Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Questions about standing the radiator up

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 10:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Questions about standing the radiator up

I searched and looked in the truck manifold sticky but still I wanted to ask around. I plan on keeping the A/C and mounting my turbo up close to where the battery used to be. What options do I have? I'd like to think if I mount my turbo up there I could keep the stock fans, will this work? is there anything that can be done to the stock radiator (I have an LT1 radiator BTW) and condensor to make more room up there?

If I did go with the Griffin would the condensor still fit and does it help or hurt you, cooling wise, standing the radiator straight up?
Old 05-05-2008, 10:50 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would say pm reject. He is keeping ac, and was going to put turbo by battery i think. But i think he ended up putting it infront of motor for some reason.

Im sure he will chime in hear soon enough.

Chris
Old 05-06-2008, 09:25 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sideways240sx
i would say pm reject. He is keeping ac, and was going to put turbo by battery i think. But i think he ended up putting it infront of motor for some reason.

Im sure he will chime in hear soon enough.

Chris
Thanks, I need all the help/input I can get.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:13 AM
Turbo Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cut the top of the lower support and the bottom of the upper and the condenser went right in and is as far forward as possible without getting into modifying the hood latch and front end brackets. Then of course the griffin is in there right behind...it's only ~.5" shorter than the condensor. I haven't raced the car yet but idling for 15 minutes and easy drives up the street (bad trans) the spal pushers I have on there would come on high for a min or so then cut right back off with a 160 stat in it...this is cooler than the car has ever run.
With all of that said, stock fans are very hard to beat...I think like 3200-3400cfm so if you can keep them then do it.
The problem with the turbo up top there is that the evap canister makes it a tight squeeze but there are kits out there that are running it this way and still have a/c and stock rad/cond in stock configuration...it was just a little too close for my comfort...but my next kit will have the turbo there now that I have alot more room.
A couple other things i did to help are clean out all of the fins on the condensor and if using pusher fans, seal up between the rad and cond to force the air through the radiator.
Scroll down for two pictures...The frontend is now put back together completely so I will snap some more pictures.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=695288&page=4
Old 05-07-2008, 11:25 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by RICE ETR
I cut the top of the lower support and the bottom of the upper and the condenser went right in and is as far forward as possible without getting into modifying the hood latch and front end brackets. Then of course the griffin is in there right behind...it's only ~.5" shorter than the condensor. I haven't raced the car yet but idling for 15 minutes and easy drives up the street (bad trans) the spal pushers I have on there would come on high for a min or so then cut right back off with a 160 stat in it...this is cooler than the car has ever run.
With all of that said, stock fans are very hard to beat...I think like 3200-3400cfm so if you can keep them then do it.
The problem with the turbo up top there is that the evap canister makes it a tight squeeze but there are kits out there that are running it this way and still have a/c and stock rad/cond in stock configuration...it was just a little too close for my comfort...but my next kit will have the turbo there now that I have alot more room.
A couple other things i did to help are clean out all of the fins on the condensor and if using pusher fans, seal up between the rad and cond to force the air through the radiator.
Scroll down for two pictures...The frontend is now put back together completely so I will snap some more pictures.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=695288&page=4
Wow, thank you for the valuable info. I have a little folder of pics of F/I setups and radiator supports, I'll add these to them and when you get the others please post them up. I really appreciate it!
Old 05-07-2008, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The down pipe will be the problem with the stock fans. A large turbo with 4" down pipe will be a tight fit. If you change to some after market fans it can be done.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:40 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Firechikn
The down pipe will be the problem with the stock fans. A large turbo with 4" down pipe will be a tight fit. If you change to some after market fans it can be done.
Thanks. What size & flange type is the turbo in the pic? My turbo is a small frame 76 so its pretty tiny but I do wanna build the setup to be able to handle a mid frame later on in the game.

Also where is the Dryer/accumulator? I see the condensor but no dryer.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

S91 t6 with a 5 to 4" down pipe. A small frame 76 with a 3-3.5" dp would be alot easier to package for sure. The accumulator gets relocated to the bumper. That's the whole fun, you do one thing and have to change 3 other things as result of.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:11 PM
10 Second Club

S91 t6 with a 5 to 4" down pipe. A small frame 76 with a 3-3.5" dp would be alot easier to package for sure. The accumulator gets relocated to the bumper. That's the whole fun, you do one thing and have to change 3 other things as result of.

Wow thats a big "turbacharger" I do plan on running a 4" DP though since later on I hope to outgrow the 76.

Also meant to ask you guys if I have the right radiator in mind, is this the right one?
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 05-07-2008, 01:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks like it.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:51 PM
10 Second Club

Looks like it.
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Questions about standing the radiator up