Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

please help with my tune

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default please help with my tune

Ok guys, i finally got some injectors and am ready to start logging and tuning. everything i have is in my sig. i need to know what is everyones advice on things to tune before my first WOT logged run. I dont want to chance hurting anything and being a total newb on my tuning i really want some advice. please let me know what i need to do to safely get my first run in WOT.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:23 PM
TECH Addict

I highly recommend you get Jeff Hartman's book 'Tuning and Modifying Engine Management Systems'. His chapter, EFI-101, takes you through a new tune (including special instructions for Forced Induction motors) from A to Z, safely. I used his book to successfully tune my Vortech-blown 383 to 632rwhp without anyone else touching it.

Available from amazon.com for ~$20 new, down to like $4 used. If you do overnight you could have one tomorrow.

Bottom line for a WOT run: Use race gas so detonation is less of a threat. Keep the ignition advance low until your fuel map is 95% in place. Datalog every run, then analyze the data and tweak as needed. Don't stay at WOT for longer than a couple seconds. If you hear a SINGLE PING, back off and don't do it again until you figure out why.

I can't say how many guys I've seen here that think forced induction tuning is like tuning with a carb. Everyone around you will be full of "useful" advice: "Take it out and blow the carbon out of it". "Keep your foot in it and see if it clears up".

Ignore them all and do it right. Modern, computer controlled engines are completely different from everthing they've ever worked on, so why should you listen to their (obsolete) advice?

Jim
Old 03-23-2008, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok thanks..good advice..i will definitely look for that book now... anyone else?

Quick Reply: please help with my tune