mechanic's number and call to verify that they are an actual business. Too many scams out there to not verify stuff like that.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:14 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your not going to damage the shaft bushings during shipping,if it was damaged it would we a blade broken off of the turbine wheel or something
Old 01-29-2008, 08:22 PM
TECH Resident

just so everyone knows I did call and talk to the mechanic/shop. also how hard is it to rebuild a turbo???
Old 01-29-2008, 08:44 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rebuilding a turbo is very simple,takes less than an hour as long as you dont have to replace the shaft or wheel.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:11 PM
TECH Addict

So my rule with shipping damage is show me pictures of the box - before opening it - in a visibly damaged condition so I can go back to the shipper for a claim. If the box and packing was OK, I wouldn't refund a dime without good photos, and then you direct them to UPS or your shipper. Having a bearing get damaged without serious external damage is ridiculous. Prove it or get lost would be my position.

Jim

Quick Reply: Turbo Damaged in Shipping?