Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Open vs Closed bypass...whats the difference?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 11:18 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Open vs Closed bypass...whats the difference?

I was looking at the Procharger bypass from EPP. Right now I have a new int he box Vortech race bypass that I would have to fab an adapter plate for if I want to use it....so I was going to pick up a PC bypass that will bolt right to the EPP FMIC tubing.

My question is...whats the difference between the open and closed versions? I'm a n00b, go easy.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These are not terms commonly used for bypass valves but I believe an 'open' one would refer to a bypass that dumped into the open air, as opposed to a 'closed' one that dumps back into the system. If you use a MAF and a bypass, you must use a 'closed' one that dump back prior to the MAF, otherewise your air metering will be off.

Jim
Old 05-21-2008, 12:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DeltaT
If you use a MAF and a bypass, you must use a 'closed' one that dump back prior to the MAF, otherewise your air metering will be off.

Jim
How so? All the set ups I've seen have the bypass place before the maf. Since it is before the maf how would that cause any issues at all with metered air?
Old 05-21-2008, 01:06 PM
TECH Addict

It depends where everything is placed. If its metered than dumped to atmosphere with a maf than ya, thats a no no. With SD it doesn't matter regards obviously which most people should be doing anyways.

With a maf you can dump it to atmosphere but it must be before the maf see's it and not after. If thats the case than you need to recir it back before the maf.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Websy21
It depends where everything is placed. If its metered than dumped to atmosphere with a maf than ya, thats a no no. With SD it doesn't matter regards obviously which most people should be doing anyways.

With a maf you can dump it to atmosphere but it must be before the maf see's it and not after. If thats the case than you need to recir it back before the maf.
Has anyone here seen a setup where the bypass is after the maf? If so then why would you put it there? When you recirc it goes right back into the hat right? Whats the difference between the procharger getting air from outside or getting it from the bypass?
Old 05-21-2008, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GMLIFER
Has anyone here seen a setup where the bypass is after the maf? If so then why would you put it there? When you recirc it goes right back into the hat right? Whats the difference between the procharger getting air from outside or getting it from the bypass?
I am not too familiar with the s/c setups as I have always been a turbo guy which in most cases calls for custom work. As s/c kits are more or less bolt on unless you are going extreme and also need custom/fab work than ya the s/c kits would be made to either recir it or blow it off to the atmosphere I'd assume. It would obvioiusly have to be before the maf than. Again not too sure about the s/c setups but thats the general idea behind the recir/bypass whether its a turbo or s/c. As long as its not blown to atmosphere after the maf than its ok, again, unless its tuned SD. Which I reccommend
Old 05-21-2008, 01:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

My old setup was draw through so the maf was on the intake side of the blower and the car would not even run if you had a big leak between the blower and tb. I now have a blow through setup and I run the Procharger race bypass and vent to atmosphere. Just put the bypass between the head unit and the intercooler. I hope you like loud cuz to say its loud is an understatement!
Old 05-21-2008, 02:12 PM
Staging Lane

My bypass is just after the intercooler a couple feet before the maf and its vented to the atmosphere with no problems. My maf is just before the tb btw.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:30 PM
12 Second Club

ahhh, i see. thanks for the clarification.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Websy21
I am not too familiar with the s/c setups as I have always been a turbo guy which in most cases calls for custom work. As s/c kits are more or less bolt on unless you are going extreme and also need custom/fab work than ya the s/c kits would be made to either recir it or blow it off to the atmosphere I'd assume. It would obvioiusly have to be before the maf than. Again not too sure about the s/c setups but thats the general idea behind the recir/bypass whether its a turbo or s/c. As long as its not blown to atmosphere after the maf than its ok, again, unless its tuned SD. Which I reccommend
So what if it is dumped to the air after the maf? Its not going to hurt anything is it? dont the import guys do that and thats why they pop the huge *** flames out the back? Just curious
Old 05-21-2008, 03:02 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No matter what kind of BPV you have ('open' or 'closed') it needs to be BEFORE the MAF. The MAF meters the amount of air coming into the intake manifold and uses that measurement to adjust the fuel accordingly. If you place the BPV after the MAF you will actually have less air than what the computer thinks you have, and it will be adding too much fuel for the amount of air you actually have.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:46 PM
TECH Addict

Technically, a bypass that is after the MAF and dumps back into the system also after the MAF would work fine - the amount of air after the MAF doesn't change whether it's bypassing or not.

Jim
Old 05-21-2008, 10:58 PM
12 Second Club

Technically, a bypass that is after the MAF and dumps back into the system also after the MAF would work fine - the amount of air after the MAF doesn't change whether it's bypassing or not.

Jim
Why have a BPV at all if it's this setup? What is being bypassed? Seems to me that it does nothing to reduce the boost pressure going into the intake. Once the throttle blades close the pressure has to go somewhere, right back to the intake tube after the maf does not sound like the right place to me.

???
Old 05-21-2008, 11:09 PM
TECH Addict

All you need to do to prevent the blower from surging is to vent the pressure side back to the inlet side. If the MAF is before the blower, and the bypass return is after the MAF, you'll be golden.

This may not be a common F-bod setup, but you see it out there frequently on other cars.

Jim
Old 05-22-2008, 07:51 AM
12 Second Club

All you need to do to prevent the blower from surging is to vent the pressure side back to the inlet side. If the MAF is before the blower, and the bypass return is after the MAF, you'll be golden.

This may not be a common F-bod setup, but you see it out there frequently on other cars.

Jim
Right, that's the setup I was thinking it would have to be to work correctly.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Jim
Thats how the old Procharger setup was (for lt1's anyways)
Old 05-22-2008, 10:57 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by allthrotle
So what if it is dumped to the air after the maf? Its not going to hurt anything is it? dont the import guys do that and thats why they pop the huge *** flames out the back? Just curious
Again this is ok if you are running a SD tune as the map sensor is picking it up and the maf isn't in fucntion anymore, even if you leave it inline. (With it disconnected of course)

With a maf like explained, the ecu would think there is more air going in than there actually is so you will be rich and the maps off.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:51 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jim
I also see a lot of other cars putting triple decker wings on them. Doesn't make them right The MAF is very simple. It measures the amount of air to adjust how much fuel to supply. If more air goes thru the MAF than actually goes into the engine, your tune will be out of whak.

Quick Reply: Open vs Closed bypass...whats the difference?