Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

cold side steel or aluminum

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 05:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cold side steel or aluminum

Will steel 3 inch pipes on the cold side hurt my twin turbo kit vs aluminum pipes?I will be running a alky kit no coolers, pump gas street car.I can do steel pipes myself not aluminum(yet)Thanks again 4 your input.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:09 PM
Launching!

i am using some 2 1/2" steel and some alum.. if you can weld steel i would go with steel.

The main diffrence it tha price alum will cost 3x as much as the steel..

also alum is a bit of a pita to weld.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:45 PM
9 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

You're not running an inter cooler on a twin set up, did I get that right? If I'm right, then Id say aluminum to help disperse the heat better. How about a little more info on the setup?

Sean
Old 04-23-2008, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

A bit of info on the build!It is a 1966 back halfed vette with 2 Precision turbos,60#motron injectors,Lonnies dual pumps in the tank with a hobbs switch on the second pump controlled by boost,big reg,-8 feed-6 return,big billet rails, 2004 LS1 motor,with z06 yellow springs,(10,000 miles) out of a gto the trans is a built 4l80e,harness is a stock one modded by Wait4me the car also has Hot Rod AC/Heat.There isnt any room for a cooler up front cause the hood when opened tilts pretty deep in front of the rad/condensor.I did buy 2 procharger coolers but cant get them to fit(still 4 sale)so I will run a alky kit.I hope to make 550 ish RWHP and over the winter I want to add some good parts and have 800 on pump gas.So 2.5 out of the cold side to the t body(steel)?I will be running them through the wheel wells so they wont get heat soked from the motor.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:15 AM
FormerVendor

Steel or aluminum. It doesn't matter much. It just depends on if you can tig aluminum or weld steel and how much you want to spend on the piping.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I am running steel from the turbo to the intercooler (rear mount setup) just cus its alot cheaper and I have a welder and a pipe bender but alum from the I/C to the TB. Ohh and steel is alot heaver if weight is an issue
Old 06-01-2014, 10:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

old thread. but im thinking making my cold side w stainless. I got so many odds n ends of stainless tube from other projects.
since it will heat soak more than aluminum wonder if it kill some hp compared to aluminum. traditionally ive always used aluminum for cold side. but since got a bunch of the ss laying around. save a few bux on a cold side
Old 06-02-2014, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

some say aluminum disapates heat. i say it sucks in engine bay heat just as easily.

honestly i dont care. i used steel on my latest build because i have nothing to weld aluminum and steel is cheaaaap. my camaro has a steel cold side and the iat temps when sitting dont seem to get as high as my old kit with aluminum. that said the turbo is placed in the battery space not in the middle so it is sucking cooler air as well.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:55 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Only potential downside with mild steel is corrosion.

Keep a check on that, and just make the pipes from whatever is easiest for you.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like using aluminum on the cold side because it's lighter, infact my DP is aluminum as well.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used a mixture of both mainly because at the time I did not have a tig welder that could do aluminum, only stainless. It is a PITA to find bungs and BOV flanges in stainless for some things though. If I redo the set up, which I am sure I will eventually, it will more than likely be aluminum, but I have not noticed any adverse effects using the stainless.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:16 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The material isn't going to make that big of a difference in terms of the IAT. Your car - at full throttle, where you actually care about IAT, is not leaving that air in that pipe long enough for the pipe to have any real effect on the temperature of the air. That air is 250+ at almost any boost level at the compressor exit - so - yes aluminum is more conductive, yes it will effect the air temp some - no it won't be a difference you will notice without a lot of datalogging efforts.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you were using water/meth the difference likely would be negated. I was going to use steel for my cold side, but for the cost of the ebay A2A WITH universal piping it would have ended up being more expensive to get steel stock and build it.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yea. I've got a lotof material laying around. Most to make a cold and hot side.
Im gonna replicate the old incon cold side.
Spraying water and meth pre compressor on my build. So i think it will help combat some of the heat when wot. For normal street driving. I think the iat may be slightly more elevated than normal. But not enuff to cause damage or anything
Old 06-03-2014, 03:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Exactly, normal driving condition it won't play a factor. I am planning on running a velocity stack and welding a small bracket on it to spray my meth pre-compressor. Then one halfway post intercooler between tb and then another right before it.

Quick Reply: cold side steel or aluminum