Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Magnaflow exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Magnaflow exhaust

I was reading this threadhttps://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=exhaust and was curious if my magnaflow exhaust is restrictive. Anyone have an idea?
Old 04-02-2008, 08:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you tune your setup with the magnaflow I do not see there being any issue, but keep it on do not change your setup without tuning. With F/I there is no reason to open a cutout, what its tuned for and whats on the car should stay the same. If you tune it with the magnaflow then open a cutout then yea, too big of a change something will be effected. Its not so much backpressure, its th fact that "something" changed to cause the engine computer to play catchup to get it where it was before you made that change. Samething would apply if you tuned a turbo kit with no exhaust or cutout, then put a muffler on, i fyou tune it that way keep it that way.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't go that far. Yes if you tune for it the peak power may be comparable, but the power will come in faster and at lower RPMs with an open cutout due to the turbo spooling quicker because of less backpressure.

That thread is leading you in the right direction. Buy a cutout and have the car tuned with it open if you're gonna be racing the car/driving it 'spirited' this way. You could always close it on the street and still get on it, the car will just be more rich and make less power with it closed through the muffler.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The magnaflow CB is one of the best. I am running it and I put down 655 rwhp through my CB exhaust on only 10 lbs boost. Once I open the cutout I see 700 rwhp so the catback flows pretty ******* good Any catback that puts down over 600 rwhp is great if you ask me.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:37 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a magnaflow catback on my car.....I have a 3" downpipe going into a 3" cutout, then into my magnaflow catback....I must say, a Cutout was the best thing I could do for the money....just by opening it, was a HUGE difference in low and top end pull...not to mention hearing the turbo whistling like a freight train just cruising around sounds sick....

granted im only a 3.8...but all the same principle....we were having turbo 3.8 guys gaining 30-40rwhp just by opening a cutout...and increasing traps in the 1/4 by 2-3mph.

Quick Reply: Magnaflow exhaust