Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

stroked lt1 twins

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stroked lt1 twins

well im about to dive into the bosted world and i have al the info i need except for one thing. i was reading about the turbo sizing of twins and havent came up with a solution yet. i know that they are junk brand and what ever but i keep coming up with the idea of twin to4e's the ones that you can get of ebay for a dime a dozen. i know they work and hold together because we used them on the last project it was a budget turbo civic build. the car was crazy fast and we never once had a problem out of the turbo setup. we were running 14 pounds on stock internals and the car would flat get it. spool time took a little long but it was a 1.6. but back to my question would twin to4e s (the cheapy ebay ones) make 750 to 800 to the ground? it is a forged low compression 383 lt1. remember all other supporting mods are there and done. from drivetrain to fueling.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont see why not
Old 03-28-2008, 02:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

T04's are mostly used in the Import world (mostly on Supra's). They are a very old Turbo compared to many new Turbo's on the market today both in the Import world, and in the Domestic crowd as well.

I'm not saying they won't work, but they were designed to go on a different car than one being a 383 cubic inch V-8, and because of their age, there are numerous Turbo's that are superior. If you have the time and means to do all the fabrication and troubleshooting, then I don't see why you couldn't get a twin T04 setup to work with some very large power (yes, well above 750 to the wheels).

Personally, I would run, and reccomend going with a Turbo that is being used more on F-bodies. That way you don't have to figure out all the fabrication and troubleshooting stuff by yourself. Most of it should just be setup to work out of the box, and you'll have several other people you can ask for technical support. It may cost more than a dime a dozen T04's but you could make the same if not more power with a large single Turbo meant for F-body's specifically.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the input guys keep it coming. call 911 i would like to stick with twins because i like to challenge my fabrication skills alot. i think that the wow factor when people see and hear about it would be cool. when i said they were cheap i mean real real cheap. i dont want to say the website because i dont want to get this thread locked but the to4e that i found are 175 shipped to your door lol. its almost like if it doesnt work how i want then throw them in the trash and find a better piece. the reason i am going the boosted route is because i beleive you can do it for alot less then what everyone thinks. starting with turbos that dont cost 1200 a piece. the specs on the to4e are 57 COMPRESSOR WHEEL TRIM-50 A/R COMPRESSOR-.63 A/R TURBINE. how does the sizing look to everyone else?
Old 03-28-2008, 07:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you get it fabbed up right, I have seen twin T04's push 1,000 RWHP at high boost on Supra's. And Supra's are just a 3.0 liter inline 6 cylinder. Even with moderate boost levels on a V8, twin T04's ought to give you all the power you could ever dream about. Just make sure you aren't skimping out on the motor. Make sure you are running a fully forged bottom end with a low CR (say less than 9:1), and you should be good.

Please keep us posted on the progress once you get things rolling. You will be the only guy I know of trying anything like this, and knowing the capability of the T04 even though its considered ancient technology in the Turbo world, it still is a formidable Turbo as it was considered top of the line back in its day, and it is definatly capable of some big power.

Oh, and I wouldn't worry about the lag, especially running the twins. V8's are known for their little turbo lag since they produce lots of torque down low getting them into the HP and boost quickly. If they get to be more than the little bit of lag that I expect you to have, you can always change to some steeper gears.