Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

APS inlet drivers side hose rubbing issue???

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APS inlet drivers side hose rubbing issue???

How many of you after installing the inlet hoses on your APS notice that the drivers side inlet hose is right up against the steering arm knuckel?? I actually was thinking of globbing some white grease or anti seize on the knuckel itsself ,just to keep down on the wear itself, but thought about the petrolem breaking down the rubber in the hose, so what i ended up doing is buying a 3 1/2 "long leak proof type band clamp, Its supper thin and fits perfectly around the scweezed part of the inlet hose. The turning of the knuckle will no longer hurt or dig into this part of the drivers side inlet hose!! Im actually shocked APS didnt supplie one of these band clamps for just this reason alone ? But anyways, I figuired ide share my find with you guys Another thing I gotta mention, Im running a UMI K member and not the BMR!! Not sure about the clearances between the two ? but figuired ide mention this Thanks guys
Old 06-06-2008, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default APS hose barrier

Heres some pictures of the band clamp that i bought and installed today on the APS drivers side inlet hose! I noticed the steering arm knuckle was up against this hose and I wanted to do something for added protection and this is what i came up with. I actually have seen first handed what happenes to these type hoses when there up against somthing hard and moving . My buddys INCON TT kit was where i saw these type holes for the first time and were caused by chaffing that that had worn threw because there was no barrier between the hose and the engine block or AC comproser LOL!!Atually the corner of the compressor on the passanger side to be exact LOL!! Anyways i saw this happeneing to this hose very quickly and is why i did something now
http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/f...at/APS%20Hose/
Old 06-06-2008, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Incon Tt

LOL!!I actually was thinking these bands would be perfect for the rough spots where the INCON hoses suffer most too ,Like the corner of the AC compressor for example or on the pass side between the block and the K member too !!These band clamps fit these hose perfectly, to the exact contour of the hose its self!!being there made of thin soft aluminuin ,they mold very easy. Good luck guys, just figuired this was a cheap insurance for an exspensive hose LOL!!
Old 06-06-2008, 09:25 PM
Launching!

Thats an exhaust band clamp correct. I plan on having my cold side done tomorrow, and will make sure its not going to rub. I have a BMR k-member by the way. Thanks for posting that up, havent heard of anyone with that prob yet.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Exhaust clamp

It wasnt a problem per say yet!!LOL!!But beings the steering shaft knuckel is touching now !!!Its only going to wear on the hose as you turn the wheel and yes it is an exhaust type band clamp !!im going to put one one my other inlet passanger side hose as well , where it almost touches the corner of the AC compressor My buddys INCON TT hose has a hole in this same exact spot
Old 06-06-2008, 10:09 PM
Staging Lane

Rubbing?? Wear-through? That's ludicrous!

Old 06-06-2008, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls1greg
Rubbing?? Wear-through? That's ludicrous!

I have my APS drivers side in my hand as we speak and im 99.9% sure this picture of yours is indeed the APS drivers side LOL!!Am i right???
Old 06-06-2008, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Aps Hero Lol!!

If so, I feel like a APS Hero LOL!! I almost wasnt going to post this thinking some of you might think this was a stupid idea **** ,Anything that saves our stuff, saves us money!! is the way i was looking at it!!
Old 06-06-2008, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

amn. good find. I installed the inlets a few days ago and haven't put the steering knuckle back in yet. That was one of the first things I was going to do next. And I actually have one of those exhaust band clamps hanging around where I bought three and only used two and didnt feel like returning it for the 12 bucks I paid. I love when I save **** and get to use it. Makes being a packrat all worthwhile!
Old 06-07-2008, 12:50 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by barnat
I have my APS drivers side in my hand as we speak and im 99.9% sure this picture of yours is indeed the APS drivers side LOL!!Am i right???
Yes, and the worst part is when the strands of wires get snagged on the universal joint! Imagine trying to make a left turn over three lanes of traffic when your wheels aren't turning...... or not being able to get out of a turn!
Old 06-07-2008, 11:29 AM
FormerVendor

Not only does the duct wear with the UMI, but it also sucks shut not only at the knuckle but right in front of the turbo. A custom 3in alum or stainless duct would be the best bet in a situation like this. Ours was sucking shut at 9psi.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jake@EPP
Not only does the duct wear with the UMI, but it also sucks shut not only at the knuckle but right in front of the turbo. A custom 3in alum or stainless duct would be the best bet in a situation like this. Ours was sucking shut at 9psi.
Thats probably why incon had that wire formed into there hoses but the same guy help build this kit What did you do about it sucking shut at 9 psi? probably nothing a heavy type smashed spring or a piece of thin walled aluminum could fix??let me know guy Ive got other problems too LOL My Be Cool rad is defective and is mixing my Evans coolant and tranny fliuds together LOL It never ******* ends Im actually thinking of just by passing verses pulling the front of the car apart again !!But where else can i mount a tranny cooler???
Old 06-07-2008, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Actually some good news, LOL After installing that exhaust band type clamp today from the turbo side of the hoseyou can smash that clamp the oppisite way of the hose and it will keep the hose more open , it actually opens up that smashed part of the hose a bit if that makes sence at all
Old 06-07-2008, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default K member

Originally Posted by ls1greg
Yes, and the worst part is when the strands of wires get snagged on the universal joint! Imagine trying to make a left turn over three lanes of traffic when your wheels aren't turning...... or not being able to get out of a turn!
What K member are you running my man ??
Old 06-07-2008, 09:49 PM
FormerVendor

Thats probably why incon had that wire formed into there hoses but the same guy help build this kit What did you do about it sucking shut at 9 psi? probably nothing a heavy type smashed spring or a piece of thin walled aluminum could fix??let me know guy Ive got other problems too LOL My Be Cool rad is defective and is mixing my Evans coolant and tranny fliuds together LOL It never ******* ends Im actually thinking of just by passing verses pulling the front of the car apart again !!But where else can i mount a tranny cooler???
Sounds like you won a handfull of problems

The wire in the ducts do make it stronger but it still is weak, it was sucking shut right off the turbo, kinda where that small bend starts. It would start to get into peak tq and then boom down to 5psi. We yanked the ducts and it was fine.

The cooler we just relocated one to the nose, ended up welding on bracketrs onto the bumper core that put the cooler right up on the now deleted license plate bracket.

The coolant issue is a horrible thing, expecially with the evans coolant!! We did have one issue and it was a turbo that was cast wrong and lets just say the two evils mixed before the motor was fired up , aps fixed us up
Old 06-07-2008, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like you won a handfull of problems

The wire in the ducts do make it stronger but it still is weak, it was sucking shut right off the turbo, kinda where that small bend starts. It would start to get into peak tq and then boom down to 5psi. We yanked the ducts and it was fine.

The cooler we just relocated one to the nose, ended up welding on bracketrs onto the bumper core that put the cooler right up on the now deleted license plate bracket.

The coolant issue is a horrible thing, expecially with the evans coolant!! We did have one issue and it was a turbo that was cast wrong and lets just say the two evils mixed before the motor was fired up , aps fixed us up
So what do you do about the hose sucking closed on you??
Old 06-07-2008, 10:20 PM
FormerVendor

So what do you do about the hose sucking closed on you??
We ran a high temp brake duct tube untill the customer could bring it back down for a custom set of hard tubes that go around the K and not through it.

I would say this is a minor setback considering how well the kit is designed. The torque surge was that of a positive displacement, 9psi and 700+ hp sounds good to me!
Old 06-07-2008, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

We ran a high temp brake duct tube untill the customer could bring it back down for a custom set of hard tubes that go around the K and not through it.

I would say this is a minor setback considering how well the kit is designed. The torque surge was that of a positive displacement, 9psi and 700+ hp sounds good to me!
My plans are for 15 psi lol that why when you said hoses were shuting at 9 psi !! You got my attention LOL Please!!send me some pics of those custom hard pipes when your done and what K member is on this?

Quick Reply: APS inlet drivers side hose rubbing issue???