Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

sts turbo problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 10:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default sts turbo problems

Hey guy's need help. I have the sts set up on my camaro, but my turbo keeps blowing the seals in it. What I have done to the motor is lq9 heads,ls6 intake, gt7 cam, two 255 pumps, 60 pound injectors and slp oil pump and timing chain. The car at idle has 50psi of oil press. I would like to know if this is too much oil pressure for the tubo. This is my second turbo I put on my car the current turbo is a t76 the seals just blow. I need to find out why if anybody can hlep. I talked to one guy and he said that my return oil pump might be bad. I looked at the return line when the car was running and oil was being returned so now I am lost. help please!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-28-2008, 11:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might need to install a restictor in the oil line leading to the turbo. i know that is what alot of front mount guys have to do.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:42 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by smoke20
You might need to install a restictor in the oil line leading to the turbo. i know that is what alot of front mount guys have to do.

Thats what I did on my STS kit and I also turned my oilpump on high all the time.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:47 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I agree. The high volume SLP engine pump you have installed is probably pushing more oil than the return pump can scavange. A restrictor on the inlet feed of the turbine should solve this prob. Good luck.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Schanin, what size restictor did you go with on your set up????
Old 04-28-2008, 11:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Schanin, what size restictor did you go with on your set up????
I have the origonal supplied one from STS. I still have a stock oil pump (shortblock is still stock.....for now )
Old 04-28-2008, 01:04 PM

so what size restricor and return pump would you need to make everything run efficiently on a built motor for higher power applications? someone was saying that they were using nitrous jets as restrictors?
Old 04-28-2008, 01:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by rorric
Hey guy's need help. I have the sts set up on my camaro, but my turbo keeps blowing the seals in it. What I have done to the motor is lq9 heads,ls6 intake, gt7 cam, two 255 pumps, 60 pound injectors and slp oil pump and timing chain. The car at idle has 50psi of oil press. I would like to know if this is too much oil pressure for the tubo. This is my second turbo I put on my car the current turbo is a t76 the seals just blow. I need to find out why if anybody can hlep. I talked to one guy and he said that my return oil pump might be bad. I looked at the return line when the car was running and oil was being returned so now I am lost. help please!!!!!!!!!!!

Just wondering, but why do you say you are blowing seals..? Are you havinng oil coming ot of the exhaust pipe.? If so, there are a couple of things to check first. The orientation of the turbo, the way the oil drain line is routed. But no, 50lbs oil pressure on the motor isn't too high. And yes a restrictor can and will solve your problem if everything else checks out. Also, cut the brass resistor out of the STS oil pump switch, this will make the STS oil pump run on high at all times. Don't worry, that won't hurt anything.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:42 PM
TECH Resident

to clear things up also, a turbo doesn't have "seals" by definition of the word. if it fills with oil it has to come out somewhere...chances are you are getting to much oil to it and not getting it away from it
Old 04-28-2008, 07:12 PM
On The Tree

Default sts turbo

Thanks guys I will check this out and get back to you!!!
Old 04-28-2008, 07:16 PM
TECH Resident

how do you like the gt7 cam??

Quick Reply: sts turbo problems