Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

air filters, the bigger the better? for best flow!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 08:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default air filters, the bigger the better? for best flow!

should i find the biggest one that has the most surface area? would that flow the best?
Old 02-09-2008, 08:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes it would and filter the best.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:08 AM
Staging Lane

The bigger the better is not necessarily true.......Actually the hks style mushroom filter is tiny but due to the design/material it flows better than most filters 5x the size....
Theres a reason that motorcycles use these type of filters.....Think about how much air is required for 15,000 rpms......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986-...spagenameZWDVW ...........Thats a bike filter and its 3 3/4 inches.....

Heatshielde af works great and make great racket/................
Old 02-11-2008, 03:16 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SonnyG
The bigger the better is not necessarily true.......Actually the hks style mushroom filter is tiny but due to the design/material it flows better than most filters 5x the size....
Theres a reason that motorcycles use these type of filters.....Think about how much air is required for 15,000 rpms......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986-...spagenameZWDVW ...........Thats a bike filter and its 3 3/4 inches.....

Heatshielde af works great and make great racket/................
COMPLETELY depends on the setup. We've tried these filters you speak of on positive displacement/twin screw blowers and lost SIGNIFICANT power time and time again. They are junk in my opinion. Get an S&B designed for your setup. Call them, talk to them about power goals and dimensions and they can help. Anything other than that and I wouldnt count on the best info.

HKS filters are terrible! In fact, we tried one on a D1SC car and directly swapped it for a K&N and picked up 20 rwhp with just the filter swap. They have no "technology" behind it other than Vin Diesel thinks it looks good on his RX7.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:43 AM
Staging Lane

Default Wow

meant in a turbo specific application.......They work great actually....You bought a knockoff as simple as that,,,,,,I only reccomended that because he is running open with no protection,,,,,,,,
And actually ther is alot of track proven tech involved,,,,
And the vin diesel thing.....Fack Vin Diesel.....I''ll punch him in his bigazz nose break it rip him out the rx7 steal his wallet...Sell the rotox motor n drop an lsx in it.....But yeah those filters will not work good on an s/c....due to an s/c requires an inlet charge to buildup whereas a turbo is just blowin the thing hard like a cheap hooker.....
I merely rec this over running open.....Otherwise buy a heatshielded conical filter....
Old 02-11-2008, 08:00 PM
TECH Addict

Actually the hks style mushroom filter is tiny but due to the design/material it flows better than most filters 5x the size
You having been reading too much marketing material. Look around the pits of any race you care to name and show me anyone running the HKS setup that is not sponsored by them. That's where you find the proof. But I do agree with one thing you said, "Fack Vin Diesel"!

Back to the air filters - I have a decent amount of room in front of the pass. side wheel, so I put the biggest K&N in there I could spec, trying for the mythical zero-pressure-loss air cleaner. Ended up with a can shaped one 14"Hx8"W with a 6" opening. It pretty much measures up as no restriction. Run as big a filter as you can fit in the space available.

Jim
Old 02-15-2008, 08:04 PM
Staging Lane

Default Hey

Hey, Im not trying to sound like a no it all ***** because belive me I learn something new every day..

But actually the majority of the jgtc 500 (gt500) in japan run those mushroom style filters......
And the majority of the really high output rice cannons use them.....I dont mean a honda with a turbo...I mean 800+ skylines supras etc.....

It really depends on what brand you get tho....

Hks and greddy make an excellent unit....

I never buy into marketing.....I am a marketer,,,,,I dont believe anything ever....Lol...But really the foam filters work pretty good and are a better choice than what most poeple do....I mean just adding a mesh screen....
Old 02-15-2008, 10:15 PM
TECH Addict

I agree when a good foam filter is sized correctly they can be solid units. I just don't agree with the 'tiny' or '5x' flow part.

A larger filter would be best if you had the room - the largest you could fit in the space and still get good outside air.

Jim
Old 02-16-2008, 11:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SonnyG
Hey, Im not trying to sound like a no it all ***** because belive me I learn something new every day..

But actually the majority of the jgtc 500 (gt500) in japan run those mushroom style filters......
And the majority of the really high output rice cannons use them.....I dont mean a honda with a turbo...I mean 800+ skylines supras etc.....

It really depends on what brand you get tho....

Hks and greddy make an excellent unit....

I never buy into marketing.....I am a marketer,,,,,I dont believe anything ever....Lol...But really the foam filters work pretty good and are a better choice than what most poeple do....I mean just adding a mesh screen....
It's called marketing. And FWIW I don't buy into the HKS hype either, almost every car I've seen switch picks up a lot of power over them with a properly sized K&N.

Marty

Quick Reply: air filters, the bigger the better? for best flow!