Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Help with custom rear mount

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 10:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Help with custom rear mount, Progressive build thread. (PICS ADDED)

I am starting my custom rear mount this month. Like everyone else I want to have everything waiting when I get started. I am still sourcing out a few parts one that I am having the biggest problem with is where i can buy an oil return pump. Also if anyone knows about how many silicone couplings I will need for the whole kit (with FMIC) I know that largely depends on how much I weld and I intend to weld as much as possable. And what about 2" or 2-1/4" tubing to the front planning on running a t76 44mm tial and debating on BOV right now. I will be glad to come back and list all the specs for the kit later. Let the suggestions fly

Last edited by Super Slow SS; 03-22-2008 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

47 people have looked, none have replied =[

EDIT:
BOV purchased, thinking of doing hard oil lines to the turbo and back, has anyone done this. I am thinking of using some hydrolic lines like big brake lines and using short sections of SS braided from the oil pan to the frame rail and to the turbo and on the return side the same. Who has pics of there intercooler mounting in the front?
Old 03-06-2008, 07:54 PM
11 Second Club

I bought mine off a friend so it already had the butt mount on it. however I would make it so that the turbo and engine have there own oil supply. I'm looking in to doing this very soon.

I was looking at one from ...tubrowerx... as far as couplers go I would find a place that sells diesel rad. hose and use that for all you mock up. you can get a 2' piece of 2" I.D. for like 15 bucks. it's rated at 30 psi and is cheap enough that if you need more you just run down and buy some. I'm working on changing my piping so I can run sfc's . anyway I'll go look and post up what I have from the engine forward.

everything from the turbo to the engine is just the way the kit comes.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Super Slow SS
I am starting my custom rear mount this month. Like everyone else I want to have everything waiting when I get started. I am still sourcing out a few parts one that I am having the biggest problem with is where i can buy an oil return pump. Also if anyone knows about how many silicone couplings I will need for the whole kit (with FMIC) I know that largely depends on how much I weld and I intend to weld as much as possable. And what about 2" or 2-1/4" tubing to the front planning on running a t76 44mm tial and debating on BOV right now. I will be glad to come back and list all the specs for the kit later. Let the suggestions fly
My suggestion is that if you have welding and fabrication skills, you should build a front mount. Before the argument ensues, I own a rear mount. However, at the time I didn't yet know enough to make my own, and it was the only pre-fab kit available for the GTO. If I were to do it over, I would build my own front mount.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gametech
My suggestion is that if you have welding and fabrication skills, you should build a front mount. Before the argument ensues, I own a rear mount. However, at the time I didn't yet know enough to make my own, and it was the only pre-fab kit available for the GTO. If I were to do it over, I would build my own front mount.
Thats what a bunch of guys at the shop said but overall im looking to do an easier/cheaper kit my first time around. Dont get me wrong I don't intend to cheap out on any part of it but I dont think I can fund the twins right now. I got under the car today and started taking pic for moc up work. I think I will make this a progressive build thread.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

I know people use the Mocal 12v oil pump.

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/

Also, http://www.extremepsi.com/store/customer/home.php have the couplers and clamps and other turbo stuff.

I would also try ebay

Last edited by 96BIGBODY; 03-06-2008 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 96BIGBODY
I know people use the Mocal 12v oil pump.

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/
I am almost set with getting one of those now. Someone else recommended it to me. Little more than I was looking for a 12v fluid pump but, money well spent I guess. My latest Problem has been finding someone who has the turbo I want in stock. And contemplating how to run the oil lines, what type of line to use and how to mount the front mount I cant seem to find pics of anyones in progress mounting. Thanks for the help guys .. I'll start getting pics up when things start going together.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:53 AM
Launching!

there a little place you tap into right above the oil filter for your oil supply, then you run a 4an line to the turbo (same as a nitrous line) then make sure you use a restrictor of some kind to limit the amount of oil going into the turbo (you can use a nitrous jet) then you need an electric oil pump to pump the oil back to the car, you can run it back in through the valve cover, or tap into the oil pan.. i did all this for my sts setup up.. btw i think engine gear was who makes the pump.. sts dosent make their own they just put a sticker on someone elses product
Old 03-08-2008, 02:06 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am almost set with getting one of those now. Someone else recommended it to me. Little more than I was looking for a 12v fluid pump but, money well spent I guess. My latest Problem has been finding someone who has the turbo I want in stock. And contemplating how to run the oil lines, what type of line to use and how to mount the front mount I cant seem to find pics of anyones in progress mounting. Thanks for the help guys .. I'll start getting pics up when things start going together.
I've got a book that tells you everything to do for this swap.Including all parts you need.Very detailed.I could photocopy it and send it to you.I down loaded it a while back but I can't find the link.
Take care.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright, so recently there has been some problems getting turbos shipped. I am going to call a few places tomorrow but does anyone use a GT42 (either the 4202 or the 4294) in stead of the T76. I wanted a t76 but a bunch of people have had problems getting them shipped or failing once installed. I want to stay in about the same price range (1k-1,200) but get a good preforming turbo I can have shipped this week. Any Ideas? (and I got the oil pump on the way now .. )

Ohh, and what about running twin 38mm gates in place of a single 44mm? up sides down sides ?
Old 03-11-2008, 09:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Bump .. Think I am getting a Precision unit today with a 46mm HKS Wastegate.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hell yea Dustin!

Im just as excited as you man

Cant wait to go for a ride
Old 03-11-2008, 08:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Bump .. Think I am getting a Precision unit today with a 46mm HKS Wastegate.
How much is that wastegate and do you have a link
Old 03-11-2008, 10:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

PM me for info on the wastegate and turbo. I ordered today .. Non sponsor site. But hands down the best customer service I have had any ware so far. I saw you at Bockbuster last night Brandon. First thing tomorrow morning I am ordering the rest of the part. Intercooler, oil return pump, and gauges. Which e-bay intercooler to get I am thinking about this one, with the pipes I figure I could use them somehow. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CXRac...spagenameZWDVW

Will post pics of everything and specs when it arrives
So far I have:
SLP long tubes (I know, but I am planning on wrapping them)
Walbro 255
65 lb/hr injectors (precision turbo)
Turbo smart BOV (bought from a member on here, hasn't came in yet)
new motor mounts
new tranny mount
ls7 clutch & ls2 FW
HKS 46mm wastegate
Precision 74mm turbo (.96 a/r) I know overkill but better to be too big.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:29 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So far I have:
SLP long tubes (I know, but I am planning on wrapping them)
Walbro 255
65 lb/hr injectors (precision turbo)
Turbo smart BOV (bought from a member on here, hasn't came in yet)
new motor mounts
new tranny mount
ls7 clutch & ls2 FW
HKS 46mm wastegate
Precision 74mm turbo (.96 a/r) I know overkill but better to be too big.
You couldn't pick a worse performing exhaust setup LOL
Old 03-12-2008, 09:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zombie
You couldn't pick a worse performing exhaust setup LOL
So i've heard. I haven't put them on yet, but when I bought them they were going to compliment a h/c setup, but I figured that wouldn't be enough so now i'm doing forced induction. Are they really going to be that much worse, even wrapped? I mean how much will the faster spool hurt traction wise?
Old 03-12-2008, 10:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright, Gauges, Intercooler, and oil pump are on the way, Just ordered them. But I really need some advice on this exhaust thing. Here is the dilemma, I already have to take the old manifolds down, to replace motor mounts and putting new TR6 Plugs in for the boost. I will already have the tranny down putting a clutch in, Should I really put the stock manifolds back on vs putting on the long tubes I already have and have paid for. If its that big of a difference then I can sell them they are in great shape but I deff don't want to do the same work twice. Gunna give this thread a day then im posting up a new one tonight I need to know whats best I am suppose to start Sunday.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....71&postcount=2

My story
Old 03-12-2008, 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

trust everyone here that already has a rear mount installed.

STOCK MANIFOLDS no longtubes.

How could every single one of us be wrong
Old 03-12-2008, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zombie
you even said that you were using custom exhaust (headers) and wrapped .. so why wouldnt I just wrap my headers to keep the heat in, my theory and my tuners theory says to make the motor more efficient first then worry about keeping the heat in.

Quick Reply: Help with custom rear mount