Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

A few turbo questions

Old 01-31-2008, 10:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few turbo questions

I'm definately not new to LS1s, but I am new to turbos. I've built quite a few LS motors a few Fords (even a SC F150... basically a Lightning setup). My current daily is a 400hp LS1 3rd gen RX7.

Anyway, I ran across an LS1 swapped 3rd gen Camaro with a straight body and an LS1/4L60e already in it for $1600!! It has a spun crank bearing, so I drug it home, rebuilt the motor, painted it, but before I put the motor back in, I'm thinking about boosting it. There's plenty of room behind each head light for a turbo.

Thing is, I know nothing about it and I learn best by doing it, screwing it up, researching the problem, and fixing it. I want to get a turbo (or 2) and put on this to give me ~500hp to the ground. Nothing crazy, still streetable.

Can you tell me where to start? Basically, all I want to know is what size turbo and trim I need for a single or twin set up. I am thinking about a twin simply to give it some bling because I'm going to sell it after I complete it. Someone with more dollars than sence will pay up for some bling.

Anyway, I can fab up my headers, downpipe, intake pipes, all that ****. I know I need bigger injectors and a good tune. I'm basically here because I need point in the right direction to get a good start.

So, for 500hp, stock bottom end, what size turbo would be best if I go single, and what size would be best if I go twin?

Thanks.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recommend starting with Corky Bell's book on turbos, 'Maximum Boost'. It will answer a lot of your general questions about sizing and layout, etc, then you can come back here for the detail work.

Jim
Old 02-01-2008, 06:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks bro. I've bought a book on FI, but it's really hard to read. Much more advanced than I can understand.

Search this Thread