Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Cars pissing me off...btw need info on installing Mocal pump?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 07:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Default Cars pissing me off...btw need info on installing Mocal pump?

Drivin back from the Super Chevy Show all dumb and happy last night. Still 40 miles from home. See some smoke out the rear of the car. Pull into a parking lot.....lots and lots of white smoke came out the exhaust. Thankfully it did this in front of a buffalo wings place.....so it was officially dinner time

Anyhow, for whatever reason the turbo dumped a lot of oil past the turbine sealing rings. (enought to make a smoke cloud 2x bigger than the car + drip a puddle a foot in diameter after). Checked the engine and turbo separate by disconnecting the rear intake pipe from the engine. Everything looked fine I removed the STS resistor before driving home so the pump would run at high speed and scavange more oil...(seemed to help a bit.) Car still smells like burning crude oil from the exhaust. Isn't visibily leaking or smoking, but if I can still smell it (driven 50 miles now), it's probably still be leaking past the turbine rings. Looked under the car today too....all looked good. Car makes boost and pulls good. I scanned the car on the drive home after this incident and again today....everything was good.

So.....not really sure WTF happened, but I don't want it to happen again! Doing the Hot Rod Power Tour in 3 weeks. Don't want to be on the side of the road. Thinking the oil pump might be too weak/ going out? It's the stock STS pump and it's 3 years old now. Thinking of swapping it for a Mocal pump this next week. Anyone who's installed one....have pics for how you wired it? Can I hook it into the STS harness? Also input on a good replacement restrictor for the oil feed line would be helpful. Not sure what size came with the STS, but it doesnt seem to be doing a good job either! Car pushes 45-60PSI oil pressure depending on driving RPM. Thinking the GT-67 doesn't need much over 30PSI.....

Input or conspiracy theories appreciated.

BTW, also found 4x exhaust leaks looking for the source of my oil problem.....need to get those fixed too
Old 05-18-2008, 07:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

at least u found some exhaust leaks. dont be scared of restrictors my cuousins car we kept going smaller and smaller till the oil stoped smoking at long WOT runs. we ended up with like a .040 hole. been alomost a year and the used turbo to start with is still spinning.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:13 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BigJls1
at least u found some exhaust leaks. dont be scared of restrictors my cuousins car we kept going smaller and smaller till the oil stoped smoking at long WOT runs. we ended up with like a .040 hole. been alomost a year and the used turbo to start with is still spinning.
Appreciate the restrictor info

Still would like to know the size of the stock restrictor installed by STS. Also, can a Mocal pump be wired into the STS wiring that ran the origonal pump?

Any more input appreciated.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just FYI, I installed a Mocal last year about this time, put maybe 5k miles on the car, and the SOAB started leaking last week. Diaphram in the pump was shot and leaking into the electric motor, had to pay $50 for a rebuild kit after only a year.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:33 PM
Launching!

this pump is probally your best bet:

http://www.enginegearonline.com/gepu12or24vo.html

dont see why it wont wire right in to the sts 12v pump as this is a 12v pump.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:12 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BigJls1
this pump is probally your best bet:

http://www.enginegearonline.com/gepu12or24vo.html

dont see why it wont wire right in to the sts 12v pump as this is a 12v pump.

Thank you for the link. It looks exactly like the STS pump though.....
Old 05-19-2008, 08:25 PM
10 Second Club

i dont think the sts comes with any restrictor, there is only the check valve. did you check that to see if it's bad? if you need a restrictor, ebay has a pretty decent one

also, i once had two major exhaust leaks at both header collectors, and on one WOT run oil blew past both seals in the turbo, blowing oil out of the exhaust and up the intake, similar to how yours did. the exhaust leaks could have caused your oil problem as well.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:44 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RooRnZ28
i dont think the sts comes with any restrictor, there is only the check valve. did you check that to see if it's bad? if you need a restrictor, ebay has a pretty decent one

also, i once had two major exhaust leaks at both header collectors, and on one WOT run oil blew past both seals in the turbo, blowing oil out of the exhaust and up the intake, similar to how yours did. the exhaust leaks could have caused your oil problem as well.
Interesting thing for me to check. Not sure how an exhaust leak would affect the seal, but I'm going to fix it either way, so I'll post up if that made a difference.(car's currently in the body shop getting a new roof installed for the SB concerning "bubbling") I'll have to check the oil feed line for the restrictor too. The check valve isn't bad (it would fill w/ oil when the car is static, which it's not doing) If there's no restrictor.....well that would be a big-assed problem

Thanks for the input

Quick Reply: Cars pissing me off...btw need info on installing Mocal pump?