Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

PCV with FI

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PCV with FI

I know this topic has been gone over many times but I've searched and I've been reading threw post for a couple hours and I'm still confused.

My new 402 has the LS6 style valley cover. Could I just put a breather on each valve cover then run a hose from my LS6 style valley cover to a catch can then to the inlet side of the procharger?

If that will work how would I go about attaching a breather to the drivers side valve cover?
Old 06-23-2008, 10:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm running mine completely open and doing away with the PCV stuff all together. Small breather on the back of the drivers side valvecover (get a little riceboy push-in one at pepboys or somewhere similar - I measured last weekend, mine's got a grommet in it and I pulled the cap out that was previously there, it was about 5/8" diameter). I'm running another little riceboy breather (hoseclamp style here) off the valley cover metal hose end, and run a large breather where the stock oil fill is on the passengers side. (see speed inc - sponsor - for this). Blocked everything else off. Should work great and will be able to breathe fine.

This is also a good read with other options...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/734113-pvc-catch-can-system-final-conclusive-answer.html

I was considering a catch can style setup, but I'm going to try the above first and see how it does. Hopefully this new motor will be fairly tight and not **** oil all over the engine bay all the time.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:12 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you go with breathers on the valve covers, the whole catch can setup is completely not needed. Just plug off the nipples on the valley and valve covers.

Keith
Old 06-24-2008, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ls1290
If you go with breathers on the valve covers, the whole catch can setup is completely not needed. Just plug off the nipples on the valley and valve covers.

Keith
So ditch the PCV all together and just use a breather on each cover? I still don't understand how to attack a breather to the drivers side cover. I'm aiming for 850rwhp and this is a street car. Not sure if that changes anything with the way I should set up the PCV.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:47 PM
11 Second Club

I'm in the process of hunting one down. I'm not sure about your '01, but on 98-99 cars (mines a 98) has a spot on the back of the drivers valvecover where the stock PCV hose connected to the other cover. Previous owner pulled that hose and put a plug in that spot (when the ls6 pcv/valley cover was installed). The grommet that's on that cover leaves a 5/8" opening. Soo I'm hunting down a 5/8" push in style breather to go there. A friend of mine said they can be found at pep boys (some ricer brand, like matrix or spectre). I'll go by there on the way home and let you know if I find anything out.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can put a filter on the PCV opening on the back of the driverside valvecover, close of the nipples for the PCV line on each valve cover, get a filter from Thunder for the oil cap, and put a filter on the LS6 PCV nipple. That's what I've done. I burn oil because of the stroke on the 396 so this actually helps me burn less for whatever reason.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im running the breathers. No problems so far. I change the oil every 2k so im not too worried about contamination of water vapor.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:27 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are planning on running big power then you might want to re-think not using a catch can setup. Oil mist increases with the more power you make... You would be cleaning the motor after every hard run and if oil hits any hot parts expect smoke when you slow down.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My understanding of the PCV is that you need air to basically circulate in the crankcase to get rid of the harmful gas. You also need the system to be able to exhale crankcase pressure at WOT. Right?

So if that is right why would my first suggestion not work. Breather on each valve cover with a sealed catch can connected between the valley cover and the intake of the supercharger. That should pull fresh/filtered air into the valve covers down into the crankcase and back out the valley cover and give the pressure a way to excape under WOT. If more venting is needed I guess I could use a vented catch can but I really don't understand the point of a vent on the can as that would ruin the whole idea of the air being circulated threw the crankcase.

VINCE,
I really don't want an oily mess under the hood. Could you suggest a better setup than what has been mentioned? I've searched and read about a lot of ways to do it but what I really need is a link to the parts to buy and how to install it. Otherwise it is just a theory. I've read about connecting -12AN lines to the valve covers ect but no one mentions HOW to connect them.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:26 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I use to get the oil mist, but now I have a line going from each valve cover to the top of my catch can and I am using my turbo inlet pipe as my vacuum source to avoid oil getting into the intake. So far this is working for me. Now I have a clean engine..
Old 06-25-2008, 06:05 AM
11 Second Club

Well in case anyone was wondering, the little ricer 'breather' that Spectre makes (model #3995) fits in that grommet on the drivers side head. Remove the hose clamp from it, trim the bottom tapered edge off (well 1/2 of it) and shove it in there. It doesn't fit in there straight down, its at a slight angle towards the back of the car due to the coil pack bracket being a little in the way, but I don't think it's going anywhere. If you were worried about it you could put a dab of silicone on the bottom edge where the hose meets the grommet to help prevent it from popping out.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:48 AM
TECH Regular

Na$ty-TA has a nice set of valve covers with the AN fittings on them for the catch can

Quick Reply: PCV with FI