Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Countdown has begun :)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 07:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

Default Countdown has begun :)

The guy dropped off my car with the LT1 longblock installed. I'm out there hooking up driveshaft, torque arm, wires, turbo, intercooler, fuel injectors, TB, etc. I have to get this thing up and running cuz I'm driving it from Upstate New York to Houston either Friday or Sat on a virgin Turbo Motor.
Pic's coming!!!

A toothy grin before I get started on the tasks at hand...

Filthy ABS Block in place...

Now gone ...

The intake before the 60# Mototrons go on ...

Mototrons installed...

Fuel Rails on...

I was flat amazed how clean Jim was able to get the interior of my 93,000 mile intake ...

Trial fitting the intercooler ...

Last edited by mightyquickz28; 05-21-2008 at 05:17 PM.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks done to me.. Crank it up and come on down!

David
Old 05-21-2008, 07:28 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Race car
Old 05-21-2008, 08:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lookin' great so far Dave !! Can't wait to check it out when you're back here
Old 05-21-2008, 08:06 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks Brian! Kevin's dropping by tomorrow with the bumper cover. We'll put that on and then it's off to the many 'details'. I hope to fire her up tomorrow. I found some silicone tubing today along with an autometer boost gauge.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:12 PM
TECH Addict

Latest additions to the effort...
Boost gauge and Silicone tubing (4mm, 6mm and 10mm) kit

Turbo inlet elbow...

Old 05-21-2008, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

DAMN Dave!!! Good luck with it all! Makes me want to convert to an LT1 Turbo! Can't wait to see some video of it fired up!
Old 05-26-2008, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

More Pic's...
The Intercooler in place

I had to replace the LTCC kit with a new once since I let the prior one go when I sold the '94 Z28. I reused my 'Russel' over the valve cover plug wire looms to get some quick brackets going since I was pressed for time...

The Turbo in place, showing the -10AN line nipples. Danged close, no?

My kit had 3 ft of -10 an line. I think I used all of an inch and a half...

More pics coming.. my flight is leaving now and I'm mid point flying back to Houston..I'm in the airport typing this..
Old 05-26-2008, 03:52 PM
TECH Addict

Well, after struggling to meet a deadline (I live in New York where the car is located but work in Houston) I had to leave before being able to sort it out.
The intercooler took about 4 or 5 trial fits before settling in the perfect spot. Then I went about installing the piping from the kit I bought off the internet. I ran out of couplers before the job was done and I've decided something. That being, I feel certain Satan invented "T-Bolt" clamps or at least had a hand in designing these. I usually limit my cussing to sporadic utterances. This was more like a cussing "firefight". I'm sure my neighbor thinks I'm deranged, what with me laying under the car, no one else around and my 'colorful' language. I got EVERYTHING hooked up. For the moment, I can't think of a better way for locating the air filter. I'd like it to be higher up. Right now, it's a shorty pointing straight down. For the initial startup, I left the tube off from the discharge going into the throttle body, just incase any junk was in the Intercooler, etc. Well, with everything checked and rechecked, I said a prayer, then turned the key. She fired off right away. No extended cranking whatsoever. Per my engine builder instructions, I set the idle at 2,000 RPM and got under the car looking for fluid leaks, mechanical issues, burning wires, etc. All good! I put my hand in front of the open discharge tube just to feel if it had any output. It was blowing about as hard as when you blow hard into your hands at the 1,900 indicated RPM. I had my LT1 Edit scanner hooked up and right away I noticed that the Left O2 was about 178 and lower while the right O2 was normal. As a result, the Pulse Widths differed. It didn't matter if it was in closed loop or open loop, it was the same. After about 30 minutes, good oil pressure, temps at 235 at the highest, I shut her off and let her cool down. I checked the connections on the O2 sensors and every thing was hooked up and tight. I took her off the jack stands, hooked up the discharge tube and decided to drive it over to the local gas station (about 3 miles away) and put some fresh gas since the car had been sitting with the old gas since 11/2007. Right off the bat, it started backfiring sporadically. Like a lean misfire. At this point, unlike the earlier startup, it was backfiring occasionally even at idle. I opened the hood after getting the gas and looked at the vacuum hookups. I saw the PCV, midpoint drivers side intake manifold, had lost it's tubing connection. I hooked it back up, thinking "problem solved", but it was still missing, just less conspicuously. Up till this point, I was still thinking I could drive it back to Houston but I had to be at work today so I booked a last minute flight. I didn't have time to swap the O2 Sensors to see if the problem followed the swap, indicating a truly bad O2 sensor(They have only been on the old engine about a year and not even been used since 11/2007). The other things I can think of are, another vacuum leak, a bad injector, exhaust manifold leak, PCM Tune off somewhat or a misadjusted valve. At this point and time, I'm either going to have a bud of mine(Extreme Automotive in Rennselaer) look at it in New York, ship the car via transport to Houston, or fix it myself next trip home (4 weeks from now). The engine, Turbo and Intercooler all were seemingly perfect.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:14 PM
TECH Veteran

wow looking good so far..gotta post some vids when your done with the install
Old 05-26-2008, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd like to see/hear it crank up! Track and burnout videos I'm sure will follow.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:05 AM
Staging Lane

I commend you for having the self-control to make the smart choice of not rushing it at this point.. I don't think I could have been that strong and probably would have paid for it somewhere down the road.

Looking very good and no trademarked LT1>LS1 anywhere.. heh
Old 05-27-2008, 04:43 PM
TECH Addict

Well, the car is on it's way here to Houston. Should be here as early as 5 to 7 days from today. Then I can sort out whatever is going on with the lean condition.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:10 AM
TECH Addict

Grrrr... Originally, it was to be here this past Sat/Sunday. Then they said today. Now they say Wednesday. It's driving me nuts!!!

Quick Reply: Countdown has begun :)