Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

APS kit: EGT bung in driverside EGR cover?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 01:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default APS kit: EGT bung in driverside EGR cover?

Would this be a good spot to weld in an EGT probe? I hear to keep it 2-6 inches from the exhaust port so I figured that would be ideal and I wouldn't have to tap the exhaust manifold.

Only problem I have is that my EGT probe uses a rubber pressure fitting and wormgear clamp that wrapped around the turbo log of my old kit. It doesn't actually have a threaded male side to fit into a bung. Where can I buy these pieces and how do they adapt to mine? Hopefully I won't have to get a whole new probe altogether. It's a Cobalt Autometer EGT Gauge. Thanks.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, I found it. I have type b. I need type a. Can I get that 1/8th NPT fitting at a local store or do I have to order it from Autometer? It uses a special set screw to clamp down to the probe. It receommends you just tap the manifold with a 1/8th tap. The EGR cover is pretty thick if I remember. I guess it should be good for two threads. Can I buy a 1/8th NPT bung to weld onto the cover so I don't have to worry about it? Where would I get that?

http://autometer.com/productPDF/0593A.pdf
Old 06-25-2008, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep us informed!!

Im doing the same thing as you in the same place too!! So keep us informed on how it goes !!
Old 07-01-2008, 03:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

btw, I called Autometer and they gave me the hardware that I was missing needed mount the EGT for free! Got it yesterday.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

please post pics one this is done. are you running a single EGT probe or one for each port??

one of the Corvette guys found that two of his cylinders where running hot (and thus lean) so he upped the fuel only to find they still where bad! it turned out it was two duff injectors! after some more tuning with a nice safe set up now he made a stackload more power! he really thought the EGT probes helped and it could have saved his motor....

Cheers

Chris.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'd like to do that but one, it would be very expensive and two, it would be a mess under the hood. I agree though, had he not had one EGT per cylinder, he would of never known he was lean in just those two sensors to make him think to have his injectors tested. I might have mine flo-tested before I put them in just to be on the safe side even though they are near new. I wanted to have it done to put the highest flowing injectors in the last two cylinders anyway since those are the two that usually run lean.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

very good idea there stolen! i have read a mag article about an engine tuner. he quiet often has to get customers to have their injectors cleaned because he just cant get the AFR down. it really is supprising. i also wonder how much new injectros differ in flow??

Cheers and good luck (hope you dont have any injector problems! )

Chris.

Quick Reply: APS kit: EGT bung in driverside EGR cover?