Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LS6 Stock Bottom end Safe RWHP

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 12:22 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS6 Stock Bottom end Safe RWHP

what a safe limit for a stock botton end LS6 with all new Top end.....

I know it's in the "tune"- but what safe, middle point and high end of safe...

I know they is no Guaranties with boosted motor's, but if tune is good and use Torco, or 100/93 mix and 100 in the Summer, what possible without BOOM!

Thanks
Old 03-12-2008, 02:09 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

500 rwhp and less than 10 pounds of boost seem to be very safe numbers. I have been running those numbers since April 2005 with the same stock bottom end. Others haven't been that lucky...
Old 03-12-2008, 03:47 AM
Launching!

Forgot to mention, I'm running a 72cc head which CR is around 9.5-9.7.....
Old 03-12-2008, 07:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
500 rwhp and less than 10 pounds of boost seem to be very safe numbers. I have been running those numbers since April 2005 with the same stock bottom end. Others haven't been that lucky...
He is correct but again, it still has to have a good tune, A/F is important and of course the timing, People will tell you that they got 650 RWHP, yes you can, will it last NO....
Old 03-12-2008, 08:21 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Off topic: You tuned my car. You tuned it this past January with Steve from PT Motorsports. White Procharged SS...
Old 03-12-2008, 09:00 AM
TECH Addict

Yes, what did we end up with? like 530 RWHP?
Old 03-12-2008, 11:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want to be very safe 5psi is very safe. Buddy has been running that in his sts y2k camaro for a few years. He has 42 pound injectors. I sold him a racetronix pump but don't think he has installed it yet.He has no intercooler or alc injection. He runs pretty rich think around 11 to 1 and not sure about timing. He is bone stock otherwise. So far so good.
7 or so psi would be the limit I would run if didn't have heads with bigger chambers like 72cc to knock the compression down.Then as said you could mabye go 8 to 10 max.
For sure not past 10 on stock block unless you have money put away. Stock cranks are tough, stock rod bolts are weak link but the real weak link is the ringlands in the hypercrap pistons..yes said hypercrap! Have some souvenirs that can post pics of blown hypercrap pistons. Buddy with sts on his lt1 had a little accident with his new boost controller. Got mixed up and put like 15psi thru the stock engine.It was fast...for a minute or so...LOL KABOOM! Expensive lesson. Stay conservative..7psi is pretty safe with conservative afr and timing. And always run premium. Alc injection would be good idea and intercooler also. Greedy will get you blown engine.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:37 PM
TECH Addict

shoot for a realistic horsepower level, some people tell me that they want to run X amount of boost and never talk about HP or TQ. I don't know, just to say Oh I run 10 lbs of boost, My 648 RWHP was at a measly 12lbs of boost, of course this is on a FULLY Built motor made for force induction..another thing, People want 600+ RWHP and forget about the Fuel system, clutch and or tranny, U-Joints, Rear End ect. One guy thought he could just throw in a D1 on a stock Lt1 and make as much HP as I did, well, He found out the hard way...
Old 03-12-2008, 05:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
shoot for a realistic horsepower level, some people tell me that they want to run X amount of boost and never talk about HP or TQ. I don't know, just to say Oh I run 10 lbs of boost, My 648 RWHP was at a measly 12lbs of boost, of course this is on a FULLY Built motor made for force induction..another thing, People want 600+ RWHP and forget about the Fuel system, clutch and or tranny, U-Joints, Rear End ect. One guy thought he could just throw in a D1 on a stock Lt1 and make as much HP as I did, well, He found out the hard way...
Agreed- I'm more focused on rwhp and not how much boost a motor can run....
I've upgraded a few things:
head- lower CR
Clutch (LS7, for now)
DTE readend brace.
BAP
Exile Boost controler
Intercooler
Speed Density tune(s)
A/F gauge
60 lbs injectors
Nitto 555R'2 tires- I want my tires to be the fusable like and slip or smoke and not something else.
Run Torco, 93/100 and/or 100 octane fuel
And a few other basic items

I plan to forged my motor, at some point and do the following:
McLeod Twin clutch
fuel System
Harden output shafts
Retuned
injectors??
And a few other misc itmes.

thanks for the input
Old 03-13-2008, 04:55 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't like to see more than 8 psi on a stock bottom end as an average. I hear of guys running more than that all the time, very few are successful for very long. All it takes is one tank of bad fuel. It seems that you can add a larger cam or better flow heads to the 8 psi of boost, and you'll be okay, but when you add both items it drastically reduces the reliability of your stock bottom end. Bob

Quick Reply: LS6 Stock Bottom end Safe RWHP