Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Motor advice... What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor advice... What would you do?

Ok, as the title says I just can not make up my mind...
This is going to be a 90% street driven car with maybe a few times a year at the track.

Here is what's on the car, and plan to keep:
(Might get better valve springs and MAYBE better heads)
Lightly ported 317 heads
Patriot gold dual springs
EPP FI cam
Chromoly pushrods
LT headers
ORY
Borla exhaust w/ electric cutout
8 Rib D1 procharger
EPP front mount
Textralia clutch
9" rear (not yet, but soon)

Right now its a stock bottom end ls1, so SOMETHING has to be done
Car has the ls6 block from the factory, not sure if that really comes into play at all in the decision... but i figure i would throw in in there.

Car put down 596 / 507 on only 8#'s

Here is what i have kinda narrowed it down to, but I'm open to suggestions:

Keep the block, and just forge the bottom end, and turn the boost up.
Keep the block, put a forged stroker kit (383) and turn the boost up.
Ditch the factory block, and go with an lq9 (370) and turn the boost up.

I would like to keep it around 700-750 or so to keep it somewhat manage-able on the street, and keep it somewhat reliable.
Also for that reason, i don't think a 402 / 408 is necessary, but again, I'm open to suggestions from those who have been down this road.

Help me decide!!!

Thanks...
--Mike
Old 06-03-2008, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

you can make that power on stock cubes but you'd be seeing around 12-15 PSI for it, which it frightens me to run more & more boost on a DD due to the declining curve of motor life. but to each their own. a 370/383 probably won't net you a huge difference between them & the 347. You can have a 640rwhp car keep up with a 720rwhp car if you've got the ground setup for it. then again if the 720rwhp has the ground setup then I guess it wins.

let's just start here... what are your goals?
Old 06-03-2008, 08:19 AM
Restricted User

forge your motor and raise the boost....
Old 06-03-2008, 08:31 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Option 3: Forged 370. You'll get the strength of the iron block + small enough cubes for the D1 to feed it at higher boost.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by candlelit
you can make that power on stock cubes but you'd be seeing around 12-15 PSI for it, which it frightens me to run more & more boost on a DD due to the declining curve of motor life. but to each their own. a 370/383 probably won't net you a huge difference between them & the 347. You can have a 640rwhp car keep up with a 720rwhp car if you've got the ground setup for it. then again if the 720rwhp has the ground setup then I guess it wins.

let's just start here... what are your goals?
If you are talking 1/4mile goals, i can't answer that... I have been to the track once in my life, the end of last year, when the car was stock and ran a 13.42 @ 107.

If i could get 700-750 put down somewhat reliable (more so than 600 on a stock bottom end) on a street car, that has full street suspension (strano / koni, tq arm lca, etc, etc.) than ill be happy with whatever it runs at the track.

Car is not a DD, nice weather weekend type of deal.

All input is appreciated!!!

Thanks...
--Mike
Old 06-03-2008, 10:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

I am going through the same thing, however out of necessity. I busted the ring gland on 2 pistons. My plan is to forge the bottom end, lower the compression ratio a little and turn up the boost to about 12 lbs. I saw 557 rwhp on 8 psi and hope for 625-650 on 12 lbs.

Honestly though I don't know how you are ever going to put down 700+ on the street. Sometimes at the track I had a hard time putting down 557 and that was on ETstreets at 13 psi. On the street I can blow the tires off the car.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by marlowchris
I am going through the same thing, however out of necessity. I busted the ring gland on 2 pistons. My plan is to forge the bottom end, lower the compression ratio a little and turn up the boost to about 12 lbs. I saw 557 rwhp on 8 psi and hope for 625-650 on 12 lbs.

Honestly though I don't know how you are ever going to put down 700+ on the street. Sometimes at the track I had a hard time putting down 557 and that was on ETstreets at 13 psi. On the street I can blow the tires off the car.
I am going to need to do something, i know the stock bottom won't last...
Hopefully i can get it to last till the end of summer, thats when it's going to the track.

Maybe just forging the bottom end, dropping the compression a bit, better heads and 12lbs would be the easiest way to go.

Then again, i wouldn't mind the extra torque a bigger cubed motor would bring, so I'm still open to other opinions / suggestions

Not to mention I'm the type of person that would rather spend more upfront, and have it done right the first time

Thanks...
--Mike
Old 06-03-2008, 10:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do what you really want. If you ever think you will want big cubes I would go for it now. I was in this same boat about a year ago almost the same mod list. I was seeing 11# on my boost guage with my unported heads. Mine didn't last long at all. I hadn't really planned on going with more cubes or expensive heads but I decided to build the best setup that I could afford knowing if I didn't "do it right" I would end up doing it over.

AFR heads, F1A Procharger, TSP 402

Hopefully I'll have it together withen the next couple weeks. I went WAY over any budget I ever said I had...and I would spend more if I had it
Old 06-04-2008, 05:15 AM
On The Tree

Black01M6SS, that sounds like its going to be a pretty sick setup!

But, thats kind of another reason why i don't want to go with a 402 or a 408, because i have a D1, and i know the F1 is a better blower to use with that bigger motor.

If i can find a good lq9 for a good price, ill go the 370 route. That might be the best overall thing to do...

Any others???

Thanks...
--Mike
Old 06-04-2008, 06:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

if u decide to go with the 383 route u are going to have a hard time finding a piston that wont drop your compression to around 8.5-1 unless u get a custom piston done.i would stick with stock cubes, forged rods and pistons in bottom end.if u dont have one already , pick up the the after market spring tensioner set up put on a smaller pulley and up the boost up to about 12-15lbs.EPP has gotten over 700rwhp with a 346 with a d1
Old 06-04-2008, 06:57 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 98transguy
if u decide to go with the 383 route u are going to have a hard time finding a piston that wont drop your compression to around 8.5-1 unless u get a custom piston done.i would stick with stock cubes, forged rods and pistons in bottom end.if u dont have one already , pick up the the after market spring tensioner set up put on a smaller pulley and up the boost up to about 12-15lbs.EPP has gotten over 700rwhp with a 346 with a d1
Yes Chris, the cheapest way to go would be to keep his block and crank, add good rods and pistons and some decent heads. This will allow you to spend more money on a better fuel system, which will be needed to run past 700 rwhp. Bob
Old 06-04-2008, 08:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98transguy
I went over board on fuel, knowing this was going to happen down the road, so I think i just have to get with Nate, and get the setup for the 2nd in tank pump.

I just have the stock procharger tensioner, do you have a link for the aftermarket one?

I think thats what I'm going to do, forge the bottom, set of better heads, and a new pulley to up the boost and call it a day.

Bob, I'll be getting back with you later this year, gonna have to get a new round of parts

Thanks all for the input...
--Mike
Old 06-04-2008, 08:50 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

I would order a 347 shortblock, add your valvetrains and accessories to it, then sell your stock shortblock to recoop some money, there seems to be a decent demand for complete healthy stock shortblocks atm as well.

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed

Quick Reply: Motor advice... What would you do?