Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Maf Location

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maf Location

HERE'S A QUESTION I HAVENT SEEN AN ANSWER TO,...IS THERE ANY CHANCE THE MAF BEFORE THE INTERCOOLER WOULD HAVE ANY NEGATIVE SIDE EFFECTS?
I KNOW SYSTEM IS ASSEMBLED AS FOLLOWS: TURBO-BOV-MAF-TB/INTAKE....I ASK THIS BECAUSE I HAVE IT BEFORE MY INTERCOOLER..AND WONDER IF ITS NEEDED TO BE AFTER...WOULD LIKE OTHERS 2CENTS BEFORE DYNO DAY...
-MIKE-
Old 05-25-2008, 10:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

the caps lock hurts but wouldnt it make better sence to have the MAF and IAT sensor as close to the engine to get the truest reading just as it is going into the engine?
Old 05-25-2008, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually just the other day, couple or so ago, there was a thread about this. You aren't looking hard enough and I don't feel like retyping my input on this so I MIGHT find it for ya, LOL

Took a whole minute, was on the second page. Hope this helps!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/924468-open-vs-closed-bypass-whats-difference.html
Old 05-25-2008, 10:39 PM
9 Second Club

it seems the better question would be blow through, or pull through. And most people go blow through. Alot of factory turbo cars are all pull through though.

All tuners i have talked to didn't want to try pull through.

Next as websy's post says you dont want to bov after the maf.. Because then you have air that is already metered and supposed to be going in the motor, and it gets dumped to atmosphere, or recirc if you do a recirc bov. I have my maf inches from tb.. Closest/truest reading. Soon it will be sd, and no more maf bs.

Chris
Old 05-25-2008, 10:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sideways240sx
it seems the better question would be blow through, or pull through. And most people go blow through. Alot of factory turbo cars are all pull through though.

All tuners i have talked to didn't want to try pull through.

Next as websy's post says you dont want to bov after the maf.. Because then you have air that is already metered and supposed to be going in the motor, and it gets dumped to atmosphere, or recirc if you do a recirc bov. I have my maf inches from tb.. Closest/truest reading. Soon it will be sd, and no more maf bs.

Chris
Going SD here to, hopefully within a week or so it will be spinning the dyno.

BTW, did you get your car retuned after the upgraded valvetrain? I had my car ripped apart and decided what the heck, why not swap the cam so I through a 224/224 .581/.581 114
Old 05-26-2008, 07:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ROFL told you christy that SD was the way to go..... "ooooooh i like my maF!!!"
Old 05-26-2008, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Websy21
Actually just the other day, couple or so ago, there was a thread about this. You aren't looking hard enough and I don't feel like retyping my input on this so I MIGHT find it for ya, LOL

Took a whole minute, was on the second page. Hope this helps!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=924468
i failed to see any discussion on maf location & intercooler....my bov is well b4 the maf and intercooler....
my concern is this ...my maf is currently just before my I.C. as we all know or assume.. there is a pressure and temp drop across the I.C... does this affect what the maf has told the pcm prior to that very metered air intering the t.b.?
Old 05-26-2008, 09:50 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by reject
ROFL told you christy that SD was the way to go..... "ooooooh i like my maF!!!"

Never said i like it... I said it was easier and would work for me for right now, and i dont have to deal with any huge clmiate swing bs.

Websy the car has not been back on the dyno yet. The people dynoing my car moved to a shop twice as big.. but now there in the process of moving. Dyno is ripped out of the ground, and waiting to be installed. Plus now i kinda want to get a 9 inch installed before i re dyno to see how it affects spool up/ since it my load it more. Since i think i will be ordering midwest fab 9 i might be waiting a little bit.

4.10's + 500 hp + m6 and street tires is no fun at the track. I have et streets but dont want to blow up the rear.

Chris
Old 05-26-2008, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah you always want the MAF after your intercooler for two main reasons...1st you want an accurate reading of the cooler air after the intercooler,and of course best place for it is as close to tb as possible...2nd if you have any oil or anything making its way past some seals the intercooler uysually does a good job of keeping in the intercooler so you dont have it all over your MAF. just my 2 pennys
Old 05-27-2008, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lt170chevelle
yeah you always want the MAF after your intercooler for two main reasons...1st you want an accurate reading of the cooler air after the intercooler,and of course best place for it is as close to tb as possible...2nd if you have any oil or anything making its way past some seals the intercooler uysually does a good job of keeping in the intercooler so you dont have it all over your MAF. just my 2 pennys
thx for your 2cts, i should prolly move it....