Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

New project...big one Need advice on Magnuson

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

Default New project...big one Need advice on Magnuson

I sold the 383 LT1 out of my car. Looking to drop in a new LS series motor and a Magnuson to top it off.

I was looking at LS3/LQ9 with some L92 heads and Magnuson. Not sure yet. Looking for input on what I would need to run 10 psi.

Forged pistons?

Can I drop in an OEM LQ9 shortblock or is it better to build a forged bottom end?

This will be my daily driver and I need it to be a bit of a sleeper with a tame cam lope because of my employer. Thats why I like the Magnuson.

I'm open to suggestions and input is appreciated.

Also any guides on LS motor swaps into LT1 cars?
Old 01-30-2008, 12:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd build it with after market rods and pistons. You'll be able to run more boost and make more power. The stock crank is ok for a good amount of power.

A cam with something like 220/228 with a 114-115 lobe will idle pretty smooth, but will make good power with a blower.

If you ever take it to the track you can always put in some higher octane gas and turn up the boost and not have to worry about the bottom end.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would do forged bottom end off the bat, we all know once u get bit by the power bug u always want more.i would say do it right the first time and save the money from having to redo it later. i am kicking myself for starting heads and cam , now i am doing turbo setup.and i would keep the cam smallish like ragenz28 said unless u are doing a stroker kit or a 402 then i would go a little bigger
Old 01-30-2008, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

Probably not doing a stroker. My last cam was a 236/242 with a 109 LSA. Just a pig on gas and the cam lope would shake my fillings loose.

Looking at a 6.0-6.2L V8. Trying to build it as inexpensively as possible. Sleeper and daily driver are the main objectives of this build over max hp. Still, would be nice to have 500+rwhp with decent mpg.

I was looking at turbo as well. I have basically a clean slate here so just trying to explore what my best option would be.

Quick Reply: New project...big one Need advice on Magnuson