Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Intercooler Question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 05:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Intercooler Question?

I have an sts kit with no intercooler and running 6psi with a 2 bar SD tune. My question is how much more of a power increase can I expect to see with a cooler charge. Reason being when I hit it, boost hits and the car pulls hard at first (around 4psi) then when the boost rises from 4psi to 6psi it feels like it does not keep increasing in aceleration. Is this because the computer is starting to pull timing out due to increasing AIT's? I have plenty of fuel as evedent by my wideband. Only at 11 to 1 AFR. I plan on buying an intercooler asap, but want to make sure that is what the problem is and hopefully nothing else. Any input or dyno comparison would be helpful.
THANKS.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Silver_TransAm
I have an sts kit with no intercooler and running 6psi with a 2 bar SD tune. My question is how much more of a power increase can I expect to see with a cooler charge. Reason being when I hit it, boost hits and the car pulls hard at first (around 4psi) then when the boost rises from 4psi to 6psi it feels like it does not keep increasing in aceleration. Is this because the computer is starting to pull timing out due to increasing AIT's? I have plenty of fuel as evedent by my wideband. Only at 11 to 1 AFR. I plan on buying an intercooler asap, but want to make sure that is what the problem is and hopefully nothing else. Any input or dyno comparison would be helpful.
THANKS.

You are probably correct on all accounts. I logged my STS in Hawaii before and adding a FMIC. Street driving before FMIC = IAT's 135-155* @80* outside temp. After FMIC = IAT's 95-100* @80* outside temp. This is a HUGE difference in intake temp (and thus the DENSITY of air going into the engine.) In short STS is full of $hit stating that you don't need an intercooler, period.

The PCM stock pulls timing with IAT's over about 100*. Most tuners will adjust that to 106-110*, but usually not much higher. The power loss you feel is most likely the PCM pulling timing for the high IAT's. It will pull from 1-5 degrees depending on how high the IAT gets. A FMIC will correct this and give you noticably more power

BTW, my testing was pnly at 5PSI.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have just got my intercooler in but waiting on piping to come in to finish it up.from my research an intercooler will basically free up a couple of degrees of timing and seeing the norm is 25hp per degree increase...should be a noticable difference.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you still have the stock valve springs?
Old 05-20-2008, 09:13 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by dredoggy
do you still have the stock valve springs?
Interesting question. Saw the aftermarket cam and made the assumption of aftermarket springs. Yep, if you have stock springs, they could definetly float in the high RPM range and kill your power.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:30 AM
11 Second Club

Yes I have hipo valve springs got the whole cam kit. Also I am running a ls6 high volume oil pump and oil is coming out the turbo when I start it. I have the sts oil check valve but do I need a restrictor as well?
Old 05-21-2008, 09:47 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Silver_TransAm
Yes I have hipo valve springs got the whole cam kit. Also I am running a ls6 high volume oil pump and oil is coming out the turbo when I start it. I have the sts oil check valve but do I need a restrictor as well?
This should answer your questions: https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/924075-had-problem-sts-kit-today-drive.html
Old 06-03-2008, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get a front mount you will notice the diff. does your car run better at night when its cooler out?
Old 06-04-2008, 06:09 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

A methanol injection kit would also make a big difference. Bob

Quick Reply: Intercooler Question?