Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

How Fast With How Small?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 05:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How Fast With How Small?

Those of you with a turbo setup, how fast have you gone or how much horsepower have you made with how small a down pipe? I want to hear from those of you that are running singles with 3 or 3.5” down pipes (<4”), and maybe some dual setups with <2.5” down pipes? A brief description of the setup would help keep the answers in context.

To give you some idea of why I’m asking, I originally set out to find a body/shell to build a turbo project in that I pretty much had all the running gear for, wanting to build a “race car” that could see some street time. What I ended up finding/getting a good deal on was a TA that was lot more complete than I hoped for, it even has working air conditioning and cruise control, it’s actually a really nice driver. So I’m thinking more like “Ok, street car that is going to see a lot of race time…” Looking at it, I think I can see how to wedge everything in it but I’m just not sure about the down pipe. 3” looks tight, and it looks like it would take a minor miracle to fit a 3.5”
Old 03-21-2008, 10:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

So no one has run fast/made a good deal of power with a turbo setup using a 3" or 3.5" down pipe?
Old 03-21-2008, 04:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the PT* kit with a T67; I'm pretty sure this is a 3" downpipe. It's a very tight fit. Numbers in sig.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:31 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can go really fast on a small downpipe. Jose at forced inductions went low 10s or so I think with a 3 inch downpipe in the 1997 SS on their site. I'll be running a 4 incher once I get mine finished. I'm guessing this is a third gen car?
Old 03-21-2008, 11:27 PM
TECH Addict

9.9 at 146 mph on a single 3" downpipe at 17 psi. I'm pretty sure there's more in it too.

Mike
Old 03-23-2008, 11:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
You can go really fast on a small downpipe. Jose at forced inductions went low 10s or so I think with a 3 inch downpipe in the 1997 SS on their site. I'll be running a 4 incher once I get mine finished. I'm guessing this is a third gen car?
Well, the current car in question is an 87 TA, why, what made you guess that?

Engineermike, I’m pretty sure that your combination was one of the ones that I was thinking about, but I might be mixing it up with someone else, I thought that you measured some excessive hot side pressures, E/I pressure ratio and were going to go with something bigger. What hot side are you running on that 76 and what headers/manifolds are you using?
Old 03-24-2008, 05:56 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Silverback
... I thought that you measured some excessive hot side pressures, E/I pressure ratio and were going to go with something bigger. What hot side are you running on that 76 and what headers/manifolds are you using?
I'm running a 3" log-style manifold feeding a .96 AR T76GTS. 3" downpipe to a 3.5" exhaust system with a Magnaflow muffler. At 17 psi boost the exhaust pressure is 34 psi. I had numbers as high as 48 psi at the same boost with an Aerochamber muffler and smaller intercooler (yes, it matters). I think it would benefit from a 3.5" downpipe, but it would be a real challenge to fit it.

Mike
Old 04-02-2008, 01:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

hum... what size intercooler did you have and what did you go to (suddenly becomming a pertinent question since I'm rethinking all that to work with AC)?
Old 04-02-2008, 01:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Silverback
hum... what size intercooler did you have and what did you go to (suddenly becomming a pertinent question since I'm rethinking all that to work with AC)?
I was running a vortech aftercooler that had over 2 psi drop across it. Now, I'm running a custom Bell unit that's 2.5 times the size of the Vortech unit and the pressure drop is <1 psi.

Mike

Quick Reply: How Fast With How Small?