Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Restrictor Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Restrictor Question

Alright. I'm running an STS setup with a TC76 from Forced Inductions (brought the TC78 out 3 months too late). I've got a high flow/pressure pump which gives me 50-60 psi at idle and pegs the in dash oil pressure gauge at WOT, or atleast really close to it.

Problem is i'm getting oil out my exhaust, and its getting all over the back of the car. I've went down to a .072 restrictor and its still doing it. Oil return has been relocated directly into the valve cover and it has a oil cap breather on that same cover. The oil pump is wired to run high all the time.

Today i drove it to work and didn't even get into boost and just drove it as easy as i could and still oil all over the bumper.

So my question is what size restrictors are the rest of you running? What would be the smallest you'd go? Any specific to an STS? Dr. Turbo, any ideas?

The only other possibility i can think of is that the check valve is bad and is letting oil seep into the turbo when the car is off and then gets oil all over when i drive it again.

Thanks guys.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

easy way to check the valve is disconnect from the turbo and let hang into a bucket check in the morning if oil i present you need a new check valve. STS sells them for cheap , i have an extra just in case.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:35 PM
On The Tree

I'm gonna check the valve just incase, but I'm tending to think i need a smaller restrictor.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

Alright, i still haven't checked the check valve, but i went down to a .041 restrictor and it was looking like it was working for a while but nope, oil on the back of the car again and the tail pipe is wet, it had started to dry out. I'm still going to have to check the check valve but still, after driving the car for about 30 minutes id think i would have gotten all the oil out.

Maybe the seals are bad in the turbo?

Any help would be great guys. Has anyone went smaller than an .041 with an STS before?
Old 05-24-2008, 09:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

R u on the stock pump for the sts? IF so check and make sure the pump is not filling up with oil. The funnny thing is the dm thing will still work but not return oil fast enough and you will have oil everywhere. If your on an atermarket oil pump for your motor the pump wont handel it 60 -70 psi is allot for that pump. Been down that road and got a mocal.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

Yeh, stock pump wired to run on high all the time, barely any miles on the thing <5000. Maybe it is that damn thing...

I've got a high flow/pressure pump for the motor pump.

Edit: Which MoCal pump are you running?

Last edited by MonochromeSS; 05-24-2008 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:26 PM
TECH Addict

I cant find the paper I will try to figure it out.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:57 PM
TECH Addict

Mocal Remote Pump Its Black With Mocal Written On It.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:14 AM
On The Tree

Is it the one with the black cooling fins? or without?
Old 05-27-2008, 05:12 PM
TECH Addict

with out. its alittle loud on start up but it works i need a new check valve.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

For the record (and anyone that actually finds this thread using search), it was the check valve. Still will probably go with the Mocal pump sometime down the road though.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:33 PM
TECH Addict

Glad you got it figured out!
Old 06-18-2008, 07:52 PM
TECH Resident

i used a mocal on my first ever custom rear mount, man i disconnected the return to see if it was returning fast enough....Well the dam mocal pump was "playing" with the oil it was receiving from the motor. It would drain SO FAST that it wouldnt even let the oil drip on the return line lol (i dumped the return into a small bucket one time to check the oiling system and let it drain until it filled up pretty good while the mocal pump was still running and the second i submerged the return line into the bucket the mocal pump must have taken 2 seconds to send all that stuff all the way to the front of the car into the oil pan. Its a serious pump i just wish i would have run it at half speed or something for that reason. Also yes its considerably loud (sounds like a realll loud fuel pump) but honestly it gets the job done enough for 4 sts powered cars lol seriously tho
Old 06-18-2008, 07:54 PM
TECH Resident

the check valve i got was inline right before the turbo and was rated at 1psi so as soon as i shut the car off the valve would close thus closing any oil from potentially pooling up in the turbo. The oil all over the back bumper happened to me quite a bit but that was before i installed the valve. It and everything else worked extremely great until i cracked #7 piston ringland =) haha

Quick Reply: Restrictor Question