Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

My APS TT dyno results & info

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 02:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default My APS TT dyno results & info

I have a 99 formula A4. Last year I did a little work to it. Bolt ons such as headers, air lid, magnaflow...a 3600 vig stall, some tuning, and a 224 thunder racing cam. I though it moved out pretty good. It made around 340hp and ran the 1/8th in 7.59 @ 91 mph (11.95 @ 111mph in the 1/4th).

I wanted something more, and had never had a FI car before, so I decided to purchase the APS TT kit from down under.

It arrived in November '07:

I started installing it in January. I pulled the engine out to install the turbo kit...made it a little easier that way. I also wanted to install a new stealth cam, stock 317 heads (to lower compression) and change the oil pump & timing chain since I didn't do that the first time around - having the engine on a stand made this much easier.

To accomodate the TT kit I purchased a k-member from UMI. I had to clock the turbo minimally to make it clear. Other supporting modifications included 60lb injectors and a racetronix fuel system. This is my daily driver, so I decided to keep a full exhaust on it including high flow cats and a magnaflow. I've also got a cutout installed. Overall the car is very, very quiet.

I also added an e-Boost controller left over from our previously turbo'd TBSS. I installed it into one of the vents in the center console for easy access. I've purchased a dual pillar pod for my Scan gauge & wideband, which I will be installing shortly.

Overall I was impressed with the kit. It is very good quality workmanship. The instructions are very clear and concise. The fit is a little tight but we are dealing with an f-body here!

I wish I'd have paid attention to the wastegates before installing them. They came with 7lb springs, I only want to run around 5 lbs. I've purchased new springs, however the passenger side wastegate is wedged against the trans, it looks like a pain to get out now.

Currently the car is making 8lbs of boost. That's the most I plan to run on the stock shortblock. Ideally with the new springs I will push around 5-6lbs at the track. It is the fastest car I have built so far, and honestly it does scare me a bit! It does not take much to break the tires loose. I plan to make a few shakedown passes at the track to get used to it. It feels a whole lot different than a strong n/a car.

Here's what my car looks like now...I don't really plan to change anything about the way it looks. Boring, I know.

Here's how it turned out on the dyno. Run 1 is last year with the bolt ons/224 cam. Run 2 is the APS TT, 8 lbs. Run 3 is the same thing, but with the cutout open.

I plan to head out to the track as soon as I've installed the new wastegate springs. From there I should have my work cut out for me - I'm pretty sure I'll need to start modifying the suspension (all stock) and hit up some new drag radials to make the most out of this.

Thanks for reading & good luck with your builds....glad to finally fit in with this section of the board
Old 04-08-2008, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice post
Old 04-08-2008, 02:36 PM
Launching!

Congrats, Tell Alvin to get my car to make some of that big hp, lol. I got the parts he wanted for my ws6 so ya'll should have'em b 4 the week is up. again, congrats.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:38 PM
TECH Resident

wow...i had no idea that a cutout helped that much. nice numbers!!
Old 04-08-2008, 02:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow nice! I was surprised to see your post, had no idea you were in the process of doin that install. I'm in the middle of a similar build, BUUTT I had to rebuild the bottomend in the process!

How does that converter like the boost? Does it stay tight or flash up pretty high when it comes on? The numbers are locked numbers I presume? Let us know how it does at the track on some tire!
Old 04-08-2008, 03:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice to see another APS car done. And the cutout likely helps more because its FI car versus NA car. I also am using a cutout right now and b and b catback to keep things pretty quiet. I am hoping it don't sound raspy with no cats since the turbos should quiet things down too.

Looks like decent numbers for an auto especially and really think you should be fine at 8psi with your heads dropping compression a bit. Run alc/meth for extra insurance on pump gas and really don't think you need 5psi! Its your car and ok to be conservative but seems too conservative to me. The APS is set to work fine on stock motors. And as you said likely big pain to get that wastegate out of there now. You don't need to remove the whole gate to change springs. They just go under the hat if that is any easier. But again once you get used to this level of power it would be a shame to go back down.

Be interested to see what she gets at the track. Et street radials or similar are pretty much required for sure at this power level.Nittos aren't bad but can't touch et street radial numbers from my own personal experience at even less power levels and other guys at our track.

So curious is it really hard to take engine out the bottom in a garage with no overhead hoist. I am thinking to do it this way shortly on my car. Any tips or special tools I would need. I have some good floor jacks, low profile cherry picker and assortment of jack stands but they might not be high enough?
Just seems less chance of scratching up things by going thru the bottom.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:05 PM
12 Second Club

owww it looks sleeper, great numbers
Old 04-08-2008, 03:33 PM
Launching!

Is a seperate tune needed for open and closed cutout on a FI car?
Old 04-08-2008, 03:36 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the comments guys!!

Originally Posted by 02EBZO6
Wow nice! I was surprised to see your post, had no idea you were in the process of doin that install. I'm in the middle of a similar build, BUUTT I had to rebuild the bottomend in the process!

How does that converter like the boost? Does it stay tight or flash up pretty high when it comes on? The numbers are locked numbers I presume? Let us know how it does at the track on some tire!
Ouch! Are you rebuilding the bottom end by choice or because something bad happened? I would like to have my short block last until next year at least, and from there go forged. I tried to do my current setup as safe as possible. My numbers are locked, yes.

I think it is a good converter with the boost. I was concerned it might be too big but I think it will work out well. It flashes to 3600 and then I'm gone So it stays true to what Vig rates it at.

I will definitely update with track times. That's what I really love - the racing. The dyno'ing, not so much. I didn't even want to be there, lol. Can't stand hearing hours and hours of my work being wrung out on the dyno

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Looks like decent numbers for an auto especially and really think you should be fine at 8psi with your heads dropping compression a bit. Run alc/meth for extra insurance on pump gas and really don't think you need 5psi! Its your car and ok to be conservative but seems too conservative to me. The APS is set to work fine on stock motors. And as you said likely big pain to get that wastegate out of there now. You don't need to remove the whole gate to change springs. They just go under the hat if that is any easier. But again once you get used to this level of power it would be a shame to go back down.
Yeah I think I've realized how to change the spring, but I don't think I can get just the hat off on the passenger side. For one thing I can't even see/reach 2 of the bolts, and secondly even if I could, the hat has no where to go. Don't think it's possible to maneuver it out of there...so I'm going to just bite the bullet and try taking off the whole gate. I'll let you know how it goes.

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
So curious is it really hard to take engine out the bottom in a garage with no overhead hoist. I am thinking to do it this way shortly on my car. Any tips or special tools I would need. I have some good floor jacks, low profile cherry picker and assortment of jack stands but they might not be high enough?
Just seems less chance of scratching up things by going thru the bottom.
I personally liked pulling it out the bottom better. Granted I have a lift which makes things 50x easier, but there are several people on this board who have done it by lifting the body up with a cherry picker.

I wrote a how-to when pulling the engine. It's pretty straightforward, but I thought it would be helpful to others for me to list bolt sizes, random things here and there and other obscure hints for getting it out the bottom quickly. You can check it out at http://www.keliente.com/engine.htm
Old 04-08-2008, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CBIII
Is a seperate tune needed for open and closed cutout on a FI car?
yes..but no.

on the dyno more than likely it would be tuned with the cutout open with a good A/F ratio...running with it close will just richen the A/F
Old 04-08-2008, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Saw the car this past weekend. It is a very clean kit, although I am sure it was/is cramped.

you surely have a sleeper. I didn't get to hear it at all, although when you came by John(electron blue LT1 Z28) goes hey that car has a hairdryer on it...lol

Keep us updated.......with track numbers.... Enough dyno racing, lol
Old 04-08-2008, 05:13 PM
FormerVendor

A very clean and stealth twin turbo install................congrats on a job well done.

Peter
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

i noticed you have the eboost and an a4. did you set up and run the lines for the eboost yet? If so, how did you get the fitting on the top of the pass side wg? Very nice!

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I am glad to see the K-member worked out good

Ryan
Old 04-08-2008, 06:57 PM
Adkoonerstrator

The damn APS kits are so clean looking. Making me have thoughts about a kit for my Camaro now!

Congrats on the new kit!
Old 04-08-2008, 07:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Superman09
i noticed you have the eboost and an a4. did you set up and run the lines for the eboost yet? If so, how did you get the fitting on the top of the pass side wg? Very nice!
I've got pics of that, I'll host one tomorrow. I don't remember that part being too bad...the part that is super tight is the edge of the cap, not the fitting area.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:33 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice job. I wouldn't worry about changing the wastegate springs. Granted it's not my car, but I'd run it just as it is. As long as you have a safe tune in it with the cutout open I don't see any problems.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

kickass, it looks stealthy
Old 04-09-2008, 01:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car was tuned with the cutout open. It ran fine with it closed when driving around on the street but would barely make it through a complete pull because it was so rich. I've seen people gain 70hp on a conservative set-up so alot can be had with the cutout. I'm going with two so I can hear the turbo's spool up
Old 04-09-2008, 02:03 AM
11 Second Club

Very clean install!!! I have seen an APS TT kit in person and was really impressed with the work that was put into it.

Quick Reply: My APS TT dyno results & info