Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Ceramic coated or stainless

Old 03-21-2008, 03:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ceramic coated or stainless

Just curious what everyone prefers for their hot parts....ceramic coated or stainless. I was thinking of getting stainless and doing a nice polish job on it. In the long run it may be less to worry about compared to coating.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The turbo headers on my used hiflo kit are stainless (or supposed to be), and I'd planned on ceramic coating them, and doing the same on the crossover as well as wrap it up too with heat wrap.

So far I've beadblasted one of the headers and it clouded up alot but looks better. I thought about just beadblasting the other one and spraying some hi heat paint on them instead. I dunno what to do. Good thread though, thanks for starting it!
Old 03-22-2008, 08:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stainles will discolor almost instantly like within the first 50 miles. Ceramic coating will almost never discolor and does a great job at protecting the steel plus the added heat barrier. Some people, like myself, likes the way stainless looks after it has been heat cycled and changes colors
Old 03-22-2008, 08:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i like the way that SS looks like after a while but it cost more for wleding it nicely and polishing it up. i went the CC way cuss it was cheaper and i like how it acts as a heat berior.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Hi-Flo kit and the headers are stainless and ceramic coated can't beat that.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 52172
I have the Hi-Flo kit and the headers are stainless and ceramic coated can't beat that.
Yeah, thats weird though. My kit was just the discolored headers and the rest he'd wrapped heat wrap around (crossover). It looked like there was some ceramic on them at one time on the headers, but it had worn off in spots or something. I think I'm going to have a local place ceramic them again (use my friends beadblaster to get them ready to recoat).

Search this Thread