Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Need question answered about a LT1 rad???

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need question answered about a LT1 rad???

Hey guys, Im still trying to figure out way my tranny fliud and coolant mixed inside my NIB Be Cool rad yesterday My buddy said he thinks Be Cool sent me a LT1 rad instead of a LS1 rad ??He said another car at our shop which is a LT1 has the same Exact radiator in it as mine!!!Down to where the tranny lines go in !!He said on te LT1 this lines when filled with the radc coolant flow back to cool the engine oil back at the block!!IS THIS TRUE WITH THE LTI RADIATOR? If so??That exsplaines way this happened to me!!I just want to know if it bwas a rad defect or the wronge radiator???I gotta know!!Its my OCD kicking in guys LOL!!
Old 06-08-2008, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Some cars had an oil cooler. The oil cooler circulated water from the rad (I think drivers side) to the cooler that was between the block and the filter on the the drivers side. The trans cooler is on the passenger side.

I could be wrong on the location of the oil cooler exit (memory) but I think it came out the driver side. In either case, it sounds like you hooked up an oil cooler to your trans cooler lines. I d inspect it for two more lines, that should be trans cooler fittings.

The only other option would be a faulty rad..ie, crack, weld ncomplete etc..
Old 06-08-2008, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1320
Some cars had an oil cooler. The oil cooler circulated water from the rad (I think drivers side) to the cooler that was between the block and the filter on the the drivers side. The trans cooler is on the passenger side.

I could be wrong on the location of the oil cooler exit (memory) but I think it came out the driver side. In either case, it sounds like you hooked up an oil cooler to your trans cooler lines. I d inspect it for two more lines, that should be trans cooler fittings.

The only other option would be a faulty rad..ie, crack, weld ncomplete etc..
Nope ,thats there these two bungs are located on this Be Cool rad, the drivers side and one bung on the other side where a temp sensor is !! So, im thinking somehow Be Cool put a LT1 manual rad in my LS1 auto box and that would exsplain why my tranny lines and fluid were being as pumped into the coolant inside my rad !!Thanks my man Im almost 99.9 percent sure this is what happenedExspecially when my buddys other three rides with be cools have the trans lines on the passanger side !!
Old 06-09-2008, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would bet that they sell one rad for lt1 and ls1's. It does sound lke you got a manual rad though. Tranny coolers are always on the pass side.

You could keep it and ad an external cooler.....out here in the heat we run both the stock cooler and an external on a lot of things though.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1320
I would bet that they sell one rad for lt1 and ls1's. It does sound lke you got a manual rad though. Tranny coolers are always on the pass side.

You could keep it and ad an external cooler.....out here in the heat we run both the stock cooler and an external on a lot of things though.
Dude,,After this fool up Im scared to even picture ever useing a rad tranny cooler EVER !!!!again LOL!!!Be Cool looked at the pics today and admitted it looks like i got a LT1 rad with the cooler lines and it doesnt have a tranny cooler! I was like REALLY!! WOW!!! I never would have guessed that LOL!!I said dude!!Thats exactly what i told you this morning it was!! He went on to tell me how my builder should have caught this LOL!!I said to him DUDE ,,,First off,,, I bought the rad threw Summit for a 02 Camaro LS1 with a tranny cooler My receipt says the same thing bud !!!MY BOX SAYS THE SAME THING BUD we receive and opened said box,,, and long behold theres a brand new shinny Be Cool radiator with two welded bungs or ports on the drivers side and one bigger bung on the pass side for the temp/fan sensor. ANY and I repeat ANY BUILDER or home mechanic is going to look at those ports and say TRANNY LINE PORTS!!!Any mechanic in the world,!!!but your saying my mechanic should have known LOL!!!Yea,maybe if he worked at Be Cool and knew about such a thing as a coolant lines that cools a oil cooler!!on the LT1 which this radiator was made for. I told him after he said this Dude!!Its your fault that the wrong rad was placed in the right box!!! BOTTOM ******* LINE !!! he's still trying to pass the puke kinda It pissed me off somwhate,,, I think he was just testing me to see where and how much i was gonna take to see if i were the push over type??? Like yea, Your right Mr Be Cool,,, my builder should have known this was the wrong rad in the right box and those two welded bungs on the one side wernt for a tranny coolers but for coolant line distrubuters!!for an LT1 oil cooler on a manual LT1 car tranny!!LOL!!! O MY GOD IM LOOSING MY MIND WITH THESE GOOFY FuC$#NG PEOPLE !!!I know way people go postal, I really do!!
Old 06-10-2008, 06:08 PM
11 Second Club

as for the stock lt1 vs ls1 rad, they are roughly the same except that the lt1 has fittings for a low coolant sensors (2 i believe, one bottom drivers side, one top passenger side) as for the location of the hoses, the are the same. also the lt1 radiator is thicker (1.7? inches vs .89 inch for the ls1)

hope this helps and your situation really really sucks. good luck with everything
Old 06-10-2008, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I found out yesterday It was indeed a manual LT1 rad that somehow got put in a LS1 box !!The goof ***** at Be Cool are like your builder should have caught this LOL!!I was like dude if we worked at Be Cool Maybe LOL But any one that pulls a rad out of a box and sees two ports on one side and one bigger port on the other side ((temp sensor)) is going to assume especially after ordereing a trans cooled radiator, that those two ports are indeed trans cooler ports NOT COOLANT PORTS!!!!!LOL!!Its like hes admitted they screwed up but still wants to point the finger elsewhere !!!Ill definatly keep you guys posted on where this goes LOL!!As of right now,we flushed the engine 4 times and we got most of the Evans.Tranny fluid mixit out, but will further clean everthing once we drop the K member & tranny again to R & R the tranny back to Rossler, Im more or less looking for Be Cool to cover my builders time at $90 an hour and for them to cover the tranny bill from Rossler which im guessing is $700 Or $800 to totally tear down and rebuild this BRAND NEW NEVER RAN TRANNY the tranny, replaceing of all the clutches and seals that have been soaking in Evans coolant for the past 3 days and to have my brand new vigualaty torque converter sent back to have it also cleaned!! LOL and for my $500 Evans water pump thats had tranny/Evans fluid soaking in its sealfor 3 days now!! and labor,,, putting everything back together which im guessing for the whole job 15 to 20 hoursworking normal and thats tearing off and cleaning of the turbos too!! which have been soaked in Tranny/Evans for the past 3 days also. Do you guys think this sounds fair or like im trying to make money off of Be Cool???That being said,,, i also told Be Cool yesterday ide rather them pay these people derectly and no money to me !!!I think that says somthing about my honesty I want them to vcover what needs to be doneto make my car right ,,Nothing else If they dont I will smear their name everywhere till the day i die and summit allready has said to keep in touch to let them know how there taking care of me !!So im sure they dont want to loose Summit as a distrubutor !!!Im quit sure of that!! Well, Ill keep you guys posted and if any of you has any advice on how to deal with Be Cool,, Please Share with me

Quick Reply: Need question answered about a LT1 rad???