Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

StS kit on stock ls1.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 10:13 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default StS kit on stock ls1.

Should I install it on my car without modding it just so its on there till I have the extra cash to purchase a fuel pump, injectors, pushroods, valve springs, and .... not sure what else I would need. My car just rolled to 59,000 miles. If I did put it on before the injectors and such I would only run around 5 psi would this be safe?
Old 03-14-2008, 10:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't do it. You know you will want to try it out once installed. I really doubt the stock fuel delivery system can support it. Take care of that, and get a safe fat tune and you will be fine until the other things can be added.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:38 AM
TECH Regular

Is there anything else I'm missing before I install it... for not having my engine take a crap on me...?
Old 03-14-2008, 10:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buddy is running 5psi on his sts with just 42 injectors. It has predator tuning think the predator comes with the sts kit? It has been running like this for year or more. Engine is bone stock no bigger chamber heads to lower compression. He upgraded his clutch to think spec 2. He babies the car and borrowed my wideband to tune the afr.
Car is impressive even at 5psi. The sts systems work well. He has problems with ground clearance and his car is not dropped at all. They are supposed to be redoing the systems to be higher. Would maybe wait for that redesign.

I went twin front mount but have respect for the sts .Theory or not it works in practice and it works pretty well. Been in two sts cars ,an lt1 and an ls1. The lt1 guy blew his engine with overboost past 10psi ,mistake on his new boost controller. It did run good also until the disaster. He has since sold the car off.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:48 AM
TECH Resident

No, don't do it. You seriously NEED that stuff on there first. Be patiant no need to blow the motor and then have to wait 3 times longer.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:59 AM
12 Second Club

You could get away without doing the pr's and valve springs but not having the fuel component there is asking for trouble.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:09 AM
TECH Veteran

We have monitored buddies car and its fine with stock pump at 5psi would not go higher and he don't have different springs or pushrods ,he kepts stock redline. He bought racetronix pump off me but has not installed it yet. He will take it up to 7psi when he gets the pump installed. Better valve springs are more important with higher lift cam or when you have high mileage on your springs. Buddies car has been running at least a couple of years with zero problems with his sts at 5psi. He did install 42 pound injectors right away and he did tune the car right away with the predator. 7psi is pretty safe on stock engine but for that would make sure to have the fuel pump,and injectors and proper tuning.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:15 PM
TECH Regular

Alright so looks like im gonna wait to install it... probably just take off my exhaust and put on the stock stuff but put up the 2.5" exhaust pipes to the y-pipe and 2.5 to the back to the turbo and just dump it there. Then sell my headers and be on my way for the supporting stuff so I dont blow my motor . Thanks for all the info. One quick one with the piping if I go with 2.5" on the exhaust to the turbo then do a 3.5" to the engine that would be the most optimal right because of the double surface ration from pipe to pipe? Or am I getting this all wrong and just stick with what they give me... I havnt measured any pipes yet, but from research I've been doing thats the conclusion I came to on the piping situation.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Do not install with out proper fuel delivery units

Minimum of injectors and fuel pump and tune to be safe.....
Old 03-14-2008, 02:51 PM
TECH Regular

So does this list look good?
http://www.thunderracing.com/wishlis...view&wlid=9745
Or should I change anything I put on there?
Old 03-14-2008, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ryan33187
my opinion would be to get the 60 lbs injectors, that way if you plan to work past it, you only spend another 50 dollars as compared to selling ur injectors and buying them again.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would personaly go talk to Bob @ EPP (Sponser here --->) and get his Siemens Deka Mototron 60lb Injector Set like mentioned above for a few extra bucks from the 42lb but will save you in the long run because trust me you will want to up the boost

and

#Walbro GSS340 - GSS340 Hi Flow Fuel Pump = only 119.99 on his site

This is the set up that i went with and you should be good 600rwhp .... just my .02
Old 03-14-2008, 03:39 PM
TECH Resident

I guess it all depends on how you want to drive your car! Do you want to baby the thing all the time or run the hell out of it when you feel like playing? I am still still with my original post. My car has been down for 11 months now (almost done), but after the tune I am not going to have to worry about babing it. When I get beside that mustang it's go time!!
Old 03-14-2008, 03:43 PM
On The Tree

Do not get the 60's unless you are turning up the boost past 5 psi. You will do just fine with the 42's and 5psi. If you start upping the boost without a forged shortblock then you better start saving for a new forged one. These things don't like a good amount of boost on stock internals. But if you do plan on having the forged shortblock. Then by all means get the 60's and turn that bitch up!
Old 03-14-2008, 04:02 PM
TECH Resident

Why by injectors twice? They're not cheap! If he plans on up grading later to a forged bottom end and more boost then he's already got the 60's. What's wrong with leaving room on the table to grow? Sure the 42's would be good for a now, but boost is addictive.

I'm not telling you how to spend your money, just trying to help you out. If you don't ever see yourself going past 5 psi then by all means stick with the 42's they'll be plenty of injector for that level.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Should I install it on my car without modding it just so its on there till I have the extra cash to purchase a fuel pump, injectors, pushroods, valve springs, and .... not sure what else I would need. My car just rolled to 59,000 miles. If I did put it on before the injectors and such I would only run around 5 psi would this be safe?
In short...no, no, and no. PS. Not to be a dick, but This question has been answered a LOT.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok one more time..I have personal experience with guy in our car club with sts on bone stock motor..bone stock no spring upgrade ,pushrod upgrade. He is running 42 pound injectors at 5psi with predator tune. I let him borrow my wideband for tuning it. And I scanned the car also.
No problems with the stock pump feeding 5psi. Why should there be.Guys run heads/cam/headers /bolt ons to this same power level no problem on stock pump.
As said if you go over 5psi to 7psi then sure add a pump or inline pump or boost a pump unit. And for peace of mind if you have say over 75,000 miles on the stock springs then for sure swap them out and factory pushrods are not so good especially in m6 cars.

But you don't have to do anything other than the injectors and tune right now. And keep the redline stock. Buddy does not baby his car. So quit making the guy paranoid for no reason. The stock cam at 5psi on reasaonble mileage stock springs is not going to give any valve float.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not sure about anyone else, but I'd rather spend $110 on a better pump if nothing else than for extra insurance. As far as comparing a NA h/c car, there is no comparison between that and FI when it comes to fuel.
As far as springs go, FI will put more stress on stock springs. We have had customers add springs to their car, and picked up power.
If the guy is wanting to do FI, then he needs to spend money on the things that will make the system as safe and reliable as possible. It would certainly think waiting a couple of weeks to get a few extra dollars would be worth it.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had a buddy that tried to use 60's on a bone stock ls1 with just fuel upgrades and the tuner had a real hard time to get it to idle, as a matter of fact he had to install 42's, not saying its not possible just saying that it wasnt working for him. He had done others with success though.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:04 AM
TECH Resident

Post #4
Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
He babies the car and borrowed my wideband to tune the afr.
Post # 17
Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Buddy does not baby his car. So quit making the guy paranoid for no reason.

Ooo K

Don't know anyone would drop 5 G's in a turbo kit and would not be willing to drop another $700 in supporting mods to have it right.

half assed = half fast

Quick Reply: StS kit on stock ls1.