Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Help decide..Maggie or Procharger?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 03:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Help decide..Maggie or Procharger?

My initial project plan was to build a healthy N/A 403 but have now considered the F/I route. At this point, this is where I'm at and my initial concerns:
  • Have a 403 designed for 11:1 - I'd prefer lower compression (9 or 10:1?) to run more boost but not interested in running more than 10-12psi. Should I consider a piston change?
  • Have a set of untouched L92s - any opportunities here to help my compression issue?
  • Car designed for show/street. Must be aesthetically pleasing. The cool factor of a polished Maggie under there is HIGH...the Procharger with a FMIC will be the only option to avoid that air box . Anyone provide some pics of the plumbing routed for a front mount configuration?
  • Have spoke with Ed at LM Speed - upcoming Maggie's designs for LS3/L92 heads are TBD. Thanks for info Ed...
  • Waiting to hear back from Bob @ EPP on some ideas.
  • Could anyone speculate or help me understand a pound for pound comparison if both units were to provide 10psi, who wins the HP war?

Feel free to jump in and provide advice in my consideration the F/I route or ask me a few questions based on information I may not have provided. Thanks in advance...
Old 03-21-2008, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i personally like the maggie. if you are going with a street car that is what i would suggest doing. if it were strip i would say procharger. if you do a search you will see that more people perfer the low end torque of the maggie. which helps with a killer street setup
Old 03-21-2008, 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what kind of RWHP can a magna charger put out? Max RWHP on an extreme set up for the street? Say on top of a 422ci.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know how much material you can hog out of the L92 heads to lower compression, but if you're going to run high compression, you'll be better off with a Procharger. The cylinder pressure at low RPMs with a Magnacharger and 11:1CR would be pretty dangerous I would think. Also, like you said there is no Maggie kit out right now to work with the L92 heads, so who knows when you'd even be able to do this.

The other thing that bothered me about the LM Speed kit was that you are required to lower the K-member 3/4" towards the ground with some spacers. This reduces ground clearance as well as increases bumpsteer, especially so on an already-lowered vehicle.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Procharge it and don't look back.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:41 PM
TECH Veteran

With your setup Procharger. D1SC. Maggie would be nice but like he said above, not gonna fit those heads. Could always get different heads though. Not a big deal. Maggie if you want torque in low end, it will make that thing scream. Procharger will be a bit more managable on the street and still make damn good power up top with that block and comp. EPP or some of these other guys who do alot of setups like this will chime in with whether or not that compression is a bit too much. Me I will try anything till it blows lol.

Originally Posted by DuronClocker
The other thing that bothered me about the LM Speed kit was that you are required to lower the K-member 3/4" towards the ground with some spacers. This reduces ground clearance as well as increases bumpsteer, especially so on an already-lowered vehicle.

Lowering of the k member does nothing of the sort with this kit. All you are doing is spacing the body from the K member. The K member supports all of the parts connected to the steering, drivetrain, and engine mounts. The ONLY parts connected to the body is the upper shocks and the upper A arms. With a proper alignment it corrects that issue and is within tolerance of the GM specs. The body is raised. The cars clearance is uneffected. When you do a body lift on a 4x4 does the drivetrain and suspension get closer to the ground or change? Nope, same prinicple only a lot less lift . Not flaming or anything but i hear this alot and I have proof outside in my garage and these statements come from people who do not have or seen this kit installed.

PS: I also run lowered Eibachs with koni's.

Last edited by bd mnky; 03-21-2008 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BadMonkey
Lowering of the k member does nothing of the sort with this kit. All you are doing is spacing the body from the K member. The K member supports all of the parts connected to the steering, drivetrain, and engine mounts. The ONLY parts connected to the body is the upper shocks and the upper A arms. With a proper alignment it corrects that issue and is within tolerance of the GM specs. The body is raised. The cars clearance is uneffected. When you do a body lift on a 4x4 does the drivetrain and suspension get closer to the ground or change? Nope, same prinicple only a lot less lift . Not flaming or anything but i hear this alot and I have proof outside in my garage and these statements come from people who do not have or seen this kit installed.

PS: I also run lowered Eibachs with koni's.
Hmm, actually, you are very correct, lol. I imagine you'd still need an alignment afterwards because the upper A-arms are still staying stationary, and lowering the K-member/lower A-arm mounting points would change their angle slightly. I don't know why I was so worried about this... lol

EDIT: Seeing as the springs control the body's ride height with the spring/shock being mounted to the shock towers, lowering the K-member 3/4" means that will be 3/4" less ground clearance there..
Old 03-21-2008, 07:19 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LPE 403
My initial project plan was to build a healthy N/A 403 but have now considered the F/I route. At this point, this is where I'm at and my initial concerns:
  • Have a 403 designed for 11:1 - I'd prefer lower compression (9 or 10:1?) to run more boost but not interested in running more than 10-12psi. Should I consider a piston change?
  • Have a set of untouched L92s - any opportunities here to help my compression issue?
  • Car designed for show/street. Must be aesthetically pleasing. The cool factor of a polished Maggie under there is HIGH...the Procharger with a FMIC will be the only option to avoid that air box . Anyone provide some pics of the plumbing routed for a front mount configuration?
  • Have spoke with Ed at LM Speed - upcoming Maggie's designs for LS3/L92 heads are TBD. Thanks for info Ed...
  • Waiting to hear back from Bob @ EPP on some ideas.
  • Could anyone speculate or help me understand a pound for pound comparison if both units were to provide 10psi, who wins the HP war?

Feel free to jump in and provide advice in my consideration the F/I route or ask me a few questions based on information I may not have provided. Thanks in advance...

Check out the torque at the low end on this LS2/402 that has an F-1A ProCharger.

Here is the way we routed the intercooler tubing on my Camaro. Bob

Old 03-21-2008, 07:57 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the quick response guys. Looks like the jury is still split though...to a point, I guess I expected it, lol.

The cylinder heads as BadMonkey pointed out are no biggie - I can change them to make the necessary adjustments. Though I'm not in a huge hurry - hell, the car has been apart for a few years so a few more months won't kill me - I would change the pistons too if it meant doing it right. I just want to make sure that before I get back into this thing, the combo makes sense.

Bob...I sent you a long winded email a few days back. If you have a few minutes, I like to hear back from you. Thanks! BTW, nice plumbing work on that beast...power numbers aren't too bad either ! Care to speculate power numbers using a D1SC and more convention intake (Fast or L76) and head combo?
Old 03-21-2008, 08:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Bob and his guys will steer you in the right direction. I only suggested a D1SC when you mentioned the 10lbs of boost with that compression. But really, if you are going to spend the money just do the F1A or go nuts with a F1R. I think the F1A though maybe enough for you. If you got the time and want to change the pistions I would, just to optimize your setup for F/I. The compression will limit you in the end, and you may want more boost later. If that bottom end and everything can support it, a F1 would blow your mind
Old 03-21-2008, 09:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BadMonkey
Bob and his guys will steer you in the right direction. I only suggested a D1SC when you mentioned the 10lbs of boost with that compression. But really, if you are going to spend the money just do the F1A or go nuts with a F1R. I think the F1A though maybe enough for you. If you got the time and want to change the pistions I would, just to optimize your setup for F/I. The compression will limit you in the end, and you may want more boost later. If that bottom end and everything can support it, a F1 would blow your mind
Thanks for the input Monkey. I guess before I move forward, I should understand what these 'sizes' are all about. The compression issue is crucial for sure. Not taking any chances in blowing this thing to hell. So with the proper precautions taken now, I'd like to leave the door open to upgrade when I get bored with 6-700 horse . Might call Bob next week...
Old 03-22-2008, 07:02 AM
On The Tree

go procharger from bob at epp. he did a great job on mine. look at sig and only 8.8psi.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:56 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Thanks for the quick response guys. Looks like the jury is still split though...to a point, I guess I expected it, lol.

The cylinder heads as BadMonkey pointed out are no biggie - I can change them to make the necessary adjustments. Though I'm not in a huge hurry - hell, the car has been apart for a few years so a few more months won't kill me - I would change the pistons too if it meant doing it right. I just want to make sure that before I get back into this thing, the combo makes sense.

Bob...I sent you a long winded email a few days back. If you have a few minutes, I like to hear back from you. Thanks! BTW, nice plumbing work on that beast...power numbers aren't too bad either ! Care to speculate power numbers using a D1SC and more convention intake (Fast or L76) and head combo?
Thanks, the dyno chart that I posted is from a Caddy CTS-V that we recently finished up. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=29
We're going to add more boost to it once the engine gets some more miles on it.

This build is probably closer to what you're looking to do.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=40
It is basically a budget built using the factory crank and Patriot heads, nothing exotic. The D-1SC is maxed out though, it would be more efficient with an F-1A. The F-1A is basically the same size as the P and D series blower, it still has a 9.0" volute diameter. The inlet and outlet are the same size as the smaller blowers.

I'll dig through my e-mails for yours. Do give me a call when you get a chance next week. Thanks! Bob
Old 03-22-2008, 07:57 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jmdgto
go procharger from bob at epp. he did a great job on mine. look at sig and only 8.8psi.
Thanks John, you have a great driving GTO! Bob
Old 03-22-2008, 09:45 AM
TECH Addict

Geeeez-us those things make some crazy power . Thanks for the post ups Bob, I'll give you call next week!!
Old 03-22-2008, 05:45 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Geeeez-us those things make some crazy power . Thanks for the post ups Bob, I'll give you call next week!!
Sounds good, have a happy Easter! Bob
Old 03-23-2008, 10:04 PM
FormerVendor

Brent,

you may want to look into the TVS technology a little bit more as well. When we discussed it, it was upcoming, and several hurdles exsisted.
Now, It is available(it would require some custom work to fit an F-body) and I have found out some things that my help you.

Let me know if you're interested,
Ed
Old 03-24-2008, 02:28 AM
TECH Regular

Ed Potter directed me several times on my car. Even when I was asking about options not dealing with his shop. He will tell ya what you need. Good Luck .
Old 03-24-2008, 07:05 AM
On The Tree

you made the right choice. they are 2nd to none. hey bob i took down my son's 600cxr bike from 70mph on the other day. car runs great.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:29 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by jmdgto
you made the right choice. they are 2nd to none. hey bob i took down my son's 600cxr bike from 70mph on the other day. car runs great.

That is awesome, I bet he was surprised! Have you given your wife a wot ride yet? Bob

Quick Reply: Help decide..Maggie or Procharger?