Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Should I key the crank for a turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 04:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Should I key the crank for a turbo?

I know the supercharger guys key theirs but is it necessary on a turbo? I have ati damper and it's off the car right now. I'm having a bit of trouble getting it on with the key way in....are there any tricks?
Old 04-21-2008, 05:19 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would do it, I have seen a couple higher HP turbo cars loosen up the balancer, plus if you even have to use a timing mark a key is a nice thing to have.

There should be no issues with a keyed balancer installing it unless the key isnt the right size. Should be no tricks involved, put the key in, make sre the balancer is over it and and install it. ATI dampers can be pretty tight, I made a ball bearing install tool to push it on..
Old 04-21-2008, 10:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a crank that comes with a keyway already in it and it was pretty tight getting it on, but it did go. I'd run it if you can.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:01 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried heating the ATI hub up a bit in very hot water before installing it( of course you should wipe it off real quick before installing it )? The direction for my C5 ATI damper said to do it and it help out a lot. If the crank is keyed, there is no point in not installing the key. A key is much, much, much more better than a pin.

Keith