Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

supercharger question

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 02:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default supercharger question

is it possible to have a centrifugal supercharger(i.e. procharger) feed a roots type supercharger(i.e. magnacharger)
Old 03-14-2008, 07:17 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Possibly, but not practical. Bob
Old 03-14-2008, 07:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Volkswagon did it with a turbo and roots style blower it netted them pretty good numbers for the littel TDI. But practically our engines make enough torque I wouldn't see a reason to even bother with the headache. VW did it to give it more low end and used the turbo for top end.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:41 PM
Teching In

thanx for the input, but forgive my inexperience. if that is impractical, whats the point of twin turbos.. could someone explain the difference,lookin to be educated.. thanx
Old 03-14-2008, 08:51 PM
On The Tree

That'd be pretty wild but very space consuming. Not to mention how the belts would be routed. Sounds interesting but like a major PITA.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:04 PM
Teching In

it wouldnt be all that space consuming.. the magnacharger takes the place of the intake manifold and would only minutely affect the hood clearance. and the procharger could be installed like normal..as far as the belts i would assume they could ran off the same belt because they both need to be run off the crank.. and if not the same belt.. a 2" drive extension can be bought with the magnacharger. and a dual pulley on the crank can run the serpentine belt + procharger and the magnacharger can be run independently.. right??? someone let me know if im talking out of my a$$..lol thanks
Old 03-15-2008, 12:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Twin turbos work off of each side of the engine for our cars. Normally they run the same size but you can stagger them or you can run smaller ones to help spool quicker vs one big one with a single turbo. I am not a turbo guy, so someone could help out alot more then me on that stuff.

Could you do it? Sure. Will it help? dunno. No one wants to spend the money to try somethign like that unless the **** is free just laying around and you feel like doing it out of fun, or got deep pockets and are bored. You would have to run them together to make it work or it will become ineffeciant and block more air then push. Besides there are plenty of kits from Single Turbos, Twin Turbos, Centri S/C's, the Maggie. etc that make plenty of power for most needs. If you were to try something like that your better off trying to make the KB fit under the hood, then try that mess. Plus tuning it would be a bitch. Fuel map would be crazy I bet just attempting that.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:37 AM
FormerVendor

Very not practical, dual loading on the crank shaft.

A Twin-Charged system is ideal for a broad power band.

Look back to group-b rally, most cars were twin charged with a positive displacement blower then had a single turbo. It was defiantly a insane power combination, which is why these cars were outlawed due to the death of spectators and drivers, 600+hp in a mid 2000lb car is a bit intense.

For a street setup it is allmost ideal for a large band of torque and hp. Will it hook? All depends on weight transfer and how it hits.

Power band can be acheived with single adders, they just have to be properly sized.
A 400in motor with twin smaller turbos will bring a good band for the street and still have good top end.

Centri blowers are mostly top end, easy to install and maintain if not being pushed super hard.

Top mount blowers have the same issue of belt slip like the centri's, all in the idler/bracketry of the blower setup to aid in belt traction.

Another option is large cubes and nitrous, this option is getting more expensive then FI.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:06 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a look at the torque made with this F-1A ProCharger on a LS2 402, the torque comes in quite early, and the blower is not being pushed very hard at 14 psi.
This combination will destroy the tires in first three gears.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=29
Link to the car this engine is from. Bob