Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Who's running an OFI 4" downpipe?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 01:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Who's running an OFI 4" downpipe?

Just looking for some feedback from those running the 4" OFI downpipe. What all did you have to clearance? What k member are you running? Mine isn't lining up at all. it's hitting the motor mount area and on the kmember where it mounts to the body. I can't get the steering linkage on either. I made new power steering lines to get them out of the way. Thanks for any help. Pics would be awesome also.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:21 AM
On The Tree

Did you ever get this issue fixed? I ordered the 3.5" down pipe
Old 05-30-2008, 08:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

my car has the 4" downpipe.originally had the bmr k member but downpipe was hitting the motor mount area.ended up having to go with the umi k member and it is tight but fits.relocating alt up top.Thats how the car is sitting right now,its coming along.The boys at EPP are making progress every day on it.Wish i would have known about the k member before.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:05 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98transguy
my car has the 4" downpipe.originally had the bmr k member but downpipe was hitting the motor mount area.ended up having to go with the umi k member and it is tight but fits.relocating alt up top.Thats how the car is sitting right now,its coming along.The boys at EPP are making progress every day on it.Wish i would have known about the k member before.
I called Joel and asked him about this quite a few weeks back and told him that I have the BMR K-Member as well as everything else I am doing to the car and he said my 3.5" will fit????
Old 05-30-2008, 09:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

maybe Joel shortened the position of the downpipe in the fore aft direction and therefore the downpipe might fit , plus .25" each side from the 4" pipe might be able to shoehorn that thing in there.From what i heard Joel based the 4" pipe off of using the umi k member, maybe the 3.5" was different
Old 05-30-2008, 09:30 AM
On The Tree

maybe Joel shortened the position of the downpipe in the fore aft direction and therefore the downpipe might fit , plus .25" each side from the 4" pipe might be able to shoehorn that thing in there.From what i heard Joel based the 4" pipe off of using the umi k member, maybe the 3.5" was different
Don't know? I'm hoping it works for mine considering the horror stories I'm starting to hear!
Old 05-30-2008, 02:10 PM
TECH Addict

good luck brotha... mine didn't fit either! (NOT A 4")
Old 05-30-2008, 03:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Well it's in there but I still need to do some clearancing. I had to clearance the alternator in 3 spots. Right now it's touching the steering shaft so I need to pull it back out and do some hammering. When you do the install do it in this order. Remove the alternator, install steering shaft, instal downpipe, try to install the alternator and see what all needs to be clearanced. I also changed my power steering lines to braided and moved them out of the way.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:46 PM
FormerVendor

The hot side is mocked up so far, just waiting on a few vbands , bends and a muffler for the rest of the exhaust

It fits, but its a tight one. The sway bar bracket hits the dp.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:54 PM
TECH Junkie

I should add that I have no abs or swaybar. I'm running the regular BMR k member also.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:17 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by theblur98ss
I should add that I have no abs or swaybar. I'm running the regular BMR k member also.
Seems odd, 98transguy's car had the BMR k and there was no possibility of the dp fitting, with the UMI it slides right in (still fits like a glove). The fit is because of the way the perch is for the motor mount, the umi is a twin perch from different angles vs the single from the BMR
Old 05-30-2008, 08:20 PM
Banned

I have a customers car in the shop right now with OFI's hot parts and 3.5" DP. I had Joel leave the turbo side of the DP uncut so I could fit it myself. I had to grind a pad on the alternator down for clearance. It fits but is tight to say the least. This is with a standard BMR k member also. I am also going to have to use braided stainless PS lines.

I will get some pics up tonight.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Josh @ KYTP
I have a customers car in the shop right now with OFI's hot parts and 3.5" DP. I had Joel leave the turbo side of the DP uncut so I could fit it myself. I had to grind a pad on the alternator down for clearance. It fits but is tight to say the least. This is with a standard BMR k member also. I am also going to have to use braided stainless PS lines.

I will get some pics up tonight.
Definitely keep us posted
Old 05-30-2008, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will the "Turbo" BMR k member have the same problem then? I ordered a 4" DP and am using the turbo k member. Really hope it fits. Now just if my kit would get here.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS6Nz06
Will the "Turbo" BMR k member have the same problem then? I ordered a 4" DP and am using the turbo k member. Really hope it fits. Now just if my kit would get here.

The 4" downpipe better fit with the BMR turbo k-member and the madman manual rack. I'll know in a couple of weeks hopefully. I already had to clearance my Header since it wouldn't fit with the ETP heads...
Old 05-30-2008, 10:04 PM
TECH Junkie

I don't think it will work with the manual rack. firehawk123 had some issues with the manual rack if I remember right.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:27 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Guys I hear that some are having fitment issue with the larger downpipes on the ls1 kit. I have been listening to the proplems. I have recently rebuilt all the jigs for the ls1 kit. I have built the last couple sets off of them and tried them on the 2 shells that we have at the shop. Everyone has lined up on both cars very well.

The 4" and 3.5" downpipe you will have to loose the back bracket on the alt and cut it off on some cars. You might also have to cut 1/8" off the top of the motor mount also for extra clearence. You will also have to cut one ear off the swaybar mounting bracket to clear the 4" dp.

The ETP heads is not a build issue with the kit. The heads are taller which raises the height of the headers.

The 4" dp will not fit with the madman rack bmr from what I hear. The 4" setup was made with the UMI and stock sterring rack, but will also work on the stock k-member also. This is also stated on my website.

I have never had to do anything to the power sterring line though. Which some of you have done. Where were they hitting?

Again Im sorry for the fitment issues on the 4" dp, but you will love it when its done.

Joel
Old 05-30-2008, 11:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys having trouble with BMR K-members are you running the turbo k-member or the regular one?
Old 05-31-2008, 12:00 AM
Banned

Here are the pics I have right now.

Here is the clearancing on the done on the Alt. It looks close but there is a nice air gap.

Belive me guys the clearancing issues and fitament issues are well worth the end result.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:18 AM
10 Second Club

It will not fit with the turbo K-member and madman rack, ask me how I know! The turbo K-member adds tons of room for a DP, but Joel designed them to swing up and over the steering shaft and pretty close to the header and motor mount so they would work with stock and UMI K-members. Joel can make you a DP to fit, you just have to send him all the hot parts, k-member and manual rack before he can do it, which I can't do. I am gonna make another DP from scratch myself, I may just dump mine straight out the side of the bumper since it's a track car. But, with the alt relocated, you can fit a 5" DP threw the driver side using the turbo K-member and a 4" without relocating the alt or modifying anything like the alt bracket or motor mount. In a way, I wish Joel would make the Turbo K-member mandatory for 3.5" and larger DP and re-design it as there would be little to no risk of any fitment issues and just look better IMO.

I'm not putting the kit down by any means, just think it would be nice to see the kit evolve into v.2 since this new K-member is readily available.

Off track, do any of you guys have pics of the cold side piping, on or off the car? I need to re-do mine and would like to see how your guys is built?

Dan

Quick Reply: Who's running an OFI 4" downpipe?